• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any one know of a place to exchange the 11 LBS tanks?

Benny

Question

I have an 11 pound tank with the old style valve, I know there are places that do exchanges but can't find any.
I called a few gas companies and everyone said they won't do an exchange, but will swap out my valve for me.It costs as much for them to do that as it does to buy a new tank from G.M.

I exchanged my 20 pound tank at Menaerds, but that's all they have there.

Thanks, Benny

19 answers to this question

benny, i believe you can get replacement valves and do it yourself from l&m supply in grand rapids. putz did his this way. the only thing is he said it was a b!t*& to get the old valve loose. he had to basicaly stake the thing down on the bench to get the valve to turn out, but he got it. just an option? i think they run about 15 bucks or so. i know that is way cheaper than a new tank. good luck

------------------
keep your 9 iron on the ice!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

I will be in Pengilly for Christmas and over to Rapids to deliver a heater I sold.
I will check them out, to see what they have.

Benny

I took my 10lb manchester tank to our local lp dealer and he said he could do it , but the only problem was that the handle is small on the ten pounders, you cant get the new valve in to spin it tight, the new valves are a little longer! i ended up having to hacksaw the two beads of welding that was holding the handle on and bent it back a little to get the new valve in, and then bent the handle back, its now holding by one weld on the back of the handle, 22.00 filled not bad! 40.00 for a new one.

Benny,
Eden Prairie Menards had the 11 lber's for exchange last year, but don't know if they have them this year. I need to go there this week sometime, I will check out and let you know.

Thanks danny berg, I could drive there for that.It isn't to far away, maybe 40 minutes.

My tank is the tall skinny type , looks like the gaurd is open enough to get the new valve in.

Benny

Benny, if Menards in Edina is confirmed that they exchange 11-lbers, I'll take yours in for ya. I could swap mine too and I work pretty close by the Edina Menards.

That would work for me,it would have to be on a weekend for me to get down there.Depending on if it is in North east Eden Prairie I could posibly get there and back up to CR by the time my daughter gets home from school.
I will call them and see if they have them there, also will see if any around the Northern suburbs have them to exchange.
Maybe if one Menards has them some up here may also have them?

Benny

Benny,
Eden Praire Menards does not exchange the 11 lber's any more. They did not know where to get them exchanged.

Danny

I was down in Owatonna last weekend & I recall seeing an exchange station-thingy for 5, 11, and 20 lb. tanks at the main Cabela's store.

Yep, I called a few Menards and Home Depots today.No one does exchanges on those little tanks any more.
I called Lakes gas ans Suburban gas to see if they did, but they didn't either.
Both have new tanks filled for $44.00 or $35 to change out my valve but no refilll or purge at that price.

I will call Cabela's later this week, but if they don't I am just going to take them to the gas company and buy two new ones.

Benny

I was at northern tool the other day and they had the new style valves you can buy. i paid 19.99 wasnt to hard to do but the old valves are tough to get out.they had them for 20 10 and 5 pounders i believe.

Swampman or anyone else, Is there a procedure to keep in mind when replacing an older valve with a new one. For example, what are the safety issues, i.e. pressure release, getting a good seal, etc?

Hopefully someone can help me here.

I got one of the short fat 11lb tanks. Bought it new, got it filled, and the gas barely comes out. It won't keep a sunflower heater running. The problem IS the tank , we've mixed and matched tanks and heaters and it keeps coming down to this tank not putting out gas.

The question is, Can it be fixed somehow or do I need to exchange it. Someone please point me in the right direction.

I'm in the Twin Cities too. Thanks guys.

HANSON
New tanks need to be purged before filling entire tank... if not your in lockup mode. When filling a tank for the first time you need to tell the person doing the refill it is a new tank and that it needs to be purged...it takes about a 10 minute process.

Early Riser there are instructions inside the packet it comes in,the first thing it says is do not remove the valve from the wrapping until ready to install, I'm thinking thanks for telling me that now. anyway you will want to make sure your tank is empty,other than that you will just need the right size wrench and some lp pipe thread. I didnt have to fasten my tank down like jigglestick mentioned above but i did roll around on the floor with it alittle before i got te old one out. the insructions also say it should be done by a certified lp technician (for liabillaty i suppose) so i had to give myself a new title before i started. wasnt that hard to do. hope this helps.

Sounds like the gas company didn't purge the tank, it may be air locked?
Did you try the gas company that filled it to see if they will fix it?If they filled it they should have some responsibility to make sure it works.

Other than that it may just be plugged, or the valve is not opening all the way.
Try letting off some gas as well, point the cylinder in a safe direction away from any ignition source.Then just open the valve a little to expell a short blast.
Where thick leather gloves so you don't freeze your hand!!!!

Benny

Could be a bad valve.
I bought a 40 lb. tank at Menards, had it purged and filled. It filled really slowly.

The next time I had it filled it wouldn't fill at all. I took it back and exchanged it for a new tank. Everything works fine with the new tank.

Thanks for the info guys.

Probably right about the purging. I'll see what I can do with it. I won't make that mistake again.