• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Advice for 6/28/13-7/2/13

walleye.bill

I know it is a ways away, but I'm looking for advice for this summer. Last year we fished Mille lacs for our first time during the Cabelas National Team Championship and fell in love. This year I am meeting up with my Dad and brothers from OH, I'm from NE. I'm pretty sure the eyes will be easy and I'm guessing we will be on the mud, but I have never really fished for smallies and we would like to give that a shot. They are more bass guys, so any help or ideas on smallies that time of year or any tips in general for eyes etc. Would be appreciated. Was hoping to stay at Appledorns originally as that is where we were last year and loved it, but they were booked. So we will be fishing out of the red door resort this year, which looks very nice in its own right. Thanks ahead of time guys.

Red Door is a nice place- smallies will be shallow on the rocks- you can toss jigs or crank baits - they should be really active - they are a blast to catch too- lots of energy and a nice diversion from the walleye bite if it is slow. Have fun!

Shallow rocks are the ticket pretty much all year 'round. I fish up on the northwest end, and the bass are pretty much everywhere....just chunk and wind a crankbait or topwater until you find them, or use a dropshot/wacky rig/soft plastic jerkbait/senko/jig/tube on them if they're more finicky.

We've also nicknamed the 5'' Gulp leeches "bass crack" because they can't resist them, on a bobber or on a drop shot.

Have fun!

Talk to Bob or Steve at Red door when you get there and they will give you the tips you need.