• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

State High School Tournament

Bear55

This DE vs CE game is more like it! Much better game to watch.

I agree! The players look faster and it's just better all around hockey. I love the state tournament!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Bear55

• DTro

• DrJuice1980

A lot more then on here

I guess putting on that neat little cadet uniform gave you enough confidence to think you were first class material. Also gave you that tough guy edge. Wish I went there... Always wanted to think I was better than anybody else.

Sorry, it's just too easy.

Hope this HM/Wayzata game is as good as the previous. I think HM will take it though.

[quote name='DrJuice1980I guess putting on that neat little cadet uniform gave you enough confidence to think you were first class material. Also gave you that tough guy edge. Wish I went there... Always wanted to think I was better than anybody else.

Sorry' date=' it's just too easy. [/quote']

Never said I wore a uniform or said I was better than anyone else.

Just saying if you where to spend some time with some of these young men you would have a different opinion.

I guess I have to take Hill as it's really tough to root for Edina.

Tough year to be a hockey fan, Hermantown is giving me a little hope right now but lots of time left.

Just saying if you where to spend some time with some of these young men you would have a different opinion.

DP don't take offense, no one is really dissing the school itself or the kids. More so the hockey program which is long overdue to be playing with the best in the state. I'm sure the coaches on the kids have wanted to move up to AA for a while now and finally it will happen next year.

The coaches are in control of playing with no class. 12-0, 11-0 is just flat out poor sportsmanship. There is just no need for that at all. Gosh I hope Hermantown doesn't lose this one.

Question, why in the first period when the hermantown skater was 1-0 and tripped did they not get a penalty shot? Sanme thing the day before in another game and that was a penalty shot.

Then right before the last winning goal, STA held or neck collared a Hermanrtown guy in front of the net yet no penalty.

I notice at least 3 penalty's in the 3rd peropd that could have been called on STA but they let them go. Ok, thats fine, lets play to see who wins and then Hermantown gets the box.

I'm lost and speechless to say the least.

What a dissappointing hockey tournament. Its almost turned into a joke. This was the best tourney there was at one time, but not anymore. The private schools have taken over and theres no parity in the game at all.

What a joke of a call on Hermantown at the end. Who makes that call in a state title game?? Then no call on the blantent hold just prior to STA game winning goal. STA fans can enjoy there cake.

Gosh I hope Hermantown doesn't lose this one.

Feel sick right now. Have to give Hermantown credit for playing a heck of a game, just too bad they couldn't pull off the upset.

STA... well they get about as much credit as I would give Hill Murray for moving down to single A and winning 3 titles in a row.

I have played and watched hockey for close to 45 years. I have never seen a championship game where the refs had a hand in the final outcome.

You would have thought STA brought the refs.

I never like it when a person blames a loss on the refs and even without the bad calls, STA still may have won but why hand it to them???????

Plain and simple, if you are going to have a 2 class system, which you shouldn't in the first place, then private schools belong in AA. Bottom line.

I have played and watched hockey for close to 45 years. I have never seen a championship game where the refs had a hand in the final outcome.

After getting my first chance to see the penalty, I have to agree. Tight game in OT for the championship, What a joke. If you have to call a penalty, it should be a darn clear one!

Not a fan of private schools, I prefer to call them money schools along with Eden prairie, Edina, woodbury, tonka, Wayzata. You get the hint. Families from these cities tend to have higher income and can afford the extra camps and AAA teams and such. They can also afford private schools or a second home/apartment in another townso their son can play in that association.

There was 3 kids on STA that I have coached over the years. 2 of which are very fine young men a 1 is a #@$%!^. These kids act like their parents.

Having 2 boys of my own that played with or against most of these kids in the tourney you get to know who is a real a$$ and who is down to earth.

I wish these kids would stay and play where they are suppose to but That won't happen so I just keep rooting for the public schools. Except Edina. I have another kid I coached playing for Hill, I won't watch the game because I can't stand either team. I will watch the Gophers and hope the HS game gets cancelled after 10 OT's. lol

So now the fight begins, what section will STA end up in. No one wants them. District 8 was forced to take their B bantam team about 4-5 years ago.

Happy to see bruce laplant speak his mind after the game in the press conference. No doubt the MN state high school league will either put a letter in his file or penalize him, but kudos to him for speaking his mind.

His small town team had to compete against a team of all stars from WI, KA, MO and players across MN. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that isn't fair. I'm glad he shared his comments....

DTro, did it change your thoughts a little on having 2 classes? I think the 2 class system is just fine now that STA is no longer single A. Other sports have multiple classes, gives those small towns hope. Could you imagine EP football going up against a AA school?

Why not have Hermantown move up too? Seem to be pretty successful in their own right. One class. EVERY kid does not need a ribbon.

It's nice to see st thomas move to class aa. It will give some of these other teams a chance to win.

Why not have Hermantown move up too? Seem to be pretty successful in their own right. One class. EVERY kid does not need a ribbon.

HELLO, anyone home?

How in the world does compare the 2 schools?

I am not sure if this is serious or if you are just kidding. Sorry

Easy fix for a 1 tier tourny. Dump the recruiting and go back to the 1 class tourny.

Back in the late 60's while I attended South St Paul, it was fun to see the smaller schools defeat the big city schools and back then, they still had a chance to do that.

Many times I watched the Warriors, Rams and IF come to St Paul with the best team in the state. Cannot forget Grand Rapids and Greenway of Coleriane either. But, they did not have all the recruiting they have now so the smaller northen schools could win. This recruiting has ruined HS hockey tournies, not like they were in the 60's at all.

Move ahead some years and create more private schools and all the kids going from this school to that one and now the smaller teams cannot compete with the privates and some of the larger schools. One can look back at the records and see what I mean.

I would love to see it go back to a one tier hockey tourny but end all the kids going from this school to that one, no more recruiting.

Even though I lived in SSP during most of my high school time, after moving away, I always find myself routing for the northern smaller schools unless SSP makes it.

I remember all the tournies SSP made over the years and getting to approx 5-6 championship games and then to lose it. It was tough but I would still go back to the 1 class tourny.

They are a school that seems pretty consistant in single A that is for sure. At the same time everyone use to scream about Warroad moving up and they havn't been around in a while. These smaller schools just can't reload like the privates and large public schools. They usually have a group come up through the ranks that is good and they have a one to two year window to make good and then slip back with the pack.

Even if you eliminated private schools/recruitment from the tournament you would still deal with open enrollment. Just like in the video I posted, Bruce said he had several emails from kids from different schools asking to come and play for him.

Having said that, the state tournament is about having the best team in the state. I think all sports should only have one class. Yes, it basically eliminates a shot of most schools competing, but it also makes for a better game when that small school does finally make it.

It's one thing to have the best team in the state but when you have players like STA with players from numerous states on your high school team, I am sorry but that is wrong.

Hermantown does it the right way.

They bring thier players up through thier system and then groom them along the way. You do not see them recruiting as Bruce is so against that.

Now, STA, where can we get out next stud players, state lines mean nothing.

Its not just private schools and its not just hockey. I happen to know of a certain wrestling program in the South East Metro that conveniently finds out of state kids on their roster.

I'm sure it happens in all the sports.

All I am saying is, work with the kids you have in your system and this recruiting can go away.

I have no issues with kids changing schools for academics but when they promote building thier sports teams, that is so wrong and the MSHSL should be ashamed of them selves for allowing this.

Noit sure anymoe what the difference is between a college hockey team is and a team that does alot of recruiting.

Seems the MSHSL promotes winning and not participating.