• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any guess on when the ice will go out on Horseshoe

When do you think the ice will be off Horseshoe enough to drive a boat from the river access to the winter access.

I'm going out on a limb and say April 18. We will need some real warm days for my prediction to come true wink

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• Horseshoe_Don

• mrpike1973

• JoeMX1825

I had guessed april 15th 3 weeks ago. That will not happen so I am going with April 22nd. It can go away quickly with the right weather. I am going to lose a month of open water fishing this spring over last year for sure. I was catching cats last year already.

Don

I will take the 19th of April.

So what does the winner get?!? smile

I was thinking a guided eel pout trip on the Sartell section of the river with carmike grin I hear he is one heck of a pout slayer durring the open water season wink

Ah....the eel pout factory will be in full swing as soon as the ice goes away, which should be a bit earlier up there than on the lakes.

But yes, if anyone wants a guided eel pout trip, lemme know.

Note: These are very, very, very small eel pout. smile

I'd be game for some pouting. I have never caught a pout in my life and would like to change that. Carmike PM me once the ice is out and let's set something up.

My prediction, April 23 rd at 3:16am, ice free........ smile. But then I've been wrong before. One thing I am absolutely sure of, my dock, lift, and boat won't be in the lake on March 31st like last year. I will report back on April 23rd at 3:17am...... crazy

My guess is April 10th, all it takes is Wind to kill the ice on the chain because the river channels open up early and pull the rest of the ice off with it..

I'll say Apr 17.

I remember last year I was on Cedar on a Sunday and their were full sized trucks on the ice, and the following Thursday there was a lot of open water when I drove by.

• 3 weeks later...

I am pushing my prediction back to May 1st. Might have to go up north so

i can use my LX-9 on the ice on opener!(LOL)

Don

My guess is April 10th, all it takes is Wind to kill the ice on the chain because the river channels open up early and pull the rest of the ice off with it..

Yikes, I was way off, I'm now guessing the 27th...

ice will be gone but i think it safe to say where done ice fishing there alot of water on top ice

ice will be gone but i think it safe to say where done ice fishing there alot of water on top ice

I'm not quite done yet wink going to get one or two more trips around here and one more in the Northern part of the state.

Can't take it any more, big weather system coming our way. Time to head out to the chain and see if I can find a little protection from the wind smile

No, no you won't, Jeremy.

But I'll still give you my super-secret spot if you want to go catch a bucket full of 10'' pout. smile

Carl

My hand anger is toast,I was at big spunk and couldn't get more then a few inches in.Had to fish out of some one else's left over open holes.Caught a few out of them.I'm not going to even bother sharpening the blades.I might be done.Hopefully the ice go's away soon.Or il just have to go eal pout fishing on the river,Somewhere...

Well, guys, if you're that excited to catch tiny pout, just PM me and I'll tell you exactly where to go.

Heck, I might even tag along for old times' sake. The "secret spot" is really just off the dock at the place I used to live. Now I'm living in St Joe, so I can no longer go down and slaughter the pout like the good ol' days. frown

Looks like the ice could go off the Shoe pretty soon, the river by the summer access is just about wide open. The river by the 22 bridge is also open and streching a little further into the lake with each passing hour. Not saying the ice will go out on the lake in the next few days or anything, but it's a step in the right direction anyway smile

could i get a boat on the water on the 22 access. just want to play around with the trailer and motor thanks

As of last evening you could have put a boat in at the access. Conditions could change pretty quick though, the ice could brek free from further up river causing ice to back up at the access being it can't flow further down river yet.

Rick,

how is the river looking at the Hwy 23 access right in cold springs. would the pier be out yet. I was out there last March and it was out. right in front of it is 9 feet deep(I scanned it with the fish finder last summer when I drove the boat tight to the pier)

Brad, ice isn,t looking too good at the 23 access, but it's still holding up. The downriver side of the 23 bridge is wide open, shouldn't be too long before it opens up.

Hmmm...so maybe my April 19th guess will work out?!?

I guess I can guide myself on that eel pout trip, too. smile