• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new flasher??

RHW

Question

I see Vexilar is promoting what they are calling their new product, the FL-8 SE.
It is about $100 cheaper then the FL-18 and when you go to their web site, no mention even of the FL-18.
So does anybody know the difference between the two units and how good is the FL-8 SE?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

We can also talk about MarCum's new flasher..the LX1 also $100 cheaper than the LX3.

Anyone know about these?

With the new FL-8, you are not getting really anything new. Same old FL-8 just a new look with an added knob. The FL-18 is the same as well.

But with the LX-3 you get a whole new dimension...

The LX-3 is the only system that features an adjustable zoom that allows a 5 to 10 ft. zoom window in the 20 and 40 ft. scale, a 10 to 20 ft. zoom in 80 ft. scale and a 20 to 40 ft. zoom in 160 ft. scale. This enables us fishermen to have that extra piece of the puzzle.

I fished with Vexilar for the last several years, and don't get me wrong, I caught fish, but I feel the LX-3 is that next step towards developing my pattern of locating, targeting, and catching fish. Not to mention the great learning tool that it is.

The LX-3 also has great target separation for those bottom hugging fish.

Check out the site and read up more on it.

www.marcumtech.com

I was going to get a FL-18, but I put two and two together and realized that for what I need from a flasher for my situations, that the LX-3 is the way to go. Believe me, I thought long and hard, but I feel confident that I made the right decision.

Can't wait for that first ice so I can get out there and catch some fish smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

TBone is right, the New FL-8SE uses the same light diode as the FL-18 making it easier to see.

How about the Lowrance X67C sonar "The Ice Machine." any word on this and it's flasher mode?

I think Lowrance is coming out with the M67c which is identical to the X67c but with a built in GPS and mapping capability. I'm sure it will be popular with those that do not have a handheld GPS already.

Fisherdog

As stated the Lowrance X67C sonar does not have the GPS and M67c does.

I stoped in at Cabelas and they do not have the Ice Machine in yet and will not get the M67c till January.

I do like the idea of the option of Flasher or regular screen.

Is this a new idea or are there other units with the same options?

Bob

The vex has 400 watts of power and the LX3 has 1500, more than three times the power. The LX3 can zoom in on any portion of the water column while the vex zooms in on the bottom 6'. The best part is they are priced exactly the same at $399.00.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-29-2003).]

True enough.

If you need power, the LX-3 has enough of it. And not only is the gain sensitivity adjustable, but the power is as well, so those shallow water or high plankton situations are no sweat.

Need sensitivity? This unit will pick up a 1/64th oz ice fly down 70 feet with ease with the standard 20 degree ducer.

What can 1500 watts of power do for you?

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 10-29-2003).]

I don't know if I buy into the fish feeling the power yet, maybe in water less than ten ft?? As Tim Taylor says MORE POWER, I would rather have more power being sent out than have to count on a higher sensitive receiver. Don't get me wrong, I'm still impressed with the vex also. Blows my clearwater away in my mind. I just think that maybe Marcum has come up with a better mouse trap!!

1500 watts gets you a stonger signal sent which translates into a stronger signal returned. When talking depth finders it's all about the signal sent AND received. It's like deer hunting, sure a 44mag will kill a deer, but a 7mm mag will do it further and with more room for error. Another aspect though I haven't run into this with my wife's vex is with a higher sensitve product, how durable is it??

There are companies that introduce products and companies that take those ideas and improve on them. I think vex came up with a wonderful product and Marcum improved on it.

Yes that adjustable zoom feature on the Marcum is very nice, I also prefer the sharpness of the display over the Vexilars myself. I've used them both and the main reason I did'nt jump on a fl18 is because of the 6 foot only zoom window, the Marcums were just too new. Jury is still kinda out for me because of my wondering if the investment will be rewarded with more fish, but I may soon retire some old reliables that have served me well for so many years and jump into the millenium with an LX3.

I'm still kinda holding out hoping someone will soon come out with an updated 4 shades of gray, complete with adjustable zoom and IR, "Clearwater Millenium"!!! If any of you Marcum Tech folks see this please make me one!!!

fiskyknut

I still love my vexilar slt. I don't see any reason to go out and get another flasher because this one does everything that I need it to do. It sees the fish, my lure and how deep it is, what else could I ask for? wink.gif
><>deadeye

I hear you deadeye. I'm reluctant to make the switch myself due to the bang for the buck issue. I have fl-8's for a couple rental shacks as everyone likes vexilars, but I still prefer my trusty old Zercom CC's myself! Hard to teach us old dogs new tricks I guess!

Fisky

Hey Deadeye,
I too stuck with my good ol reliable Vex 8.

Then last year a got a taste of the FL18 and the LX3. I was impressed with both units. At least there is some choice on several good units now from the Marcum LX1 to the Vex 8s and the 18's vs the MarCum LX3.

I'm impressed with both of these companies. Good solid companies that help us in our Ice Fishing addictions grin.gif

The Clearwater Classic may have just been phased out by Zercom. The ColorPoint was the newer generation product I think.

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 10-29-2003).]

I'd have to agree with Scott. Especially on the Genetron side! They are quite unbeliveable.

