• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Targeting out of season species

ameteurfishing -- you were looking for gills. What do you suppose those bass were eating? Probably gills. I'm guessing you were in a good location for them if the bass were there. You very well might have been in the buegill honey hole of the whole lake, and that's why the bass came cruising through looking for a meal. Who knows, 5 minutes later those bass might have been done with their dinner and the gills might have come out to play.

Quote:
any other fisherman who would have stayed and just keep catching bass would in my opinion be breaking the law

Move if you want to -- that's your right. But, there's no getting around the fact that your opinion is wrong in this case -- if you stayed, with that little ratso and ultralight gear in a location likely to contain bluegills you would not be breaking the law.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ClownColor

• DTro

• TruthWalleyes

• fishnowworknever

+1

They're both in the 'sunfish' category. Whether feeding, moving, sunning, whatever-

they're in the same locations 90% of the time! You'd have no obligation to move from there. [PoorWordUsage]...

i was in a gill honey hole & not even know it?!! now that hurts...uh, well, I am an amateur, chalk another one up to learning curve

Actually they are both in the panfish category not sunfish. But common sense and logic is lost on most people these days.

Incidental catch and targeting out of season are two different things. An incidental catch is one of many catches targeting it fishing with the intent of catching said species.

Those bacon pancakes are friggen awesome!
Saweet been wanting to try them but been too busy catching walleyes muskies and pike over the weekend.

The warden probably wouldn't ticket you for targeting out of seson species, but he could ticket you for harassing wildlife. This I totally agree with. If you are fishing and catch more yhan a couple out of season fish it is time to move on. It is not so much a legal obligation as it is a moral obligation. Reading a bunch of these comments just strengthens my feelings that this country is spiraling down the drain. People saying I don't have to move because I don't won't to. You all sound like a bunch of spoiled 6 year olds. We need less of this dump and some more people with the balls to actually do what is morally right.

This comment made me laugh a little.

If I catch 2, 3, even 4 bass while fishing for sunfish, you're out of your mind if you think I'm instantly moving from that spot. I guess you can call me immoral by your standards, I won't lose any sleep over it though.

A couple blocks in one direction I can legally fish for bass and pike and walleye year round. A couple blocks the other way and it's "seasonal". Pretty silly imho.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share this experience with a CO this past weekend.

We were all but 2 short of our limit for 3 guys (walleyes). CO came up to the boat to check us, asked how many we had, said we were 2 shy. He asked who's fishing for walleyes. I told him I was fishing perch, one buddy said pike, the other said he was working on his 2 last walleyes. As he was there, my buddy and I were pulling in walleyes and letting them go obviously.

He said, have a great day fellas and good luck.

So to the person who said you need to move if you're catching out of season fish, or how about when someone already has a limit of a certain species and you're still catching those fish but not targeting them...you were wrong.

Oh yea, we were all using the exact same jig/minnow presentation.

Sorry I should have clarified.

Since 2 of us already had our limits we were not to be targeting walleyes. (His words not ours) Kinda goes hand in hand I guess, at least in my head.

I should have maybe started a new thread, with the appropriate subject.

You can still target a fish even if you have a limit. You just can't keep anymore. crazy

You have a license to fish. You can certainly fish, catch, and release all day long of a species in 'season' with few exceptions in some states on certain waters. Kenia River in AK for example- once you catch and kill your ONE king salmon for the day you are DONE fishing for them.

Ok I just called the DNR...that CO was somewhat wrong.

You can party fish, but once you have your limit you cannot target that species. I'm just the messenger here, that's what the guy just told me on the phone.

Oh well, didn't matter to us I guess we were still catching walleyes.

"You can party fish, but once you have your limit you cannot target that species"

...That's incorrect

This is exactly why they just need to spell it out in the regs. Maybe have a FAQ section or something in there.

I don't see anything in the regs stating you cannot keep fishing once your limit is caught.

Like on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd page of this thread.....The ONLY WAY you get ticketed for out of season fishing is if you ADMIT that is what you are doing.

I see NOTHING in the regulations that states you can not catch and release walleyes (Even if you already have a limit in your boat, or freezer).

Just FISH and forget the rest!

I believe where they can get you. Is if you have your limit of fish and then you catch another fish of the same species and bring it into the boat to unhook it. Technically you are now over your limit.

Page 13 of the 2013 Fishing Regulations, " Once a daily or possession limit of fish has been reached, no culling or live

well sorting is allowed. "

"You can party fish, but once you have your limit you cannot target that species"

...That's incorrect

No, he's right...once a limit has been caught you can NOT target them anymore.

I believe where they can get you. Is if you have your limit of fish and then you catch another fish of the same species and bring it into the boat to unhook it. Technically you are now over your limit.

Only if that fish is in your possession, catching, a quick picture and immediately releasing a fish does not count towards your possession limit.

Page 13 of the 2013 Fishing Regulations, " Once a daily or possession limit of fish has been reached, no culling or live

well sorting is allowed. "

We're not talking about culling or sorting. We're talking about fishing. There's no law that says you have to stop FISHING. I have a FISHING license.

We're not talking about culling or sorting. We're talking about fishing. There's no law that says you have to stop FISHING. I have a FISHING license.

Good clarification. I like that interpretation better. Thanks.

No, he's right...once a limit has been caught you can NOT target them anymore.

Only if that fish is in your possession, catching, a quick picture and immediately releasing a fish does not count towards your possession limit.

Possessing Fish

• Daily and possesion limits are the same unless otherwise noted. Fish are in an angler’s possession whether on hand, in cold storage, in transport, or

elsewhere.

Now in the same section of the hand book it says

While on or fishing waters with size restrictions it is illegal to possess any fish outside legal length limits

Now we all know in this case its ok to catch the fish take a picture, measure it and release it.

I agree its a bit of a fuzzy area. But I have read on this site a number of times of people getting ticketed for this.

For myself if the bite is good and I want to keep fishing I stay shy of the limit by one fish until I'm ready to leave

Quote:
Prove it, tell me exactly were it says in the regulations that I can't keep fishing (catch and release) for a species even though my limit is filled.

Quote:

I don't make the rules but here's where you'll get busted. Read the bottom of page 20:"Any fish that is caught and will not be utilized must be immediately returned alive back into the water. A person cannot wantonly waste a fish that is

caught by leaving it or any usable portion on the ice, thrown up on the

bank, or intentionally killing it and returning it back into the water unless authorized.

They claim you can't gurantee you won't kill a fish or gut hook one. and if you do, you already have your limit. Now, what about size restrictions? well-nothing you can do about that cause you can't target 16-18" walleyes...but you can control the fact that you already have a limit.

Don't get angry with the messenger

Ok I just called the DNR...that CO was somewhat wrong.

You can party fish, but once you have your limit you cannot target that species. I'm just the messenger here, that's what the guy just told me on the phone.

Oh well, didn't matter to us I guess we were still catching walleyes.

And did people not see this guy emailed the DNR and they said it was ILLEGAL to target after a limit was caught?

I've always disliked this subject.

Here's my view...

If you have a limit of (for example) 6 walleyes in your livewell and continue to fish for them, C n R only, they (DNR) claim if you catch one you are in possession of one over the limit, #7. Against the law?

If you are fishing on Mille Lacs, catch and bring aboard a 15 inch walleye(illegal to possess), you are still breaking the law. According to the DNR, you are in possession of an illegal fish. Is catching short fish and releasing them against the law??