• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Greg Jennings

Moonshine

I agree that he's over paid, but we needed him in the worst way. Jennings, a healthy Simpson, Jarius Wright, and a #1 draft pick will make for a much improved WR group.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

• Scott K

• FISHINGURU

• zepman

Ok last post for me about Jennings, it's done and over don't really matter what any of us think about it.

Yes, but its fun to debate smile

You still havent answered what you would have done instead. If you say its over paying for him, then that would lead me to believe you had a better option in mind.

Guru, who are all these other WRs you are speaking of? There was 3 quality guys and that's it. Jennings is also no #2, but your opinion is what it is, I guess all the experts know less than you. He's a top 10 WR. FA works fast and he was giving GB the opportunity to pick him up. When that didn't happen he flew here and signed. I'd say the Vikes did a darn good job closing the deal so others didn't get that chance. But go ahead and walk away like a beaten dog.

I Jennings, a healthy Simpson, Jarius Wright, and a #1 draft pick will make for a much improved WR group.

I agree with EVERY part of this Fishhead except one.... Simpson im not so sure on. Everytime I think of Simpson the only two things I can see and hear in my head are A- The ball bouncing off his facemask on a really well thrown ball by ponder at soldier field for a key 3rd down drop to set the tone for the entire day there last year. And B- Sid Hartman saying Simpson is gonna be the next Cris Carter.

By the way the" injury" simpson apparently had last year is a really convienant excuse for everyone involved.

Yes, but its fun to debate smile

You still havent answered what you would have done instead. If you say its over paying for him, then that would lead me to believe you had a better option in mind.

You could pretty much get any Wr in the league if you want to overpay. Look at Chicago last year got Brandon Marshall for 2- 3rds. There's deals to be made out there that aren't in the public eye. Just because there's only a couple FA's available doesn't mean you have to be desperate and overpay a guy. There will also be another wave of free agency when teams have to make more cuts.

Juice you signing in as Yiggin now? Just because two guys agree about something doesn't mean they are the same person, if you look back just a few days ago me and Buck were butting heads about different subjects. I wouldn't expect you to be able to follow along though, your about as quick as Jennings is to be signed in this fast paced FA you talk about.

Ya I don't know how people don't like this move...we needed a good veteran WR that doesn't have an attitude and thats what we got...You can't depend on the draft for players if your in that much need at a position...You never know if them players are going to be a bust for example: TROY WILLIAMSON lol...I'm excited for this year, especially since AP is going to rush for 2500yds smile

"You could pretty much get any Wr in the league if you want to overpay. Look at Chicago last year got Brandon Marshall for 2- 3rds. There's deals to be made out there that aren't in the public eye. Just because there's only a couple FA's available doesn't mean you have to be desperate and overpay a guy. There will also be another wave of free agency when teams have to make more cuts."

I agree with you on most everything here guru. Sure i spose you could throw out a hypothetical trade, both our firsts for Larry Fitz or something, who knows about hypotheticals. Bears got Marshall for as cheap as they did cuz he is a cancer and its well known. And yeah, maybe you could get aromashadu's cousin to sign after the second waive of FA. But, when you look at the vikes individual situation i cant call it over paying for a quality man and reciever like Jennings.

This is why I call it over paying

Jennings pay almost 10 million a year, max cap 123 million, Jennings is now paid about 1/12th of our money. We need to pay 52 other players yet.

We need to pay 52 other players yet.

Really? No one else on the team is under contract already? you could narrow that number down a bit, cant ya?

Jennings is a top 10 reciever in the NFL and he has the 7th biggest contract for recievers. Not overpaid by any means...I was hoping for 5 yr 40 million best case. Rookie contracts are a fraction of what they used to be so saying that we need to pay 52 other players makes very little sense to me. Ponder was the 12th overall pick and he will be around 2.5 this year. The overpaid players on this team are Jared Allen (16 mil) and now Matt Cassel (4mil) IMO.

Quote:

Let me break it down so you can better understand

Don't bother breaking it down, FishGuru among-st other crazy assements like this classic fantacy land back pedal he's on here still thinks defense wins championships for petes sake.... grin

Stop being so hung up on the money people. The only thing that counts is what happens on Sunday. This is Professional sports they are all over paid every year in free-agency. Teams have needs and you have to pay to play.

