• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

From the input meeting

BradHawthorne

Northender, I don't think hardly any on this site are doubting that the netting greatly influenced the current situation....if not the biggest reason. But, the state and interested parties lost that game, got thrown a proverbial curveball, got their butts kicked, and have not figured out how to proverbially hit it yet. There was huge pressure to keep the bags as high as they could for the state and net as much as the could for the bands....neither side would back down, and now both are reaping what they sowed. Similarly, do not think many of the informed people on this issue think netting is a good idea, but that is just a small segment of the population that has a "say" on this issue. Bake sales and spaghetti dinners are not going to cover the costs to lobby/fight to change the court ruling. The general public, politicians, and even fellow anglers(look at the thread in the bass forum) simply do not really care if Mille Lacs runs out of walleyes. There are plenty of fish still left in it. I personally think the lake should be managed for walleyes and it is a waste of a resource for it not to be....but....realistically...how do you propose to do this besides saying..... end the netting? It's easy to say, but but a lot tougher to do......

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• northender

• John Mickish

• CaptainMusky

• gregg52

IMO any "plan" has to include the understanding that netting will not go away.

Potential solutions could include timing of WHEN netting can occur and obviously reduction in the take since the overall harvest for hook and line is being reduced.

Changes to the slot and a reduction in limit I think would help. I think increasing the targeted size for the slot, but reducing possession to 2 would have a couple benefits.

One, you harvest the fish that majority of the people are actually catching (protecting the younger fish) and Two, less mortality because people arent going through pounds of leeches and 30 or 40 fish to find 1 fish under 17 inches.

Enough "input" from me! I am out of the "meeting".

It is a lost cause

the best reproducing walleye lake in the world has been ruined

thank the lord for the other 9,999 lakes in mn

seems they are all fine!!!

go figure

I would hate to see the walleye wiped out of Mille Lacs. I am a bass guy as you can see but the reason I love Mille Lacs is due it being such a great trophy multispecies lake. I love spending some of my evenings on the lake throwing out a slip bobber and leech. My whole arguement before was that a 6 fish smallie limit is too much. But I guess we will see what happens with it. I just hope there is a way that the lake can be managed to make it stay a great multispecies lake.

I would hate to see the walleye wiped out of Mille Lacs. I am a bass guy as you can see but the reason I love Mille Lacs is due it being such a great trophy multispecies lake.

The people here don't want a trophy lake, they want a lake where they can catch and keep their limit everytime they go out.

I know. I wish it wasn't that way. To me its all about being on the water and having fun. Whether it be walleye fishing or smallie fishing. I just love being out there.

The people here don't want a trophy lake, they want a lake where they can catch and keep their limit everytime they go out.

It ain't a trophy lake. Never has been. Its rare as hell to catch walleyes that are a true trophy. Even when you do get them, they don't weigh out.

It's a trophy lake for skis or smallies. The walleye have never been and never will be trophy status fish.

People don't really care about getting a limit of fish to eat I don't think. They just don't want to see lake that's full of 23 inchers that eat everything out of house and home and make it so that the numbers of fish nose dive.

To me, it's really no fun to fish there anymore. Too easy and predictable. What fun is it to catch the same cookie cutter fish all day when everyone and their brother is drilling them?

The lake is/was a walleye lake. Those that want it to be something else are crazy. This is a gem of a lake when it comes to reproducing walleyes. Be a dam shame to let it go to pot and have it full of junk fish.

I have no answers either. This is probably what happens when you run a slot for as long as they have. Kind of a natural progression. Combine that with the insane amount of people that fish the lake and here we are.

There may be people out there that would like to go to Mille Lacs and bring a fish or 2 home. Don't try to put everyone in a box. I have fished that lake 9 times and Ive brought home 4 fish total. Next time I will think of you and put everything back no matter what.

Until something changes on the lake I will get my walleye from the Tav on Grand.

I threw the "most people" statement in there because if you go back and read all the pages from all of the threads on this over the last year or so, there are enough people complaining that they can't catch fish to keep to warrant the statement.

As far as a trophy lake, IMO Mille Lacs is far from it for walleyes, but everyone has their own idea of a trophy. Last year I got three different people their personal best on that lake, and all where under 27".

I threw the "most people" statement in there because if you go back and read all the pages from all of the threads on this over the last year or so, there are enough people complaining that they can't catch fish to keep to warrant the statement.

