• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Greg Jennings

Moonshine

The likely hood of Childs returning to ever play football again is @ 5%. I think the Vikes pretty much have to move forward with him not in their future plans.

It'll be interesting to see how the Vikes play the draft looking for the #2 WR spot. IMO, they wait until rounds 2-4 to fill the spot...eventually bringing in 2-3 guys to compliment Jennings and Ponder.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

• Scott K

• FISHINGURU

• zepman

I think we are realistic to look at the situation and say we got the best available FA that would take our extra $ to play here...not to mention that he is on the decline of his career at 29. Is he a good reciever? YES Is he better than any other option that we had? YES Is he worth being a top 10 paid WR? NO but that's what you have to do to get that caliber of a player to play with an unproven QB. Does he make this season a little more exciting? YES!!!!!

Agreed... prior to Jennings signing the Vikings rostered the least experienced/worst wr core in the league. Not sure how anyone can argue this was a bad move for a young inexperienced offense on a team with a good amount of cap room. Does anyone else in favor of this move feel like they watch more football than those fans who oppose the move?

I like Jennings a lot. Decreases the G.B. depth, gives the GOOD GUYS a proven pass catcher and role model for our young guys. Pluses all the way around.

We will draft 1-2 more receivers in the draft for sure. I am rooting heavily for Greg Childs also....probably be on pup list this year, but next year he has a chance to be fully healed....he has the work ethic, personality, and talent to make it back. Really hope that he does.

I think Spielman will take the top guys on his board, but virtual ties will be decided by position of need. I expect a DT, WR, LB to be the top 3 picks, but a CB could up there also if Winfield doesn't come back. I can't wait for the draft.

Not all Packer fans are butt hurt... He worked his way down to 4th on the receiver list... Cobb, jones and Nelson all filled the role fine last year while he was injured. They ll be fine without him. We need to get rid of Finley and find some NFL capable lineman and they ll still be hanging around the top. The whiney fans are the ones who really don't understand football... Good luck to Mr Jennings... The Vikes got a very good receiver....

And for what it's worth... I think Farve was probably telling him to stick it to Ziggy.... It worked for Brett!

Good Luck!

Ken

Jennings: I'd like to use a lifeline, Reeg... Let's call Brett Favre

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...th-vikings-deal

what's more entertaining is the laughable comments by all the butt hurt packer fans

Did you guys also notice that Favre was sitting next to Coach Frazier at the NFL MVP awards ceremony...

I noticed that and thought it was very interesting.

I miss the silver fox. If we would have had him in the prime of his career we wouldnt have wasted him with only 1 superbowl. We would have had 3 or 4 at least.

I miss the silver fox. If we would have had him in the prime of his career we wouldnt have wasted him with only 1 superbowl. We would have had 3 or 4 at least.
I'm rolling on the floor laughing. In fact, I think that I just soiled myself

Clear cut #1? Maybe with our core, but over all, not so much. There are several teams out there that Jennings wouldnt be their number 1. So clear cut, not overall. Clear cut for our squad, more then likely. You never know though. Wright showed some promise, and he could easily step up to fill Harvins shoes. We could still draft a stud receiver, and he could be the next Moss.

We will have to agree to disagree. Although admittedly our receiving corps are not great, Jennings could be a #1 on many teams. There are 32 teams and he is without any doubt in the top half. I would say top 8-15, but I know some will disagree. Keep in mind, the Vikings REALLY needed a receiver and he is also a great locker room guy.

There are no receivers anywhere in the same stratosphere as Moss coming out of the draft. Having said that, there are still some very good receivers and a deep draft for receivers at that.

Unfortunately I would put Childs at less than 5% chance of returning. I just don't see it happening. Wright however will do a nice job in the slot.

I'm rolling on the floor laughing. In fact, I think that I just soiled myself
Do you think it would have been 6 or 7? I thought I was being conservative with my 3 or 4 comment.

