• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2013 Vikings off season

Scott K

Speilman has been drafting since like 2006 pal

YAAAAAAAAAAAWN, Spielman has been President of Player Personnel since 06, last year was his first year with complete control in the draft as the GM pal.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• DrJuice1980

• FISHINGURU

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

YAAAAAAAAAAAWN, Spielman has been President of Player Personnel since 06, last year was his first year with complete control in the draft as the GM pal.

I hate to break into the middle of all you buddies because you call each other pal, but where are all the "Webb" people now?

I mean, 90% of you armchair coaches said he should be the starter over Ponder and look how well he did.

At any rate, I am not that worried about Ponder. I wouldnt pay 10 mil for Jennings with his injury issues.

From a draft standpoint, it remains to be seen how Wright and that other receiver will play out, but the rest of the draft was pretty stellar so that bodes well for years to come.

This draft is full of WR, why pay tons of money for some primadonna like Harvin or Jennings, when they can get a good couple years out of a rookie?

This is similar to what the Patriots and Packers have been doing and its worked well for them.

I really hope the Vikes figure a way to get Winfield back in purple because his mentorship is priceless even if he lost a step or 12 on the field.

He had as much say then as he does now. Remind you they didnt have a GM then.
If there are 3 sides on an equilateral triangle each side gets an equal share of 33% right? But if there is a dot, this dot would get 100% right? How does 33% equal 100% again?

Spielman could not make sole decisions prior to last year. Not saying he is Nostradamus or anything, but he was not able to make these decisions solely on his own and it was quite obvious that he and Chilly didnt see eye to eye a lot.

more research? look up who are GM was then, oh wait there wasnt one. Speilman played that role minus the title and check. He had as much say then as he does now, he just doesnt have a little cry baby like Brad in his ear.

What are you guys talking about? Ponder was ABSOLUTELY a Spielman pick. why do you think he is sticking behind him so stead-fastly right now?

If there are 3 sides on an equilateral triangle each side gets an equal share of 33% right? But if there is a dot, this dot would get 100% right? How does 33% equal 100% again?

Spielman could not make sole decisions prior to last year. Not saying he is Nostradamus or anything, but he was not able to make these decisions solely on his own and it was quite obvious that he and Chilly didnt see eye to eye a lot.

No franchise has 1 guy working the draft, there are many front office people involved and the head coach. They work together, nice one Pythagorean.

more research? look up who are GM was then, oh wait there wasnt one. Speilman played that role minus the title and check. He had as much say then as he does now, he just doesnt have a little cry baby like Brad in his ear.

How about stop and listen to what everyone else is telling you? I guess we can't expect you to follow along with the team when you can't even follow along in the forum, why did you pop into the offseason thread to post about Spielman anyway when everyone is talking about Wallace and Jennings in this thread and there is a seperate Spielman thread all to his own?

OK one more time try to follow along now, can you handle it?

Spielman had about 1/3 of the say on who we drafted since he's been here. Along with the coaches and the owners. Got that part yet?

The owners realized it isn't smart to not have a GM so they hired Spielman LAST YEAR TO HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OF THE DRAFT.

That way the owners can worry about owning and the coaches can worry about coaching and the GM can worry about drafting.

RICK SPIELMAN TOOK CHRISTIAN PONDER- PERIOD GURU. YOUR WRONG. Rick Spielman selected christian ponder and anyone who thinks differently is fooling themself.

I am surprised there has been no mention of bringing Ryan Fitzpatrick in. I realize he is not a great QB, but has had some good moments and would be a good competition partner for Ponder. He is also real smart and could possibly teach Ponder something. I would bet he would be pretty cheap as well.

That's ok to think what you want Yiggin and Juice but the FACTS are Spielman has had 1 draft so far with complete control and it was a good one.

I also remember one of the first thing Frazier said when he was hired as coach is he wants to draft a QB to be our franchise player. At that time it was still a group decision you can speculate all you want who actually wanted Ponder. Maybe they all did? I can tell you if Spielman wanted him but the coach and owner didn't then he wouldn't of been drafted.