Look at Baltimore now with the Flaco contract... it is what it is.

Anybody complainning about this move or making excuses based on what they have said previoulsy or think coulda woulda shoulda happened is in the minority and quite frankly clue-less to say the least.

Regardless if the move doesn't work because of injury or any other reason like Ponder sukking It's still a solid move that needed to be done.

I'm pretty sure AP is happy and thats good enough for me!

Jennings is a top 10 reciever in the NFL and he has the 7th biggest contract for recievers. Not overpaid by any means...I was hoping for 5 yr 40 million best case. Rookie contracts are a fraction of what they used to be so saying that we need to pay 52 other players makes very little sense to me. Ponder was the 12th overall pick and he will be around 2.5 this year. The overpaid players on this team are Jared Allen (16 mil) and now Matt Cassel (4mil) IMO.

Solid post~

Well, it's cheaper than we would have had to pony up to keep Harvin and while he is not the all around threat Harvin was, he has a better character and will hopefully be an asset as a WR. I am sure it wouldn't take long for me to make a list of 10 I would rather have than him and I would rather have them build the position in the draft but he seems like a good guy and a chemistry builder and signing him also depletes the roster of the enemy so in the end I can live with it.

But we do need to do a better job of finding guys like Jennings in the draft. For a bit of historical perspective, Jennings was the 52nd pick in the 2006 draft. The Vikings picked number 48 and too Cedrick Griffin and they picked 51st and too Ryan Cook. So they had 2 chances within 4 picks of jennings to have him from the beginning. We also took Tarvaris Jackson 12 picks later at 64. Out of the 3 picks we had in 16 from 48-64, none of those players are on the team right now (although ced probably would be if not for 2 horrific knee injuries) and we just paid a premium to get a player sandwiched between those picks.This is what I believe most guys want to see the team improve on.

Well, it's cheaper than we would have had to pony up to keep Harvin and while he is not the all around threat Harvin was, he has a better character and will hopefully be an asset as a WR. I am sure it wouldn't take long for me to make a list of 10 I would rather have than him and I would rather have them build the position in the draft but he seems like a good guy and a chemistry builder and signing him also depletes the roster of the enemy so in the end I can live with it.

But we do need to do a better job of finding guys like Jennings in the draft. For a bit of historical perspective, Jennings was the 52nd pick in the 2006 draft. The Vikings picked number 48 and too Cedrick Griffin and they picked 51st and too Ryan Cook. So they had 2 chances within 4 picks of jennings to have him from the beginning. We also took Tarvaris Jackson 12 picks later at 64. Out of the 3 picks we had in 16 from 48-64, none of those players are on the team right now (although ced probably would be if not for 2 horrific knee injuries) and we just paid a premium to get a player sandwiched between those picks.This is what I believe most guys want to see the team improve on.

Good post all around Purple. I agree the vikings need to find more guys like Jennings in the draft-

Since Percy was taken in the first round of 09' here are the recievers the vikings have selected in the draft-

2010- no wr drafted

2011- Stephen Burton

2012- Greg Chlilds, Jarius Wright

Not much of a list there, Wright may have a chance to be decent. If memory serves, the last guy we got from the draft at wideout that was good before percy is Randy Moss about 10 years prior.

Gotta do better then that

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Vikings sign WR Greg Jennings (5 year, $47.5M; $18M guaranteed):

What a stupid move. I take back anything good I said about Pukeman. Hope you enjoy the toliet DR pukejuice and Slobs. Donkbridge should be happy too.

LOL...you truly don't know how it works, do you. laugh

They might have overpaid...but...they have a top-notch veteran with sure hands to show the youngsters how to handle the pro game (If Ponder or Cassel can pull a rabbit out of their hat smile ). Plenty of WR talent in the draft..Nothing fantastic but it is deep. May make no sense to pick in the first if 2nd round talent is all that's left in the 1st round.

Spot on Rick, the only true 1st rounder is Patterson. After that it comes down to possession WR or WR/KR. If we don't trade up to get Patterson I wouldn't mind seeing the other Vol WR in purple, Justin Hunter- 6-4, 4.4 40, 39.5 vert., had a good year coming off ACL injury. Size and speed. We need another guy bad but I don't think waiting until after the 2nd round to pick one up is a good choice.

