• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

State High School Tournament

Bear55

Unfortunately even if you eliminated open enrollment and private schools, "Recruiting" will never go away. Too much money and politics involved to get rid of it.

The sadder thing is that a lot of the best high school hockey players aren't even in the system anymore and playing in the MNJHL or for teams like Shattuck.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• Bear55

• DTro

• fishing tech

I agree DTro that it will never go totally away but it surely could be controlled by the MSHSL alot bette than what we have now.

At least try.

I'm not with the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality but it seems unfair to have a school with way less numbers attempt to compete with the big boys and ones that recruit. Hermantown played out of their arse last night against a school that had no business being there in single A. Yes, you will, every couple if years have a solid group of kids from 1A be able to compete at AA but for the most part grouping them all together is not fair one bit. There is no fool proof method but I think next years tourney won't have the controversy or nearly as much.

Hermantown may be doing it right, but from what I hear from friends in the Duluth area is that they recruit. They do it at the lower levels though. Who wouldn't want their kid to play for Sertich at the bantam A level.

Edina does it that way also. Hurley was an Eagan player in squirt for 1 year and the next him and 2 others are playing for Edina.

Willie Brown(IGH/Hill) and Jake Wahlin WBL both played Bantams for Woodbury.

Heck I have seen kids that were in private schools their whole life transfer back to public school cuz the HS coach told them they would play for the private school.

Eden prairie football is probably the biggest recruiter in the state. Coach Grant and his boosters are the biggest opponents of adding another HS out there.

Sad to say but it will never stop.

According to the coach for Hermantown in numerous interviews Bruce said he DOES not recruit at all. He even stated he has gotten calls from parents asking if thier kids could play for them and he stated that he told the parents to have thier kids play for thier home town and make them proud.

That's from his mouth, not rumor. Lot's of people assume alot but we need fact.

He doesn't have to recruit, if the parents want their kid to play there they sign them up. Open enrollment.

How about a 3 tier tourney? A AA and nonresident.

Nonresident tourney would be for any team that has players from outside of their district lines.

Harvey, did you know Tim Egan, he play at SSP in the late 60's.

Well, Bruce the coach of Hermantown states as I posted above that he tells the parents to have the kids play for thier hometown and make them proud. So no, even with open enrollment, Hermantown does not sigh them up or recruit. At least that is what he states and has said in the past. Also has been in the newspapers that he does not allow those kids to play for his team that he coaches.

Yes, I remember the name. Some of the others in that era that were good were the Bonk,s and Warren Miller along with of course many others.

Then of course the best from SSP, Mr Phil Housley.

I grew up in WSP. Tim is retired but works PT where I work. Great guy. He went out east and played D1. I am in between him and the Housley era.

If I remember correctly, didn't WSP beat SSP in the section finals Phil's senior year?

I went to that game, was the score 4-3? I believe this was in 1981. Was the game in St Paul at the Fairgrounds rink?

Other notables from SSP and in the Hockey Hall of Fame, Ken Yackel and his boys played for SSP also and Doug Woog, a coach for years for SSP, maybe that was in your era with WSP.

Lefty Smith, a longtime coach from SSP was probably a bit before your time as I think he left in the late 60's to early 70's. Long time ago to remember.

I was class of 81, Phil was 83 I believe. Sibley went to state in 83. The 81 team was pretty good though. A lot of good battles in the 70s and 80's.

I had talk to Rak, (he ran wakota arena) and he said that they are lucky to get 100 fans at a Sibley SSP game now. Most of Sibley's good players go to Cretin,STA, or Hill now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.