I have an FL18... and wouldn't trade it for the world.
------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-29-2003).]

I am in the market for my first flasher and have found this and other discussions quite informational, sometimes confusing, and always entertaining. My quesion for you FL-18 and LX-3 owners out there is this -- does the higher power output of the LX-3 translate into shorter battery life between charges? How many hours of continuous usage can I expect from the FL-18 versus the LX-3 on a charge?

According to the article in the new Ice guide, the Lowrance "Ice Machine" is not an LCD, it's screen is a 256 color TFT (thin film transistor transflective display.) It claims to be bright, even in direct sunlight. It also claims to be cold tolerant, sharper and faster than the current LCD's out there. I guess the jury is out on this one. Also, according to the article, the M68c S/Map is the one with WAAS GPS. It can store 1000 waypoints.......Waiting to see how they do in the cold, white nort'..........T

Both units have their merit. This year I will be running two LX-3's. I think you will be satisfied with either unit. I have run both side by side in the past. The 1500 watts of power the LX-3 has will benefit you when you are fishing next to an Fl-18.

Howver, this whole "power" thing is slightly over-rated with graphs and flashers. One of the better graphs in my mind is the Genetron. The Genetron puts out 9 watts I believe, however, Genetron puts a lot of money into buying one of the best recievers on the market. With a great reciever, that is all you need for output.

As long as you are putting out enough power, you will get a signal back. It is the quality of reciever that determines how the return signal is read. Both Vexilar and MarCum have quality recievers. Both are good units. I prefer the LX-3 for its crisp display. It is easy on my eyes and I can stare at it all day without a problem. Again, don't get all caught up in who has more power.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Steil (edited 10-29-2003).]

The FL-18 and LX-3 are both top of the line units. I've fished with both units, although I have used the LX-3 more. I find myself using the adjustable zoom on the MarCum LX-3 a lot more than I initially thought I would when I first looked into both units. It becomes a very useful feature for deep suspended crappies (The LX-3 zoom is adjustable within the water column). If the fish are suspended 20' down in 50' of water, you can center your zoom at that 20' depth range allowing you better target separation (it makes it very easy to see slight vertical movements from your jig). The FL18 can only zoom on the bottom, which is the major reason I went with MarCum.

Both are top of the line units, it is more a matter of your needs and personal preferences.

Power does dictate the return signal!! The quality of the receiver determines how that signal is read. It's kind of like stereos, you can get by with a cheap stereo if you have quality speakers!! The marcum takes the best of both and puts them into one.

If you have an FL-18, I wouldn't say sell it to get an LX3, I'm just saying that when it's time for a new one take a look at these units.

As far as the Clearwater Classics, aren't they owned by someone else now?? Whenever a company sells out to another it seems that quality suffers. When I first got my CC, you couldn't give me a vex. Now that Zercom is owned by a bigger corp, the attention to detail isn't as important as the bottom line.

This is a good thread due to the fact that we are comparing two very good units!! I would never say that a person would be sorry for buying a Vex over a Marcum, they both have thier good points. I need to replace my CC and am seriously looking at the LX. I also am trying to talk myself into getting rid of my Aqua-vu Z and picking up an OSV560.

I think you will be dissapointed with the Lowrance system they are introducing this year. I my eyes it is not truely a flasher. The GPS is a nice feature but I prefer a portable handheld. Lowrance apprears to have tried to make a graph into a flasher. I am going to go out on a limb and say this is not going to be a big hit.

Back to the power discussion. There are some advantages to having more "power" especially when fishing next to other units. In this case, more power will win.

I am very happy with the MarCum units. I have a year on them now and have used them extensively on the ice and in the open water. The display remains crisp and easy to read. The carrying case is very nice and can REALLY take a beating. And, of course, the adjustable zoom is a great feature.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service

A built in GPS on a sounder isn't anything new but the concept of this combination on an Ice setup is. I've got this image of my truck going down the lake with a transducer in tow. I'll take a hand held GPS and flasher instead.

MORE POWER...................
Take a look at the main difference between a Lowrance and Eagle unit. You will notice it's watts.

Vex runs at constant 400 watts with a claim of a "sensitive" receiver. Theres no doubt this match works well however theres many times toward evening when the plankton come off the bottom that this low watt output/sensitive receiver combination will be rendered total useless by the clutter. Sure you can turn the sensitivity down to get rid of the clutter from plankton and thermocline but now you cant see you bait either. What good is that?
I've found that a higher watt sounder will give you the ability to reduce the gain/sensitivity to get ride of clutter but still see your jig. That is a major plus over the Vex. Remember a fix for shallow water performance or lack of was to purchase a Suppression cable for the FL8. The FL18 has addressed with built in suppression but has the FL8se? I don't know but I'm moving on to the MarCum LX3 this winter. The higher watt along with the ability to zoom the whole water column made it an easy decision over the FL18. Bring on the ice and we'll see how the MarCum performs.

Any unit puts out its running watts whether its 1500 watts or 400 watts regardless of where the gain/sensitivity setting is at. You can not control the power of the unit. The gain control only amplifies whats on the screen.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459