• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mille Lacs Lake Conditions - Travel

TruthWalleyes

Haven't been up there since the 26th.

Next to NO snow at that time.

Would like to head up Friday thru Monday this weekend.

How's the off road travel on the lake? Been some snow since the 26th.

My biggest concern is a foot of snow while i'm on the lake with a 2 wheel drive car...Supposedly a snow event this weekend.

I'd like to keep this going through march. Update travel conditions on the lake.

Good luck fishing.

I was up there friday and saturday last week. There was someone in our group fishing traveling in a Pontiac Grand am and never had a problem all the way out to the popular flats. Although it is snowing right now.

Truth- Saturday - Monday it was absolutely perfect conditions for ice fishing out of myr mar. around 27" in most everyhole we drilled, very little snow cover but yet plenty enough for banking the house easily and taking off the ice cleats. My F-250 could pull my buddies 18 ft wheel house ideling pretty much everywhere. dont know what you drive but youll be fine

Good to hear, i plan on coming up Friday afternoon and stay till Monday. Glad to know i can get around in a bonneville with our current snow conditions anyway.

You should be fine if you pay attention to your driving. If you see deep tracks, move to the side and go where there is little to no snow. Last weekend, I helped push some folks 2wd car. Keep away from the drifts! You probably already know these stuff.

Just curious, You planning on sleeping in your bonneville all weekend?

If I were driving out to the flats are there any serious cracks/pressure ridges and are they easy to spot?

Thanks

Just curious, You planning on sleeping in your bonneville all weekend?

Zero gravity or cot in my hub house works well for a mobile and relatively cost efficient weekend of fishing.

If I were driving out to the flats are there any serious cracks/pressure ridges and are they easy to spot?

Thanks

depends on where you are. out of myr mar on the northwest side there isnt much to worry about at all. but other places are a different story

I was out on the south end (whakon) this weekend tooling around on the snow mobile. There was a crack running from about 2 miles out of whakon bay that ran as far north up the east side as i went which was up to big point and it looked like it continued further up even. Hard to miss this sucker though about 6-9 feet high in some spots didnt see many roads crossing it but im sure there are.

Wouldn't expect any cross country with a Bonne after the weekend snow and wind.

Any snow totals? How about with a 4x4 pickup and wheelhouse?

I think the bonneville is snowed in smile life is good.

U lucky s o b! Are you snowed in on the fish though, that is the question

That Bonnevile must have 4-WD. I thought about you around 10:30 and went to plow to you, but you were gone, I couldn't believe it, lol.

Thought about going to check out the bridge, but i figured i pushed my luck far enough at that point ha ha and didn't need to get stuck

Truth, you seem to be up there for a spell. Have any direction you can give me for a place to start? I am good if I hear my rattle real go at least once over the weekend. Even if it's someone messing with me. Lol

Plan to head out of Appledoorns, ohhh...Thursday evening or Friday early A.M. I have some cords from out of there that I plan to try but if fishing is slow...maybe you could pull me around on my one man porty with the Bonneville. laugh I'll bring my helmet. Lol

Bringing the sleeper up and plan to stay till Sunday A.M. Going to shoot around in the porty during the day and sit tight for eye's in the evening.

Take care

You are a real diehard!! I have seen the Bonne out there a few times and laughed. I have a perm.shack and have been out past the crack where the road turns going to the flats every weekend. Stop in and say hi. I often have an extra bed too! LOL

That's awesome! I've been wanting to try that also. I'm not sure if I'd want to use my qf4 or qf6. One thing I do wonder is what are you doing to keep off the wet floor? I know after a day in my qf, my floor is clear as ice and is very slippery. cool

Before I got the wheelhouse I would stay nights up there in my two man Frabil. Throw a fold out lawn chair in the sled part of the house, roll up in a sleeping bag and get some sleep. Was it the best sleep I ever got. Of course not, but some of the memories are priceless.

Spent a couple evenings in that Frabil during some nasty weather.

Cots fit in the qf3 & qf6 just fine.

I have done this on Lake of the Woods before. I don't usually keep the heater on all night - just bring a good sleeping bag. Not as many fish at night up there.

Floor gets wet, and is slick...No big deal. I'm wearing boots all weekend anyway. I keep my heater off the floor to reduce melting, and a fan on the roof to push heat back down. Sometimes i just wear my microspikes.

I just ordered a clam command post thermal this weekend. My QF3 i cannot lay down in a cot...Just too darn tall, but if you've ever sat in a zero gravity chair..It's hard to stay awake in smirk I also am getting tired of the condensation, so it is time for an upgrade. Might even have 1 or 2 guys up there in two weeks with me, we'll see if we can all fit and have a good time.

If the puddles in the house get bad, i have a small axe along and i just chisel a little path for the water to run into the holes. Keeps puddling down anyway.

I run the heater all night, sleep in a chair, soon to be a cot. I never use a sleeping bag becuase that is too hard to get out when a rattle reel goes, just wear my striker ice suit all weekend.

Don't be afraid to spend the night in your portables guys...It's not that hardcore lol, it's just a permanent house without hard walls and a floor...Word of advice for those of you considering this with a hub house, anchor down all 4 sides - it's easier to do that than when the wind switches and caves in a side while your sleeping. ALWAYS ANCHOR THE SIDE THAT HAS YOUR HEATER.