• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2013 Vikings off season

Scott K

Quote:
Vikings re-signed WR Jerome Simpson to a one-year contract.

Vikings fans will hardly miss Percy Harvin. Simpson's return is a major surprise for a team that appeared dead-set on moving on after he caught just 26 passes for 274 yards his first year in Minnesota. Now he's back as the Vikes' nominal No. 1 receiver until they inevitably address a WR corps that was among the worst in the NFL last season. Simpson's athleticism is ever appealing, but he's not going to have fantasy value in 2013.

I think we have our WR problems figured out now crazy

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• DrJuice1980

• FISHINGURU

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

Quote:
Vikings re-signed RT Phil Loadholt to a multi-year contract.

The Bears tried swooping in on Loadholt; GM Phil Emery may now turn his attention to Jake Long, or perhaps more affordable Sam Baker or Jermon Bushrod. At 6-foot-8, 343, Loadholt's return is a huge plus for Adrian Peterson. Loadholt recently turned 27 and graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 4 run-blocking offensive tackle in 2012. He's missed one start in his four-year career.

Quote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports members of the Vikings' organization "aren't thrilled" with GM Rick Spielman's decision to cut Antoine Winfield.

Winfield has been the best slot corner in football several seasons running. "It's a move backwards," is how one club official characterized the move. Despite his age -- 36 in June -- Winfield immediately becomes a top-ten cornerback available in free agency. We'd rank them like this: 1) Aqib Talib 2) Sean Smith 3) Brent Grimes 4) Winfield 5) Keenan Lewis 6) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 7) Derek Cox 8) Chris Houston 9) Antoine Cason 10) DeAngelo Hall.

i like twon but not at age 36 and making 7.5 M. We have to get younger..Maybe he takes a look at whats out there and reconsiders the paycut. Cant blame him for that..Had a good year last year but i just dont see him staying healthy and playing FT and being injury free. Vikings and Twon knew this was coming..Now on to K Williams.. It is a business from both sides...

$6.25 mill/year for Loadholt. We needed to resign him, but that is a LOT. Makes him a top 5 highest paid OL in the NFL...

A more than serviceable OT is hard to come by. He's worth every cent. Now on to our other need...

Quote:
The Vikings have re-signed starting linebacker Erin Henderson to a two year deal, and apparently are backing away from free agent WR Greg Jennings, according to Tom Pelissero of 1500espn.com

Jennings isnt worth the 10+ million he wants. I hope we dump him back on them.

Looking towards the draft one guy I really like is Arthur Brown. The guy is a beast, takes on blockers well, explodes to the football and through the gaps and can cover the pass. As far as receivers go I think Robert Woods is gonna be a good pro. I really hope they take a good look at Brown though, he is gonna be a stud.

We resigned Henderson too? Wow. I hope this is a special teams move only. What about Hendersons game did Spielman like last year? He was terrible! You cant tell me Henderson and Simpsons $$ wouldnt be better off spent somewhere else.

Gregg Jennings would be the best outside reciever we've had here since Moss the first time. Plus he knows the in's and out's of a division foe. There are alot of +'s signing Jennings. Name 1 man in this draft that would step in day 1 and contribute more then Jennings- you cant because he doesnt exist. Im really starting to wonder about Ricky.

Mark my words- the loss of Winfield is gonna hurt too This team is going backwards right now.

I saw on another site the Vikes had a 5 yr./45M offer on the table for Jennings...

The Pack supposedly has a similiar offer on the table but slightly less.

WHAT ABOUT IT IS SO FRICKEN HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND??? Do you think Jennings can throw the ball to himself? He is injury prone and dam near 30 years old. Funny how the Packers and Steelers are letting their "BIG" recievers go and we think we gotta have them. Their trophey cases are full. Ours are empty. They arent afraid to take years and reload and develop new players. They actually realize you cant win it every year. Unlike Queen fans.

And just because they cut Winfield doesnt mean he wont be back. Do I like him on our team? Yes, but not at $7 million when he wont play half the time.

We resigned Henderson too? Wow. I hope this is a special teams move only. What about Hendersons game did Spielman like last year? He was terrible! You cant tell me Henderson and Simpsons $$ wouldnt be better off spent somewhere else.

Gregg Jennings would be the best outside reciever we've had here since Moss the first time. Plus he knows the in's and out's of a division foe. There are alot of +'s signing Jennings. Name 1 man in this draft that would step in day 1 and contribute more then Jennings- you cant because he doesnt exist. Im really starting to wonder about Ricky.

Mark my words- the loss of Winfield is gonna hurt too This team is going backwards right now.

Jennings says going to a team with a really good QB is huge. So I doubt we backed away he probably was the one backing away. Jennings wouldn't be the same player as we seen while A-Rodge was his QB.

Exactly. Jerry Rice in his prime would look like Benchwarmer Bob with Ponder throwing the ball. He cant throw the back shoulder or the simple ten and outs. Forget 30 yards down field.

We will be better off going for someone like Danario Alexander who can compensate for some of Flounders terrible throws by using his big body to shield defenders. Gonna cost way less and could have much bigger ROI. Allows us to get another guy too. I really like Tavon Austin. On the right team he will be a stud.

I dont expect the playoffs this year. But I will be expecting a lot 2 years from now.

Jennings says going to a team with a really good QB is huge. So I doubt we backed away he probably was the one backing away. Jennings wouldn't be the same player as we seen while A-Rodge was his QB.

Ok, whatever Buck. Rick will save us with his masterful drafting im sure. I mean, he got 3 starters and a K last year, hes the best.

Robotic Voice- I love rick spielman. every move he makes is the right move. every pick he makes is the best. he can do no wrong. i love chong simpson and erin henderson. they are ballers, i can see why we resigned them. Rick clearly has a master plan.

Better?

No kidding? HES THE BEST QB IN FOOTBALL! Jennings wil be taking a step back where ever he goes unless its to the saints or patriots!

Hed still be by far the best wideout with our worthless bunch and only a moron would argue that. But im sure rick will just make two brilliant picks and solve our wr woes in the draft though, so forget it.

Exactly. Jerry Rice in his prime would look like Benchwarmer Bob with Ponder throwing the ball. He cant throw the back shoulder or the simple ten and outs. Forget 30 yards down field.

We will be better off going for someone like Danario Alexander who can compensate for some of Flounders terrible throws by using his big body to shield defenders. Gonna cost way less and could have much bigger ROI. Allows us to get another guy too. I really like Tavon Austin. On the right team he will be a stud.

I dont expect the playoffs this year.

Yeah great insight, grab another #2/#3 WR, that's what we need. Did you watch many games? Ponders ball may not be the best but how many dropped balls did you see? How many terrible routes did you see? How bad were the WRs at creating space? You want to blame Ponder? You can't make steak out of a shart sandwich. Austin would be a mistake, how great did Hester look on paper before going league? Great return guy but a #4 WR just to fill a spot. We don't need to throw a high pick away on a special teams guy. I'd rather take the honey badger later in the draft.

No kidding? HES THE BEST QB IN FOOTBALL! Jennings wil be taking a step back where ever he goes unless its to the saints or patriots!

Hed still be by far the best wideout with our worthless bunch and only a moron would argue that. But im sure rick will just make two brilliant picks and solve our wr woes in the draft though, so forget it.

Lol, what exactly did you want the guy to do in his first season as GM. Did you miss the part where I said Jennings wants a really good QB? He might take a step back anywhere else but I don't think he wants to step back to highschool.

You really want to spend 10+ million on Jennings? Just because he'll be the best WR on the team isn't saying much, I'd be the best WR on the team. Don't believe me? Ask Buck he already knows I could get more sacks then Jared I am that mean.

Buck, by your logic Ponder may as well have 3 practice squad turds at WR on the field bouncing balls off their chests because he sucks anyway. The man needs some help out there for cryin' out loud.

Its time to get a professional recieving corps on the field. Ponder will be out of excuses then.

Juice...PONDER SUCKS...period!! Wouldn't matter who you put on the field with him.

I believe Hester was a DB coming out of college...

Without signing Jennings...where are you going to get your #1 WR? All the remaining FA's and draft guys are all basically #2 and #3's.

If you haven't noticed...this team needs #2 and #3 receivers badly...anything would be an upgrade over Jenkins and Aromatherapy!

We've been getting #3s and very questionable #2s forever. Don't you think it's time to change that mentality? Hasn't it proved failure? I guess go out and do it again, we'll see a different result. Lets waste some more money on a Carlson like signing.

I agree with that. The problem with this year is there were/are no real good choices. Wallace and Jennings being the top 2 guys...yuck, really.

Alexander would be a good signing going forward...big upside for probably less than Carlson $$$.

Darius Heyward Bey might be an option...line him up on the outside and just tell him to RUN!! He could keep a safety off the LOS.

I still think Slick Rick has 2 potential starters pegged in the draft...it would be nice to bring in at least two FA's who have some experience.

Carlson took a big pay cut today. Down to 1.2 from 4 million. I am guessing this is his last chance to prove he belongs in the NFL. Like other big FAs Carlson was once thought of to have huge upside, just like Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings. But, injuries have plauged him throughout his career. If he doesnt vastly improve this year he will be gone. And I even think it is possible they cut him during the season.

And juicehead tell me who you would get to be our 1,2,and 3 recievers for next year.

Good #1 WR dont grow on trees, and teams release them about as much as franchise QB's. Jennings, and Wallace were good #2 WR's, but on our team they could easily over take #1 spot. That doesnt make them worth 10 million+. I think we pick up a few #2, and 3 receivers, draft best available in the first round, then hope for the best this year. This team haas way to many holes to be trying to buy a championship, especially with over spending to get a mediocore at best #1 receiver.

I think we pick up a few #2, and 3 receivers, draft best available in the first round, then hope for the best this year. This team haas way to many holes to be trying to buy a championship, especially with over spending to get a mediocore at best #1 receiver.

+1.

Did you guys see the press conference with Harvin. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for the Vikings and that respect goes both ways. Coach Frasier and I are very close friends so that had nothing to do with it either". Lol Man this kid is full of $hit.

They're worth what ever somebody pays them. They are both solid and reliable WRs and that is what we have lacked forever. They got to be the best #2s in the league if they arent #1s. Calling these guys mediocre is a bit of a stretch. GB is WR loaded, and its more a system now than before, yeah the WRs they have are good but they are loaded with guys that can catch a pass. They dont nessesarity need Jennings anymore. They need the cap space to pick up a good O lineman and are in the hunt for Jackson. That doesnt mean they are throwing him away because hes no good. It would be nice to see him in purple.

And this team doesnt have a lot of holes, there are only a few. We were a playoff team with no passing game. The few holes we have are big.

Carlson was an idiotic signing from the start last year, just like chong simpson. Im telling you guys, if this team goes into the season with two rookies from the draft, Jarius Wright and Chong at WR they are taking a big step back. Their recieving corps will be WORSE then last year... how is that even possible?

I love how everyone says "this team isnt a super bowl contender anyway" so we should do NOTHING in FA. you guys make ZERO sense. apparently 10-6 and making the playoffs didnt happen last year and we should just take a step back and lose this year. Its hilarious, it really is.

Tell that to Adrain Peterson. Go run out there agianst 10 in the box and get your a$$ kicked all season long cuz we dont wanna pay for a professional wide reciever to take some heat off. We have been aweful at the WR position since Sid Rice and Percy were together for 1 year. its time to fix it

They're worth what ever somebody pays them. They are both solid and reliable WRs and that is what we have lacked forever. They got to be the best #2s in the league if they arent #1s. Calling these guys mediocre is a bit of a stretch. GB is WR loaded, and its more a system now than before, yeah the WRs they have are good but they are loaded with guys that can catch a pass. They dont nessesarity need Jennings anymore. They need the cap space to pick up a good O lineman and are in the hunt for Jackson. That doesnt mean they are throwing him away because hes no good. It would be nice to see him in purple.

And this team doesnt have a lot of holes, there are only a few. We were a playoff team with no passing game. The few holes we have are big.

Did you ever think maybe some of Jennings, and Wallace's goodness may come from their Qb's? If you think for a minute, either of these WR are going to produce anything near what they did with Ponder throwing them the ball, compared to Rodgers, and Roethlisberger, then your nutz!