• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Repairing Ice Shack Sled

Steve Foss

Question

I have a Fish Trap Guide and the sled has worn through in places from pulling over asphalt and such. Wondering if a fiberglass repair kit would work. Will it adhere to the plastic or should I just buy a new sled. Can you buy just the sled from Fish Trap or will one of the other sleds on the market fit the guide model? Trying to get ready for hard water this weekend while the weather is lousy here in Colorado. Also anyone ( Pros or Guides ) had a chance to use the Lowrance Ice Machine. I know the X-67 C has been on the market for a while for marine use. Can you see your jig as well as with a Vexilar or Marcum? Also does the Marcum LX-3 work well on your boats without the bottom lock feature of the FL-18. Thanks for your responses.
Dan DAN

------------------

9 answers to this question

I have a Fish Trap Guide and the sled has worn through in places from pulling over asphalt and such. Wondering if a fiberglass repair kit would work. Will it adhere to the plastic or should I just buy a new sled. Can you buy just the sled from Fish Trap or will one of the other sleds on the market fit the guide model? Trying to get ready for hard water this weekend while the weather is lousy here in Colorado. Also anyone ( Pros or Guides ) had a chance to use the Lowrance Ice Machine. I know the X-67 C has been on the market for a while for marine use. Can you see your jig as well as with a Vexilar or Marcum? Also does the Marcum LX-3 work well on your boats without the bottom lock feature of the FL-18. Thanks for your responses.
Dan DAN

------------------

USL has sold off its Clam product line. It is now known as Clam Corp.. If you look up Clam Corp. you should be able to come up ith the website.

Thankyou stfcatfish and kwkfsh for your replys and useful information. As for why the bottom is worn out already. This is because here in Colorado, when fishing the Denver Metro area lakes, there is only a very limited time when there is any snow on the ground. Especially in the parking areas. We don't have the luxary of driving our vehicles out on the lakes. In fact most area lakes do not allow it, even in the high country. So we drag our huts across concrete and asphalt parking areas and then usually fields of grass and rock to get to the ice. I'm interested in those hi-fax runners. Where might they be purchased. I did patch the bottom with a fiberglass kit. Only use will tell how good it holds up. Also noticed the mice got to my zipper. Oh well its live and learn I guess! Dan DAN

------------------

Dan:

One option for protecting your trap's bottom would be to duct tape doubled up cardboard to the bottom.

A bit of a hassle, but it sounds like there's no way around dragging your unit over that hostile terrain.

Appliance boxes scavenged from behind stores would work. Fold em up, tape em to the trap and then rip them off the trap's bottom as soon as you hit the ice.

As to what to do with them then? Not sure . . . grin.gif Maybe stash it along the shore and tape it back on for the return drag.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Anyplace that sells ice houses should have Hyfax runners. Clam can get you them. If you have trouble post and Ill get ya info. Dont waste your time with duck tape tec. It comes off right away in dirt, grass etc. and just winds up blowing around o the ice. Steve, Do you guys have any extra tin from your printing machines? You can cut it to length and bend it onto your sled then once on ice bend it off or keep it on. Slick pull. Hyfax is the way to go. Lasts a LONG time and if it gets dinged up just run some sandpaper over it to smooth it out and your good to go. Also Ive waxed my otter sled. Pulls Super Easy but once stopped you better have snow to bank with or ice anchors.

An easy way to avoid wear on a sled if you tow it a lot is to cut strips of HDPE and screw it to the bottom of the sled from the inside. You can buy the stuff from a plastic distributor and cut it with a skill saw or a table saw. HDPE is the same material that the sleds are made out of. If it begins to wear, replace the strip instead of the sled. Another runner you could do is conduit cut and flatten on the ends. Rivet it on the bottom of the sled from the inside.

I'd really like to thank all of you for all of your help.
Dan DAN

------------------

You can go to any snowmobile dealership and buy a set of hyfax pretty cheap. You will get more than you need and can cut them to any length you want. They are really the ticket.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin