• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Flat-ology

anchor man

I'm an avid fisherman, but an amateur Mille Lacs fisherman. Just curious about the "science" behind all the flats, why are some better than others when they look the same, are the inside/outside turns better than the straight edges? Huge flat or small flat the best? When do the fish usually feed up on the flats vs. off the edge. Gravel-Mud? Is there a general seasonal pattern to flat/reef migrations? Seems like Mille Lacs is so much different than where I spend most my time on the WFC. Just interested in learning more about the big pond

Thanks

I believe it a predator prey ratio and some flats hold more baitfish populations more than others. Each flat has its eco-system so to speak and some are just more fertile than others, guess that’s the best way I can relate to it.

I have heard some say that fish will migrate to the shallow gravel beds to spawn each year and this is true but, I believe that not all fish do this ,also Not all fish stay stacked up in the shallows either and I have fished the flats early as opening weekend and the second week of the season on the flats and have had great success. early season is the best time to fish shallow but those fish,not all can be caught most all of the year in these waters too.

On the flats I like to start out looking for the longest, fastest point that leads to the deepest water in the area. That is how I start on almost all bodies of water then I start to pick apart the rest of the features on the flat. Sometimes the most subtle feature will yield the best.

When is the best time to fish the top of the flat that’s a debate that could go on forever after dark midday to be totally honest it too tough to tell and I would answer the best time to fish the top of the flat is when the fish are there. I know that’s a cop out answer but it’s true.

I’m not a fish scientist but, I did sleep at a comfort Inn last night grin

Good Luck The pond is a fun body of water to fish and even more fun to figure out. When it comes down to being frustrated about trying to figure the DEAD SEA out it is usually it tends to be overthinking as the cause of it and one needs to step back and keep it simple at times.

I've fished shermans, 8 mile, seguchi and phils flats for the last 4 years and it seems that fish are consistantly in some of the same spots on them. There are also spots on them that ton's of fish one week and then are bare the next. I fish the top of the flats when they have fish on them. smile

I've had better luck in the summer on top of flats and better luck just off the flats in the winter. Sometimes though I catch them on top and bottom of flats minutes apart when the area is being fished hard. The only luck I've had with perch off the flats in the winter has also been on the deep edge. I havn't caugt a perch yet though this year after having a couple of really good days last year in the same spots.

I was out wednesday off of seguchi in 28 fow from 4am to noon and had moderate success. I missed two and caught 2 just under 17". I didn't see anything that looked like a school of fish on my flasher but I did have to spend some time digging my truck out of the snow. I caught them on a red hook with a rainbow and a blue/white/pink buckshot with a minnow head. I missed them on the same setups with one of them being in 25 fow and the other in 28 fow. about 15 minutes apart.

Best of luck to you.

There are certainly others more qualified to answer this than I, but here's my .02:

I have no idea why some flats are better than others, but there definitely do seem to be places that consistently hold more fish. There are the obvious points, inside turns, etc. that hold fish (and fishermen), but then there are spots that don't appear to have anything special or different about them and they'll hold fish year after year.

I like the smaller flats myself, if only because they don't typically get the pressure of other flats. Yes, Eight Mile is a monster and can and does hold a ton of fish, but it also gets pounded, esp during open water. Some of the smaller flats might hold fewer fish, but you don't have to share them with as many (or any) people. My best spot last year I had completely to myself all year long, and the guys who won both days of the Red Door Tourney (and caught the biggest fish) were on two lonely and unremarkable stretches of water on two flats the names of which I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone mention on this site.

Regarding time of year, there are always fish out on the flats, but it's not usually until a bit into the season that they really get going. Last year we caught them on the flats on opening weekend, but it was a strange year. Then, later in the summer, the fish seem to move off the flats into the basin areas (chasing tullibees?). Of course, there are still fish on the flats, but there don't seem to be quite as many, at least in my experience.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Also due to bug hatches that occur from day to day on the flats. These hatches will be starting soon and when this happens you need to find the hatch because the fish have. I like the little flats on the north end of the lake. Lots of small flats that are close to each other with deep channels in between them. These can be great spots to catch walleyes and tullies and perch cruising around for hatches. One year the jumbo perch were on this small flat drigging up these little clams I watch them on the camera. We hammered the perch on that flat for 2 weekends. Good luck with the search for the hot flat. I had one buddy out during the week on 9 mile and he said he caught some nice jumbo perch and walleyes, but that is the only thing I heard about perch. That was on Thursday.