The verdict is still out on Ponder anyway, you can't say right now if it was a good or bad pick. If you made your mind up on a QB in the first couple season all of the piestains that end up being decent would be gone. Eli was junk, Flacco was junk, everyone wanted them gone off their teams and then a few years later they win the Superbowl.

Glad to know you have all the FACTS, bud. I bring my opinion, you bring factual evidence. Pat yourself on the back Claven.

Locker was their guy going into the draft...the Titans took him a few spots in front of us. We panicked and picked Ponder.

Fitzpatrick probably wouldn't be on Spielmans radar because he is probably better than Ponder...Spielman has said he is NOT bringing in anyone to compete with Ponder for the starting job.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard...see R. Wilson and the Seahawks on that one.

Locker was their guy going into the draft...the Titans took him a few spots in front of us. We panicked and picked Ponder.

.Spielman has said he is NOT bringing in anyone to compete with Ponder for the starting job.

The "we" is Spielman.

The fact hes not bringing anyone in to compete with him tells you right there its spielmans pick and hes gonna force him on us regardless. He did play well down the stretch last year so there is hope. but not if they dont give him someone to make plays on the outside its gonna be ugly.

I would take Matt Cassel if he was released, but I wouldnt trade for him, and his bloated salary.

Fitzpatrick would be a decent mentor as well, but I think Cassel is a better baller.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

That's ok to think what you want Yiggin and Juice but the FACTS are Spielman has had 1 draft so far with complete control and it was a good one.
FG is spot on here. The rest of you who think otherwise really need to get a clue. He had a good year drafting last year, so let's see how the 2013 draft pans out this year. I remember some of you complaining about the Harrison Smith pick last year some were complaining about the Walsh pick. Who's eating crow now. smile

Originally Posted By: zepman
Spielman has said he is NOT bringing in anyone to compete with Ponder for the starting job.

Agree with Zep's opinion on this one. Unless Spielman is positioning himself for the draft or other QB activity.

I was one of them saying the Smith, and Walsh picks were dumb. I am happy to eat crow on that one.

Rick G- Ponder was a Spielman draft pick. Its well known by everyone except for a few guys on here apparently. If spielman didnt take him, who did? Ziggy? Leslie? not a chance boys.

Its hilarious how everyone worships every move Spielman makes now after 4 good draft pics in ONE draft. How Dare I question the "draft guru" Ricky Spielman. Now you guys all believe Spielman didnt take Ponder, it was someone else... Right..... Riiiggghhhttttt

Yeah, i was wrong about harrison smith. Called him the next Tyrell Johnson. It was an idiotic statement. I can admit it.

I also said the Carlson and Simpson Signings were stupid the second they happened last year and I remember several people, pretty much everyone, bashing me for that one. ya win some, ya lose some

Here is the bottom line: WHO CARES WHO'S PICK PONDER WAS! Its ancient history and we now have him. Its not like he is going to disappear from the friggin roster because someone knows it was Spielman who picked him. Its like listening to two kids fight over a sucker......LET IT GO!

I leave for a day and this forum fills up with stupid.

Slobs and Juice. WHO CARES IF SPIELMAN DRAFTED PONDER. If he stinks we will eventually move on. This franchise was a disaster after Childress. It is going to take 5 years to rebuild. I dont neccessarily think he is that great, but I am pleased he is building through the draft and not free agency.

To sign a big FA WR means absolutely nothing. Does it translate into production?? Its about economics. There is something called opportunity cost and risk/reward. We could sign a huge contract or mortgage the future and the guy could totally flop. (Cough, Cough) Herscel Walker.

And it is very possible to draft someone that is better than Wallace and Jennings.

And Juice. U never shared with us if you were GM who your starting WRs would be. 1,2, and 3???? Then where are you going to get the money to improve other positions??

I can't believe how everyone on here except me and SLoBs thinks that Speilman was just in it last season. He's had draft input since 06. Just because he got the GM title a year ago doesn't make him the sole decision maker in the draft. Yeah he's got a lot of input but to think others don't have a voice is pretty laughable. they had good picks last time around but they also picked up some duds on the market that put us in a bad situation money wise. The "he's had 1 draft" comments are a joke. And he was a big player in getting Ponder, which I have yet to even say was a bad choice. Hopefully Speilman will back his ace with a couple solid WRs. It's ironic though how most of you on his jock think this team is no good. We don't have a terrible squad here, we made the playoffs and that's pretty good. Now we need a passing game, a couple WRs that can run routes and catch balls will leave us better than last year. If we can shorten up that D we will be more of a contender.