Lets break it down, Warren Moon, Bubby Brister, Cunningham, Jackson, Johnson, Bouman, McMahon, Bollinger, Fiedler, Culpepper, Salsbury, Hill, Frerotte, Holcomb. Of course not all of those were starters, but man, if we had Favre across all those years we certainly would have won several Superbowls. I cannot fathom how many points we would have put up in 98 with him instead of rubber arms Cunningham.

Captain Musky- you MUST be drinking heavily on your lunch hour. Seriously? This is the MN vikings. If they had Favre the whole career they'd STILL find a way to eff it up when it counted. That's the definition of purple pride. Just like Jennings' career going in a nose dive come september. You guys know that you still have Ponder as a QB right? ;-) Don't s**t yourself here. Thanks for the laugh though.

Captain Musky- you MUST be drinking heavily on your lunch hour. Seriously? This is the MN vikings. If they had Favre the whole career they'd STILL find a way to eff it up when it counted. That's the definition of purple pride. Just like Jennings' career going in a nose dive come september. You guys know that you still have Ponder as a QB right? ;-) Don't s**t yourself here. Thanks for the laugh though.

No liquid lunch and yes, its quite possible the vikings could have found a way to blow it, but in reality it just makes me sick the teams who have QBs for 10 years and we rifle through a dozen or so in the same timeframe. That's a lot of wasted draft picks or free agent signings.

How did Rodgers look in his 1st 3 years in the NFL?

Oh, thats right. He was riding the bench behind Favre. My point, dont look at what Ponder has done in his first two seasons and compare that to anyone else because most (with the exception of Manning) had the priviledge of sitting behind a veteran.

I think Ponder will be just fine. I could care less if he is a superstar, but I think he is going to be more than capable to run this offense.

This is the year to find out. If he still looks terrible its planning for a replacement, which we are good at finding replacements, just not good at finding quality replacements.

...but man, if we had Favre across all those years we certainly would have won several Superbowls.
It's that kind of thinking that leads to "If we just got So-And-So in free agency, we'll be Super Bowl Champs!"

Some people have short memories. I think I have this right but I'm sure somebody will tell me if I do not. grin

In Farve's 2nd year starting (1993) he completed 60.9 % of his pass attempts. He averaged 6.3 yards per completion. He threw for 19 touchdowns and 24 interceptions. His passer rating was 72.2.

Last year Ponder completed 62.1% of his pass attempts. He averaged 6.1 yards per completion. He threw for 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. His passer rating was 81.2.

I remember waiting for the Vikings to play the Packers because Farve was so bad.

Farve was worse then Ponder! They should have released Farve or at least benched him! grin

It's that kind of thinking that leads to "If we just got So-And-So in free agency, we'll be Super Bowl Champs!"
You can deduce whatever you want from it, but Favre's best numbers of TDs per INT and Comp % were when he was WITH MN, as an old fart!

And his best was week # 3 vs. SF the superfreak Greg Lewis with 2 seconds to go and they had like 10 d-backs trying to stop it. Put us at 3-0 after 2 road wins to start the season vs. Cleveland and Detroit, I knew then if he's healthy we may be going places. Easy to see why Manning in Denver had such a good year, the elite it just doesn't matter, everyone is trying to prove their worth to the hall of famers and those HOF'ers demand it often times without saying it. You think it will take Wes Welker any time to adjust to Manning, not much maybe a scrimmage or 2, once the terminology and timing are down and audibles are on the same page, good to go. Jennings well I hope it goes well, will it take him and whoever time to get it together, probably.

Some people have short memories. I think I have this right but I'm sure somebody will tell me if I do not. grin

In Farve's 2nd year starting (1993) he completed 60.9 % of his pass attempts. He averaged 6.3 yards per completion. He threw for 19 touchdowns and 24 interceptions. His passer rating was 72.2.

Last year Ponder completed 62.1% of his pass attempts. He averaged 6.1 yards per completion. He threw for 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. His passer rating was 81.2.

I remember waiting for the Vikings to play the Packers because Farve was so bad.

Farve was worse then Ponder! They should have released Farve or at least benched him! grin

Comparing #'s is ohhh so easy to do. The "eye" test said Favre always had "it"!