It's quite the leap to take the comments of "bringing a fish home" to "people want to leave with their limits".

When I fish for ANY fish that I enjoy eating, I NEVER go out with the intention of bringing a limit home even if the opportunity presented itself. I release 98% of the walleyes I catch and 100% of bass, pike, muskies.

The comments about liking to catch something you can keep comes solely around the basis that you could go out there, fish a day and catch 50 to 60 fish and only have 2 "keeper" fish. Its not that you "only" have 2 fish to bring home, its the fact the lake is imbalanced. Thats the problem.

I dont consider Mille Lacs a trophy walleye lake either, though it is by far the best lake in the state IMO, to catch numbers of 20 to 24 fish in the summer. Trophy is defined by each person differently, but I wouldnt consider a 28" walleye a trophy and even at that, the chances of getting a fish over 28" out of Mille Lacs are not any better than many other lakes.

I stopped fishing the lake when the limit went to 4 fish with a 2" slot. Too bad for the resort I launched out of as they lost out on yearly boat ramp passes, bait and food. I figure at least $2,500 of income they lost and I'm only one person. I moved to other lakes where I can keep 6 fish, yes I like to eat walleye. Too bad because I love the lake. Hopefully some day the lake will be back in is glory so I can share it with my son. In the meantime we can go to many lakes within an hour of Mille Lacs and do very well with walleyes, even found a few lakes we catch 10" gills and crappies to 14" while walleye fishing.

The comments about liking to catch something you can keep comes solely around the basis that you could go out there, fish a day and catch 50 to 60 fish and only have 2 "keeper" fish. Its not that you "only" have 2 fish to bring home, its the fact the lake is imbalanced. Thats the problem.

It is out of balance. Mid summer last year the DNR posted catch rates averaging 1 of 3 fish caught was a keeper < 17. It should be the other way around.

I remeber this ratio because that was exaclty my catch rate as well. It's not 50:1. That is the hyberbole that we keep hearing from the whiners that want to keep everything they catch.

I'd be happy with a 2 fish or less rule. Keep the meat hunters off the lake for a while so it can rebound. At some point the meat hunters need to realize that they can wipe out a lake by keeping regular limits.

IMO, it's called fishing not catching and eating. /* A generalization. Not directed at any one person. */

It's not 50:1. That is the hyberbole that we keep hearing from the whiners that want to keep everything they catch.

Hyperbole huh? I spent close to 100 hours on Mille Lacs last year and I can assure you my results support the numbers I posted. 4 hours with two of my boys we caught 34 fish. 2, yes 2! of those fish were under 17" (one was under 14). Thats just one specific example because I remember it vividly. Another day with my wife we caught 28 between the two of us and had 4 fish under 17".

These were in all areas of the lake, but predominantly mud flats, gravel and rocks. I didnt fish the lake until June, so perhaps I could have had numbers closer to what you are saying if I had gone out earlier, but not the case based on when I was out there.

I should add that I was never once checked for creel survey. I talked to anglers leaving the lake with me and they shared similar results.

Your DNR catch rates are from last May and June (2012).

ALL creel surveys since have shown anywhere from one in ten is a keeper to 1-15 to 20 is a keeper. For example, most fish house reports (2013) for the entire winter were in the 1 out of 10 being a keeper or worse. Much worse in many cases.

The 1 in 3 being a keeper ratio would have had many boats and fish houses filling out limits most days. That didn't happen. Not even close.

Your DNR catch rates are from last May and June (2012).

That is probably true. I heard it after my early June trip.

I didn't really get back on the lake until August and didn't notice anything significanlty different, other than picking up bonus smallies.

I'm not saying the lake is not out of balance. It is. 50:1 was not my experience. Even CaptainMusky's numbers were 17:1 and 7:1 (10.3:1 combined). Certainly that is out of whack and indicative of a serious problem.

