• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallmouth Bass

GravelBar

I am in favor of earn a walleye... Catch and keep a smallmouth, northern or a musky then you can fish for walleye. Honestly, there is more to this story than just predator to predator interactions. The lake is changing...

I am in favor of earn a walleye... Catch and keep a smallmouth, northern or a musky then you can fish for walleye. Honestly, there is more to this story than just predator to predator interactions. The lake is changing...

I can't tell if this is meant as a joke or not. I hope it is.

How do you propose they have a B.A.S.S. tournament out there when the possession limit is 0?

The DNR has the opportunity to grant any permit they want to, they just do not want to play ball with any of the big tournies be it Walleye Bass or whatever, but they could technically grant them a permit to hold the tourney, would at least show the potential of the lake to a national scene. a 30lb bag of smallies to win would open alot of peoples eyes.

Thats a can of worms they don't want to open. If they let a corporation like BASS have a tourny there then why can't my club have a tourney there...or any of the many other clubs and bass tours

if they had any gonads they would tell your bass club to go fly a kite, BASS is allowed there because they bring millions and great exposure to the area, your bass club doesn't. And sadly that is why they wouldn't, because then every tom Dick and harry that runs a crappy little tournament would scream and cry foul and make their lives a living hell.

Quote:
I can whole heatedly disagree with the money statement, the shops and resorts would have to change who they market to, but I can guaranty you that if the smallie was made king on Mille Lacs that bass guys spend about 5 times the money walleye guys do in the pursuit of their sport. Yes live bait sales would dip but tackle sales would go way up, probably ten times what it is now, out of state license sales would quadruple as well as lodging for the out of staters, there would still be eyes in the lake and they would still get that business but letting the word out on a world class smallmouth fishery in a beautiful part of the country would be a good thing for the area. The best thing for that area right now would be to allow a major tournament like bass to hold a tourney there, the area would flood with new revenue and I can tell you from years of experience in the bass fishing industry that bass guys spend money.

yep cha ching...its all about money. Theres a reason the old timers nicknamed them "sewer trout". Lets let the st's over-run the lake and the heck with the walleyes. That kind of thinking is as destructive as the nets. Make no mistake, the smallies are invasives just like the zebs and the milfoil. Mille Lacs is a walleye fishery. Dont make this lake into something its not just to pad your wallets. If you like bass fishing tournaments, move to the south. This is the northland! Ya der hey!

Red that is probably the biggest bunch of $&@! I've ever heard. Stop your crying and whining about your dam walleyes. Anyone that has any common sense knows that the walleye problem on the pond has to do with people! The netting and harvest of eyes is 95% of the problem. Stop trying to blame it on the other species in the lake. You my friend are a joke!

I saw a pack of smallies today. We were in a bad neighborhood so I made sure my wife and kids were safe. We locked the doors on the truck and got outta there as fast as we could. Ya can't be too safe these days around those smallies ya know! wink

I believe lack of forage for the walleyes on the lake is cyclical. But skinny walleye's are hungry walleye's. I would rather have skinny catchable walleyes than fat healthy and happy walleye's that can't be caught very easily.

Smallmouth, I want those as chunky as possible and on Mille Lacs that doesn't seem to be a problem. Probably because smallmouth love crayfish.

Yes, I agree hungry walleyes are much easier to catch. But if they are always hungry and easy to catch you will always have a lot of harvest.

A lack of forage and skinny fish can't be real healthy either.

yep cha ching...its all about money. Theres a reason the old timers nicknamed them "sewer trout". Lets let the st's over-run the lake and the heck with the walleyes. That kind of thinking is as destructive as the nets. Make no mistake, the smallies are invasives just like the zebs and the milfoil. Mille Lacs is a walleye fishery. Dont make this lake into something its not just to pad your wallets.

I find this kind of ironic since $ is the biggest reason the walleye population is managed.

So Bassfishn24,

Do you believe they should open up the harvest of bass on the lake to regular state limits. If not, then you're kind of hypochrite.

Like I've said previously..I don't mind if people keep a couple fish. I just think 6 is a little ridiculous.

Unless all of you walleye guys have done extensive research on the relation of smallmouth bass to the walleye population, you need to quit acting like you are all fisheries biologists. All fishing is about money so lets get that straight. I just hope that its not a slaughterhouse like you guys make it sound like its gonna be.

Is this potential regulation change supported by solid research or politics. The walleye population changed as a result of special regulations. Keep in mind that one of a small walleye's biggest predators is it's bigger parents.

Let's not turn this into a Green Lake situation where we have people slitting SMB throats and throwing them back. Mille Lacs is considered one of the finest multi-species trophy fisheries in the midwest and one of the best SMB fisheries in the world.