Don't bother breaking it down, FishGuru among-st other crazy assements like this classic fantacy land back pedal he's on here still thinks defense wins championships for petes sake.... grin

Better pay attention fellas, here comes the guy who thinks Junkson is a franchise QB. Oops sorry I mean T-Money!! Don't worry your homie Junkson might yet get ANOTHER shot to prove he's anything but a 2nd or 3rd stringer.

I don't know all the numbers and stats but...

I've had Jennings as one of my favorite wr's of the past decade and I'm glad he's wearing purple and not green. Big paycheck for him but I think he'll earn it.

Please just no more old spice commercials.

We still need a WR early in the draft. The problem is, we also need a middle linebaker and corner. They better have another great draft.

I remember people being disappointed in the Bernard Berrian signing, with a minority of people that were in favor of it. Now people are pleased with the Jennings signing, with a minority of people against it. Goes to show you that fans aren't as dumb as front offices make them out to be. Fans would rather see teams use their cap money smartly and build through the draft and I think you can argue the Vikings are still doing this. Much to be seen from the draft before you can judge how this offseason went.

really a top 10 WR?? He is maybe a top 15 a couple years ago he was a top 10 but not anymore...Fitz, Calvin, Victor, Hakeem, Demarius Thomas, Eric Decker, Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Wallace, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones, Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, Colston...there are 16 guys off the top of my head that I would take over Jennings right now

The one reason I havent dissed the move much, is that atleast Jennings can catch the ball. You dont know how many times, I watch a Vikings game, and just wonder, why all the other QB's throw a ball to a receiver, and they catch it, but the Vikes, it bounces off their hands. Jennings has a decent set of hands, and I will welcome that to the team, even if there are better players that we could have, rather then him. Did we over pay, no doubt in my mind, but he will help the team a lot, and that is why I am not going to complain about the move, and be glad they signed him. It will be nice to see a receiver actually catch a ball once in a while.

I am not complaining about the move at all...overpriced maybe but to say he is a top 10 reciever is laughable at best!!!

I am not complaining about the move at all...overpriced maybe but to say he is a top 10 reciever is laughable at best!!!

Well, he probably WAS. But with 1/4 Ponder n cheese people will forget his name after a season or two. LOL

Aside from the one good year Sidney Rice had, Jennings is by far the best #1 WR the Vikes have had since Moss left. While $9.5 mil/yr might be a lot to pay an aging NFL WR, I still love the move. They needed an effective WR who lines up on the outside more than just about any other team in the NFL... which is why they paid him more than any other team in the NFL was willing to pay him. Value is in the eye of the beholder - money well spent IMO.

I agree. With Jennings, we at least we have a clear cut #1. We haven't had that in a while.

I agree. With Jennings, we at least we have a clear cut #1. We haven't had that in a while.

Clear cut #1? Maybe with our core, but over all, not so much. There are several teams out there that Jennings wouldnt be their number 1. So clear cut, not overall. Clear cut for our squad, more then likely. You never know though. Wright showed some promise, and he could easily step up to fill Harvins shoes. We could still draft a stud receiver, and he could be the next Moss.

There is nobody in this draft that has half the talent at the WR position that Moss had coming out of Marshall!! So I don't think we will find someone with his talents but I am sure we could find a decent WR in the first 2 rounds. Wright definitaly has shown promise and I am sure that is part of the reason the Vikes dealt Percy...of course the offer and the issues with him played a role in that also but...

Can't believe Jennings isn't getting more love from vikes fans...Looking at his past yrs 4 out of the last 5 years he has had over 950 yds (he was hurt them last two) And thats with the packers ridiculous receiving core...the packers need to share more with us and we'll both have good WR cores haha...I think Jennings will be over 1000yds again this year, if they play him in the slot a lot...I think wright will turn out to be a good slot guy too...Am I thinking wrong or were they excited about that Childs last year before he tore both is knees up...And hes a big boy at 6-3 217...If just one of our young WRs ends up a good deep threat I think we will be in business