• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

State High School Tournament

Bear55

Unfortunately even if you eliminated open enrollment and private schools, "Recruiting" will never go away. Too much money and politics involved to get rid of it.

The sadder thing is that a lot of the best high school hockey players aren't even in the system anymore and playing in the MNJHL or for teams like Shattuck.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Bear55

• DTro

• DrJuice1980

I agree DTro that it will never go totally away but it surely could be controlled by the MSHSL alot bette than what we have now.

At least try.

I'm not with the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality but it seems unfair to have a school with way less numbers attempt to compete with the big boys and ones that recruit. Hermantown played out of their arse last night against a school that had no business being there in single A. Yes, you will, every couple if years have a solid group of kids from 1A be able to compete at AA but for the most part grouping them all together is not fair one bit. There is no fool proof method but I think next years tourney won't have the controversy or nearly as much.

Hermantown may be doing it right, but from what I hear from friends in the Duluth area is that they recruit. They do it at the lower levels though. Who wouldn't want their kid to play for Sertich at the bantam A level.

Edina does it that way also. Hurley was an Eagan player in squirt for 1 year and the next him and 2 others are playing for Edina.

Willie Brown(IGH/Hill) and Jake Wahlin WBL both played Bantams for Woodbury.

Heck I have seen kids that were in private schools their whole life transfer back to public school cuz the HS coach told them they would play for the private school.

Eden prairie football is probably the biggest recruiter in the state. Coach Grant and his boosters are the biggest opponents of adding another HS out there.

Sad to say but it will never stop.

According to the coach for Hermantown in numerous interviews Bruce said he DOES not recruit at all. He even stated he has gotten calls from parents asking if thier kids could play for them and he stated that he told the parents to have thier kids play for thier home town and make them proud.

That's from his mouth, not rumor. Lot's of people assume alot but we need fact.

He doesn't have to recruit, if the parents want their kid to play there they sign them up. Open enrollment.

How about a 3 tier tourney? A AA and nonresident.

Nonresident tourney would be for any team that has players from outside of their district lines.

Harvey, did you know Tim Egan, he play at SSP in the late 60's.

Well, Bruce the coach of Hermantown states as I posted above that he tells the parents to have the kids play for thier hometown and make them proud. So no, even with open enrollment, Hermantown does not sigh them up or recruit. At least that is what he states and has said in the past. Also has been in the newspapers that he does not allow those kids to play for his team that he coaches.

Yes, I remember the name. Some of the others in that era that were good were the Bonk,s and Warren Miller along with of course many others.

Then of course the best from SSP, Mr Phil Housley.

I grew up in WSP. Tim is retired but works PT where I work. Great guy. He went out east and played D1. I am in between him and the Housley era.

If I remember correctly, didn't WSP beat SSP in the section finals Phil's senior year?

I went to that game, was the score 4-3? I believe this was in 1981. Was the game in St Paul at the Fairgrounds rink?

Other notables from SSP and in the Hockey Hall of Fame, Ken Yackel and his boys played for SSP also and Doug Woog, a coach for years for SSP, maybe that was in your era with WSP.

Lefty Smith, a longtime coach from SSP was probably a bit before your time as I think he left in the late 60's to early 70's. Long time ago to remember.

I was class of 81, Phil was 83 I believe. Sibley went to state in 83. The 81 team was pretty good though. A lot of good battles in the 70s and 80's.

I had talk to Rak, (he ran wakota arena) and he said that they are lucky to get 100 fans at a Sibley SSP game now. Most of Sibley's good players go to Cretin,STA, or Hill now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.