I personally wouldnt keep any fish out of ML they are sick looking

Apparently you haven't fished the lake since mid-summer.

saw lots of pics

those fish are not heathly

actually i dont fish much at all over there any more

the regs and all the talk took the fun out of it

plus I dont think its much fun or challengeing to catch the same fish over and over

fish committing suicide

saw lots of pics

those fish are not heathly

actually i dont fish much at all over there any more

the regs and all the talk took the fun out of it

plus I dont think its much fun or challengeing to catch the same fish over and over

fish committing suicide

Every fish I caught there this winter was healthy. It was also the best fishing I have ever had on the lake, but keep on being misinformed.

misinformed

you just put a stamp on what i was saying

anybody can catch fish over there as in walleyes comitting suicide

if you only catch walleyes over there which probably over 50% of the fisherman and guys posting on this thread those fish probably do look good

look at the pics on this thread of fish caught over there this past winter if you think those are healthy fish you are not much of a fisherman

some of those are 24-26 inch fish and no belly on then once so ever

their belly's should be hanging big time in jan-feb

Every time I read a thread on this subject I scratch my head. The Treaty specifically says the fishing privileges of the Tribes are subject to the pleasure of the President. This means the President's agents(USF&W Service) if properly asked by the DRN, could impose any restriction on the Tribes' privileges the DNR proposed to assist in bringing balance back to the fishery. There are political solutions available, and the DNR isn't as helpless as it seems to profess. You should be working your senators, not your courts.

MontanaMax, the problem with that is it would virtually be Political Suicide for any representatives so speak out against the treaties. I like the theory, I just don't see it happening. Most, (not all) Politicians are looking out for Numero uno.

MontanaMax hit it on the head...here is the treaty as it pertains to hunting,fishing etc....

ARTICLE 5.

The privilege of hunting, fishing, and gathering the wild rice, upon the lands, the rivers and the lakes included in the territory ceded, is guarantied to the Indians, during the pleasure of the President of the United States.

For starters this is not a "right" its a privilege....Also no where does it specifiy how much of anything the band is entitled to, so 50% of safe harvest is just a made up number. More importantly I don't see that it says they can excersize these privileges outside of established rules and regulations...............if Im not mistaken band members have never been refused the privilege to purchase hunting and fishing licenses just like the "rest" of us.

start a fund a get a GOOD attroney

start a petition take it to who ever

if thats really the way it reads

Guys - do a little research on the subject before posting about how the treaty could easily be overturned. Google Steve Fellegy. And do you know who our president is????

Guys - do a little research on the subject before posting about how the treaty could easily be overturned. Google Steve Fellegy. And do you know who our president is????

Steve has tried hard, and met with zero support.

It's my opinion that the DNR is to blame for this situation. It seems they are trying to turn lakes into "trophy fish" lakes. Let mother decide what lakes become better at producing bigger fish. She did pretty good on her own for many many yrs. Lakescannot sustain an over abundance of large fish. They are eating machines!!! I heard reports of no shiners in the tributaries last spring. Haven't caught an eelpout in a few yrs now(i fish it quite a bit in the winter). Tulibees also seemed to be really diminishingthis last winter. And I can recall years ago when a guy would catch quite a few perch while chasing walleyes and those reports are pretty much non-existent anymore. To me that means the forage base is all but gone. Thus leading to walleye fry next on the chain of life for muskies, northerns, smallies and walleyes. Now back to the "trophy fish". What kind of trophy is a 24-27" walleye on Mille Lacs? It's not at all!! Anyone can catch those all day long. I personally could care less to catch that many of them. With the DNR using the regulated slots, they are specifically targeting certain year classes and with the pressure ML gets, the lake obviously cannot sustain the harvesting of those sizes year after year. So I would suggest that IF they get the lake back to a balanced level. They should go with say a 15" minimum and thats it. Many people would leave the lake happy with their limit of 20-24" fish which would help eliminate the over abundance of those big forage consumers and many people would release those fish too so many would still be in the lake for reproducing. Now you might say who wants to eat those size fish? Well just ask your grandparents or any elders out there. They ate what they caught and they have survived. If you cut the meat into smaller pieces so it cooks evenly, its the same as a small one. Now these are just my opinions and you may agree or disagree, but I didnt post this to argue but to maybe open some eyes to another persons point of view.

Ok, Steve tried real hard last year, had some support but the results didn't show anything.

Steve is trying it again and it looks like there is some money coming in. I personally agree with his agenda to remove the gill nets during the spawning period and I think there is a chance that public pressure my play a part in this as well.

I hope something good comes out of this besides lawyers getting rich. Some give and take will be needed by both sides (more give than take) to bring the lake back in a timely manner, but only IF both sides care at all.