It's interesting that we hear about possible changes in limits or slots for smallies with limited apparent input from any Bass factions, and then to propose a 6 fish limit, rediculous and it smacks of placating the walleye whiners that have eaten their way to the current problem....I'd like to hear about some science to back up this pending rule change.

According to DNR test nets the two most common fish preadtors are perch and walleyes, by a wide margin. Granted test nets dont measure bass and muskies very well, but both fish dont thrive in most of the lake (basin/mudflats). If preadation is a problem for yoy walleyes it is pretty logical most of it is happening in most of the lake (basin/mudflats), where the two most numerous preadtors (perch/walleyes) rule. I think liberizing bass harvest would only result in poorer max bass size and more smaller bass to fill the void. End result weaker trophy bass fishery and little to no gain for walleyes.

Just my 2 cents, and love to fish for both.

Red For your info smallies are not an invasive in the Mississippi river basin, which last time I checked Mille Lacs has a direct connection to the Miss., so I would argue that they are not invasive and would have made their way in there eventually anyway, the same can be said for muskies.

Green Lake Spicer had smalley regs (C&R except 1 over 20")for several years. Walleye fishing went down. Took off the special regs back to state wide rules walleye fishing got better.

Although Green is a different type of lake than Mille Lacs it's still a premier smalley lake. Smalley fishing is still fantastic you need a limit of all 18"+ to even cash a check in tournaments. 20-40 fish days not uncommon. Just food for thought.

Smallmouth are natural to Mille Lacs. They have been there since records exist.

The reason they came on so big in recent years are two fold. One being, obviously, they were protected from any harvest.( but harvest was never a factor before the size limits were put on them)The main factor why they have come on strong is that the walleye numbers got to a point where another fish species could grow in numbers. A fish that produces in big numbers naturally,fast, if given the right conditions. Those conditions? Every lake has the ability to carry a certain amount of life per acre. That amount is not based on fish numbers, but in pounds per acre. Combined among all species in the lake. Generally, one is always dominant in numbers over the rest. Mille Lacs was always that in the form of walleyes. But then walleye numbers went down. And down, And down. (in pounds per acre and obviously numbers) And another species, that can produce fast, took off and took up the extra room, left by the lack of, historically low numbers of walleyes. Can you say crappies at Red Lake when the walleye went down?

Yes so maybe the smallies filled a niche, not caused a decline. The decline was caused by over harvest.

Yes so maybe the smallies filled a niche, not caused a decline. The decline was caused by over harvest.

Right....but by filling that niche,they become a bigger factor in low forage base supply that is now there to start with. So, all young of the year, walleyes perch and all, are now eaten by what is still a prominent walleye population that is huge in size and appetite, along with the added smallmouth numbers, big in both numbers and size of appetite. Right now, possibly, both species is large enough in numbers and pounds per acre, to curtail any decent amount young of the year walleyes and perch making past editble size. This whole thign wil lnot be fixed in 1-2 years. Think Red Lake again?

The same could be said for what happened on Red with the Crappie Boom. They have always been there, but a few years of successful spawning coupled with the fact there were so few walleyes to compete with they thrived.

No protection for them by harvest limits and the fact that intensive stocking efforts for walleyes have occurred the population has dropped significantly.

The same could hold true if smallmouth are removed from the "protected" list.

I dont want them to get rid of smallies because there is obviously room for them to be there, but reducing the numbers would surely aid in helping the walleye population rebound. Other things need to also be done to bring the walleyes back, but allowing the harvest of smallmouth is one thing that would help.

Northender speaks the truth. I can sense a fishery science background in his posts. The large predators in the lake need to be reduced to allow the forage base to rebound. The main large predators are all the big walleyes that have been protected for years. Smallies, Muskies, and Pike fall in line behind the large walleyes as far as population numbers go but they all play a role. They all are just another mouth to feed and the forage base can only support a finite predator population. I suspect the DNR will try to knock off some smallies, muskies, and pike since their hands are tied because of the "harvest quota" on walleyes.

Makes sense Superduty, but if they truly want to sustain the walleye resource then they're going to have to keep quota limits down, even after the population rebounds. Otherwise, we're going to be right back in this situation again.

I have to admit that I was wrong about Smallies being invasives. Mille Lacs is on the northern edge of their natural range and they have been in there to some extent all along. Warmer water temps and the protected slots have dramatically increased their numbers. My point is, watch out! Letting them get out of hand is a Pandora's box that they my not be able to close.

• 3 weeks later...

The fisherman inside of me hates to see an amazing thing like Mille Lac's world class smallmouth fishery be put in any type of danger. That said, the realist in me understands that the Mille Lacs lake area thrives off an economy driven by the walleye.

The above makes for a tough situation in itself... throw in the tribal stuff on top of it all and you really have yourself a complex problem. Nothing is ever simple with Lake Mille Lacs. All of the politics constantly surrounding it tarnish the lake's appeal IMO... it's a shame really.