• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Electric Augers

Question

I'm in the market for an electric auger for the permanant shack. Anyone have any advice on how well they work? jiffy vs strikemaster is one better than the other??
Thank you for any help!!

8 answers to this question

Wouldn't know from personal use, but from what i've seen the guys doing with them around me while I'm fishing, I think gas looks better.

Strikemaster just came out with one that runs off of a vexlar type battery. Suposedly, it can dril 20 some odd holes through 3 feet of ice on a full charge. Neat idea. It can also run off of a car battery and can be charged while driving or letting the engine idle.

I own a jiffy electric. It is a wonderful auger. It is hands down a better auger then the Strike master, I've seen them in operation, and there is no comparison.

Be very careful when the ice is getting thick to clean the shavings from the hole as you go. It isn't fun getting one of these stuck in the hole.

I own a gas jiffy too, and the electric gets most of the use... I get my holes drilled before most guys get their gas augers warmed up.

I just picked up the Strikemaster unit this weekend. I am looking forward to firing it up!...Um I mean Charging it up! I don't need to swiss cheese the lake when I'm out but I wanted to be able to bust a couple of holes alot easier than my Mora hand Auger. For me I believe it to be my best option. I also didn't want to mess with gas & oil I can charge it in a few hours and go. I may buy a spare battery for it to, but want to give it a few outings first.

I've had a strikemaster electric lazer for about 7 years. It cuts very, very well. The only disadvantage is hauling the battery if you're not driving out. You need at least a 750 to to get a good number of holes. I'm actually thinking about selling it because I no longer have a permanent shack, and getting a gas.

I've had the Jiffy Lectric now for a couple a seasons. I like the handle style for in the shack for next to the walls. It cuts great off the pick-up battery if its a good size battery and the pick-up is running. I can also cut 3 holes decently off a deep cycle, but then the motor and cables get a little warm and the power is reduced. Keep in mind, that when I cut holes I cut an average of 10-12 holes a weekend on Lake of the Woods sometimes thru 3 feet of ice. I never even take my extension off my auger. So has advatages and disadvantages. Never have fumes in the house, and it always starts. But you need a battery and a charger if you cut a lot of holes, plus its a little slower than a gas. Hope this helps.

------------------
End of the Line Charters
Lake Superior
1-888-U-HOOK-EM
www.fishontheline.com

I got out yesterday for a couple of hours and gave it a whirl. I have to say I'm pleased with the initial test. Drilled 9 holes with no problems thru about 8-9 inches of ice. It does not take as long as I thouht it would to drill a hole. We'll see how it holds up. Keep in mind there are no cables attached to an external batery. I think of it as a big cordless drill. One thing I did note is that I paid a lot more attention listening to gas powered augers across the lake.

Shaackattaack,
I know exactly what you're talking about. I was on Big Marine yesterday with my Electric. I had my 5 year old Daughter with. Every time I heard one of those things start up my ears did the dog thing. Then my daughter would say, "What the heck is that. I'm not that noisy am I Dad? Man I love the lectric....