• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Changing pike regs

pikerliker

I had read a recent article I believe in the St. Paul Pioneer Press online concerning changing regulations to help the Walleye issue on Mille Lacs. The author of this article talked about things that we have all heard discussed such as the over the top protection of small mouth, netting, etc. One thing that caught my eye was that the above mentioned were included with changing or eliminating the protective pike slot.

From what I understand it is more damaging to Walleye populations to have multiple small pike munching down on fingerling and fry Walleye than it would be for bigger pike eating the occasional larger Walleye. We are repeatedly told that big Muskies have little effect on Walleye populations, so why would that be any different for trophy Pike? I honestly don't see that as an issue. What are your thoughts?

Yeah, blaming pike as having anything to do with the walleyes is pretty lame. With that being said, I wouldn't have a problem if they relaxed the bass regulations a bit. Might even be better for them if anglers were allowed to keep a couple to eat.

+1 Walleyes and Pike have lived together in the lake for as long as we can remember. Never has been a problem before, must be something else gone wrong.

its a people problem. regulations of any sorts are due to the negative human impact. if there wasn't a human issue element, i bet the lake would be doing just dandy...

I thought the article was more about managing for larger northern unless I am thinking of a different article

There are a "carp ton " of pike in the protective slot. They are a force to be reconed with when it comes to protecting food sized fish. Don't forget they spawn early....the first hog to the trough. I would love to keep one or two that I could actually filet without a deboned mess as a result. Low 30s woul be great for pike eaters IMO.

There are a "carp ton " of pike in the protective slot. They are a force to be reconed with when it comes to protecting food sized fish. Don't forget they spawn early....the first hog to the trough. I would love to keep one or two that I could actually filet without a deboned mess as a result. Low 30s woul be great for pike eaters IMO.

There would be a "carp ton" more problems created by wiping out the larger ones. The one things the lake/walleyes do not need is a bazillion hammer handles swimming around.....which is what would probably happen by wiping out the larger pike. In complete due respect, if you need help filleting a 26 inch pike .....would be glad to show you sometime.

A low 30s pike is no big pike. My point is there is an extremely healthy population of protected pike. Just like the walleye fishery. Protected or not who keeps the hammer handles? Not enough to dent the population. Big pike are plentiful as well. Just throw a pounder bulldawg you will catch em. FYI. No need for help with my blade just pointing out the meat to scrap ratio on hammer handle. I'd love to see low 30 or under keeper slot. No need for me to keep a trophy.

Mille Lacs has had a very stable and healthy pike population for decades, basically since spearing was banned. The pike are the least of the worries when it comes to the walleye decline. I have fished pike on the pond for many years and if you can get 10 in a day you are having a banner day. The population is by no means too high! Now the smallmouth.... whistle

Funny they use the excuse of big pike being a problem but nothing about big muskies?

Wait.... I know why $$$$$

Probably because there just arent that many muskys in the Pond! Sure there are some monster fish out there, but when you look at the fish per acre of water....its deifinitly not the Muskys fault, or Pike for that matter. Any new change with esox regs will be nothing more than a PR "feel good" move.

The lake gets hammered 9 1/2 months outta the year by fisherman, MOST of which like to keep anthing they can...oh ya, then it gets hammered for another month with nets...Whos the problem????

Mille Lacs has had a very stable and healthy pike population for decades, basically since spearing was banned. The pike are the least of the worries when it comes to the walleye decline. I have fished pike on the pond for many years and if you can get 10 in a day you are having a banner day. The population is by no means too high! Now the smallmouth.... whistle

Exactly!

IMO smallmouth are the single biggest factor to the decline of walleyes. THey should open a commercial fishery dedicated to removal of smallmouth out of the lake because next to no one keeps them so any changes in slots or limits will be pointless.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy catching smallies, but the lake is chock full of them and they eat a LOT of forage. Pound for pound more forage than walleyes, muskies or Pike.

I guess I should have commented on the proposed changes to the pike regs too. I really think the limits are good as is because it does seem like there is a good representation for many age structures. So changing it doesnt seem necessary to me. My pike catches are incidental though fishing walleyes or muskies. So I suppose if I targeted them specifically I could have a different opinion.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy catching smallies, but the lake is chock full of them and they eat a LOT of forage. Pound for pound more forage than walleyes, muskies or Pike.

I am curious how you came up with this? Why would a 2 pound smallmouth consume more than a 2 pound walleye, pike or muskie?

Very high metabolism! Thats why they fight like crazy. I like smallies too, but I really think they need to be put in check. BTW They taste great and most can't tell the difference between smallie and walleye, never seen a parasite in one from the many lakes and rivers I have harvested them.

Very high metabolism! Thats why they fight like crazy. I like smallies too, but I really think they need to be put in check. BTW They taste great and most can't tell the difference between smallie and walleye, never seen a parasite in one from the many lakes and rivers I have harvested them.
Exactly right.

Smallies are also very susceptible to over harvest. That's why they are C&R only statewide in Sept. They school up tight and are easy to catch. If Mille Lacs smallies do in fact taste good (I've never eaten one) and the bag limit is opened up to six, it will only be a couple years before that population is decimated as well.

Thats a valid point and the season certainly could be closed starting Sept 1 like it is on the Mississippi River.

Either way, I dont think there is going to be a mass exodus of full buckets of smallies from Mille Lacs or any lake for that matter. People just dont keep them. I think you could have the limit at 10 and it wouldnt make any difference. I have never seen anyone keep any.

I would be interested to see creel surveys on numbers of smallies kept and could definitely change my mind, but from what I have seen I dont think harvest would be an issue.

I bet we would all be suprised and shocked if we sat with a DNR Survey person at a landing sometime as to what goes home with people to eat.

Just a thought, but what would happen if the walleye anglers were as adamant about releasing their fish as musky and bass anglers?

It's a current trophy lake for some species (smallies, muskies) and an up and comer for others (northerns).

Smallmouth are tasty. Would I keep more than 2 or 3 over a whole season? Nope. But they are good eating. Way better than a largemouth. whistle

Smallies are very close in taste to walleye and are better smoked. Would be good to get some of the brown carp out of there! laugh

With the 21" minimum, I don't think people were inclined to keep smallies to eat. In alot of circles 21" is a pretty dang nice smallie pretty close to 6 lbs. Most people probably felt inclined to release a potential trophy in a couple years.

It's a current trophy lake for some species (smallies, muskies) and an up and comer for others (northerns).

"BINGO" this is the problem with the lake and it includes walleyes when all you want is big fish in a lake the little fish become the food. its a simple food chain effect.