I leave for a day and this forum fills up with stupid.

Slobs and Juice. WHO CARES IF SPIELMAN DRAFTED PONDER.

BECAUSE EVERYONE ON HERE THINKS PONDER WASNT A SPIELMAN PICK! THATS WHY BUCK!

Sorry for trying to set it str8

I will reserve judgment on Spielman to see what he has in mind for the rest of FA. Getting Felton and Loadholt back was good. Signing Simpson and Henderson again was terrible... spin it how you want, I hate it.

Yeah, he had input, but was never the sole decision maker. U remember when Childress just all of a sudden traded our 3rd rounder for Randy Moss?? Childress was the only one that knew. ANd u remember when Childress had to have Tavaris Jackson?

and where are you recievers Juice??

1. ???

2. ???

3. ???

I can't believe how everyone on here except me and SLoBs thinks that Speilman was just in it last season. He's had draft input since 06. Just because he got the GM title a year ago doesn't make him the sole decision maker in the draft. Yeah he's got a lot of input but to think others don't have a voice is pretty laughable. they had good picks last time around but they also picked up some duds on the market that put us in a bad situation money wise. The "he's had 1 draft" comments are a joke. And he was a big player in getting Ponder, which I have yet to even say was a bad choice. Hopefully Speilman will back his ace with a couple solid WRs. It's ironic though how most of you on his jock think this team is no good. We don't have a terrible squad here, we made the playoffs and that's pretty good. Now we need a passing game, a couple WRs that can run routes and catch balls will leave us better than last year. If we can shorten up that D we will be more of a contender.

I think Speilman did a good job last year, and the verdict is still out on this year, but if we pick up Urlacher I am gonna have to really reconsider it.

Todd McShay bashed the Ponder pick. Still, Minnesota needed a quarterback, Ponder played in a pro-style offense at FSU, and he is NFL-ready with perhaps the draft's most accurate arm. It's not bad. Behind Ponder, you can't question the value of any of G.M. Rick Spielman's remaining selections. DeMarcus Love won't stay at tackle in the pros, but he could be a mauling right guard. Kyle Rudolph is a starter in two-tight end sets. Brandon Burton and Christian Ballard were second-day prospects, at least according to draftniks. Brandon Fusco is a developmental center. Ross Homan, De'Aundre Reed, and Stephen Burton are great late-round fliers.d

The above was takin directly off espn's 2011 post draft analysis- NOTE THE LINE THAT SAYS-"you cant question the value of any of GM Rick Spielmans picks"

Also note how the ONLY good draft pick from that year was Kyle Rudolph.

Guess i dont have a clue what im talking about and im just filling this thread with "stupid"

LOL!

And Juice. U never shared with us if you were GM who your starting WRs would be. 1,2, and 3???? Then where are you going to get the money to improve other positions??

WRs: sign Jennings, 11.5 a yr he's our #1, move up to get Patterson as our #2, Wright is our #3, Simpson #4. Draft a LB with our 2nd pick, this draft is loaded with LBs. we can find a nickel back somewhere. What else do we need because I can't see anything drastically needed. All we really missed last year was a passing attack and a LB. Yeah #26 will be missed but his slot can be filled. We got like $15M in space. We'll be just fine shelling out for Jennings. He can run a route and catch a pass we are starving for a guy like that.

WRs: sign Jennings, 11.5 a yr he's our #1, move up to get Patterson as our #2, Wright is our #3, Simpson #4. Draft a LB with our 2nd pick, this draft is loaded with LBs. we can find a nickel back somewhere. What else do we need because I can't see anything drastically needed. All we really missed last year was a passing attack and a LB. Yeah #26 will be missed but his slot can be filled. We got like $24M in space. We'll be just fine shelling out for Jennings. He can run a route and catch a pass we are starving for a guy like that.

What are we missing? How about money. We do not have $24M in space, we have $10-$11.