• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What ever happened to having respect for other Anglers?

Bulldoggr

SO here I am out on Mille Lacs. Like many others I study maps of lakes and from past fishing on te lake I lay out my plans for where I want to set up.

I always have a backup spot or two just in case someone else is there.

Tonight I just had a a guy in a Super Duty with a Plow on it, pulling a 5th wheel icecastle fish house and pulling a trailer behind that with ATV and portable house.

This guy keep circle the house and the others that are spread out a good distance from each other. He then pulls in front of me and sets up. I am not able to drive straight out if I want to leave.

I ask the guy if he is gonna set up there, seeing how he is on top of me.

He disagrees of course. and proceeds to unhook his truck. and start plowing around his house. I assume for banking.

It's not bad enough that he is doing this, but also doing this right at sunset when the Fish were just starting to show up.

Some may flame this, but I for one when I head to spot that i want to go to, and I see there is someone on it. I don't set up on top of them. I either move a couple hunderd yards away or go to another spot.

These are the same people that practically play bumper boats out here on Mille Lacs.

Just glad my Dad taught me to be more respectfull to other sportsmen.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bulldoggr

• tfin

• aanderud

• willyfahey

Yea it's sad when there is a whole lake and people feel like they need to set up right on top of you.

Yep welcome to Mille lacs! Woke up this morning with a new neighbor that seems a little close. If your house is closer than I would set up a tip up it might be to close

In one of Fellegy's books he calls them ( the followers) "parasites" or "ducklings".

All Hail Fellegy. God forbid a person fishes his/her favorite spot on the lake regaurdless of who else is the area already. The guy drove how many hours to fish that area and then you're going to tell him to move on because YOU need privacy. Bulldoggr needs to say how close this guy was. "Right on top of me" is not enough info to make a judgement with. It sounds intentionally vague.

The plowing during prime time is annoying -- but you can't honestly expect a COUPLE HUNDRED YARDS of space between every house on the lake. If you do, then you must not realize what a couple hundred yards actually is. There are a bunch of structures on the lake where a COUPLE HUNDRED YARDS will put you literally out of contention to catch any fish. Seriously. That's 600 feet, and actually the equivalent of about a city block. I guess in your definition, only 1 person can fish 9 mile flat.

How did he plow around his house for banking if he literally had you pinned in so close that you couldn't drive away without backing up?

Mille Lacs has the rudest anglers that i've ever seen. First and foremost it's a public lake just like every other lake so the more the merry. But if someone sees you catch a fish, they will be right next to your boat. sometimes about a foot or less. Have had it happen more times than I can count. Have some respect!!

I here ya fowlmouth. It's happened to me many times as well and I wonder if thats just because most people are lindy riggin and the slow speed allows for some nutty decisions. I fish the cut on shermans a lot and you can get some serious congestion on it. I don't know how you can complain about someone getting so close to your boat though unless your anchored up.

when that happen i usally try to make conversation with the other people and kinda say like i caught alot of fish here yesterday just

so they know i didnt pull up on them and depends on the spot if it was that i was catchingg alot of fish i'll fish there in the winter i try to get away from people myself as some one said its a big lake

in this day and age 50 people could have that spot on there gps and maybe pounded the fish there last week

plowing at that time was not to nice

he coulda let that go till later

Also just to mention when I went out, i was headed for this spot. When I got here ther were 3 skid houses in the area that I wanted to fish. I looked at my H2o with the lakemaster Chip and decided to stay in the area. However I didn't g to the spot I wanted. Even though I spent hours driving to get there. I didn't feel I had the right to just plop down n them.

So even though I have other spots I coud have also gone to. I looked at the Contours and made a decision to still work the group of Contours, ust not as tight as the area i wanted. I moved off about 100 yards away from the skid houses.

I made the choice in hopes of still being able to catch fish. yet also respect those that were there first. The only noise I made was from my winches as I lowered the house. I use an electric auger in the house, and don't use my generator until very late into the night.