Ponder has $hit!!

I dont question Ponder's mental ability but that only goes so far. Favre always had a strong arm with the physical ability to put the ball anywhere he wanted. From what we have seen from Ponder there is reason to be concerned with his arm strength. It just seems like often times he cant do what he would like to. At some point he will have to be able to throw the ball deep with more accuracy than an up for grabs floater.

If my memory is correct, Favre threw for those 24 interceptions when he was 24 years old. I remember going into the next season, wondering if he was going to throw 25!

One big factor about Favre was that the kid had a lot of heart. His consecutive games record is a direct reflection of that fact. Heart does more than getting you through a painful injury. It inspires teammates to play their hardest. It's one of those traits that we have yet to see from Ponder. It doesn't mean that he doesn't have heart, but we haven't really seen it on display (yet).

Favre did have one of his best seasons with the Vikings, although that doesn't somehow mean that the Vikings would have won Super Bowls with him. A does not necessarily equal B, especially when B didn't have as good of a defense as A did!

One big factor about Favre was that the kid had a lot of heart. His consecutive games record is a direct reflection of that fact. Heart does more than getting you through a painful injury...

A bottle of pain killers every Sunday morning didn't hurt, either. Long live the streak! grin

For a stretch of his early career you are correct, but not from 1997 through 2010. The guy even stopped drinking

• 1 year later...

Yaaaaay, we got him!!

Only took a bunch of persuasion and an over paid contract!!

We just signed a solid #2 (for #1 money) but we still need a #1 WR.

Time for some of you guys to see how a real QB (Rodgers) makes a WR (Jennings) better then he really is.

This one is for you Bucky! Don't know why you thought I was in love with the Jennings signing and he was my guy. I've been wanting them to sign/trade for a real #1 WR and build a solid O-line for 10 yrs.

The good reading starts on page 11, people really thought he was a #1 WR, DrJuice claimed he was a top 10 WR in the league crazy

Vikings sign WR Greg Jennings (5 year, $47.5M; $18M guaranteed):

What a stupid move. I take back anything good I said about Pukeman. Hope you enjoy the toliet DR pukejuice and Slobs. Donkbridge should be happy too.

And this was my first post on the matter Guru. I screamed for us to get better on both lines before we started picking up overpaid freeagents. Sure looks like good ole Buck was right again.

$18 million guar.

That is like having the best houseboat on rainy lake but no motor to go anywhere. Its an absolute pipe dream to imagine Flounder can get Jennings the ball. He hasnt been able to make a full season in quite a few years. I think he has a great work ethic and attitude, but I just dont see how we get him the ball and how he stays healthy. Terrible move by the Queens.

How are they getting him the ball??

Jennings is a solid receiver he just needs a decent qb to get him the ball. He has been wide open and missed on a ton of different plays this year. Not saying he is a number 1 guy but put him on any of these teams with good qb's and his numbers would still be up there.

Jennings is a solid receiver he just needs a decent qb to get him the ball. He has been wide open and missed on a ton of different plays this year. Not saying he is a number 1 guy but put him on any of these teams with good qb's and his numbers would still be up there.

COULDNT AGREE MORE!

Sick of people complaining about jennings. Ive seen jennings open on so many replays where the QB either doesn't see him or gets sacked within 1.5 seconds of taking the snap. Jennings is FAR from the biggest problem on this team. He has good hands and catches almost everything thrown his way. Its the OFFENSIVE offensive line and inept QB play thats been Jennings biggest downfall as a viking. Look at the stats Jennings had in the games Cassel played last year. If you project them out for the season he would be a pro bowler. And that with CASSEL at the helm... Give it up with the greg jennings bashing. Matt Kalil as a 4TH PICK IN THE DRAFT and the rest of the O line is the biggest problem by far right now

I dont believe I ever said he WASNT a solid WR. But with so many other missing piece why the hell blow your wad on a WR??? What good is he when you cant get him the ball??

He is a $49 million dollar field ornament.

Looking back..........

grin