I only caught 1 walleye and had to release due to it being 20" but I picked up about 6 perch. not one was big enough to clean and cook.

This same guy gets up in the morning and fires up te truck and is constantly driving around all of the houses and ramming on the accelerator. then decides to hooks to his rig and takes off.

I feel as my Dad taught me, and I have been open water and hard water fishing scince I was 3 years old. I was born in the 60's. I was taught to respect the land, the water, and my fellow sportsmen. I guess my ideas in this seems to be a forgotten thing with some. Also an unthinkable concept to others.

To me 20 yards seems reasonable as I don't mind having someone to talk to and see how their bite is. None of the other antics would've sat well with me though. Hope you have better luck with your next trip bulldoggr.

SO here I am out on Mille Lacs. Like many others I study maps of lakes and from past fishing on te lake I lay out my plans for where I want to set up.

I always have a backup spot or two just in case someone else is there.

Tonight I just had a a guy in a Super Duty with a Plow on it, pulling a 5th wheel icecastle fish house and pulling a trailer behind that with ATV and portable house.

This guy keep circle the house and the others that are spread out a good distance from each other. He then pulls in front of me and sets up. I am not able to drive straight out if I want to leave.

I ask the guy if he is gonna set up there, seeing how he is on top of me.

He disagrees of course. and proceeds to unhook his truck. and start plowing around his house. I assume for banking.

It's not bad enough that he is doing this, but also doing this right at sunset when the Fish were just starting to show up.

Some may flame this, but I for one when I head to spot that i want to go to, and I see there is someone on it. I don't set up on top of them. I either move a couple hunderd yards away or go to another spot.

These are the same people that practically play bumper boats out here on Mille Lacs.

Just glad my Dad taught me to be more respectfull to other sportsmen.

I am sure you were on a spot he liked as well. I don't think he purposely wanted to fish by you of all anglers out on Mille Lacs. The rule is 10 feet. As long as his shack/wheelhouse isn't within 10 feet of yours then he is legal and there is nothing else you can do about it but complain on here or to your buddies....Also, just because you wouldn't set up on top of somebody doesn't mean you should expect others to do the same to you in return. After all, it is a public lake...

This thread comes up a lot....and for almost everyone who fishes a popular body of water--whether it's the Horseshoe Chain, Mille Lacs, LOTW, or the local "honey hole"--you're going to run into this kind of problem. There's not much you can do....in the summer, it's much easier to move, but in the winter, it's best to just grumble under your breath and come online to gripe about it. I know I have. smile

Usually 100-300 yds is close enough for me. I do tend to try to find more distance. I don't need someone to ask me how the bite is. I'm out enjoying some peace and quiet and some fishing as well. However, it happens, people setup close and make lot of noise. Typically depending on the situation i'll either ride it out or make a move. I fish weekends out of my portable so moving is real easy - but others generators are pretty loud wink

After 3 hard weeekends of fishing mille lacs with all the room i wanted on the flats, i tried to fish some local waters around mankato - almost made me want to puke with the groups of houses out here - and no where to get away. I'm more of a wilderness guy, not an outdoor socializer when it comes to hunting/fishing.

I enjoy those big lakes and river systems like the Minnesota for their solitude.

I actually felt like I did this to another angler this weekend when I got to the lake and pulled my GPS as to where I had chosen to go...I went to 2 spots and had houses there in both of them... Then chose another spot and there was one that was about 60' or so from where I wanted to set up... I walked over and asked him if it was OK to set up where I was sitting. He said no problem as he was getting his stuff out of his vehicle into the house. After dropping my house and starting to set-up I noticed he was packing his stuff back into his vehicle and asked what happened. "I forgot my minnows" was his response. I offered him some of mine so his evening wasn't wasted and he politely accepted! I know we as fishermen/women can get protective over "our spots", but I think this proves that we can make choices and use our resources to find more areas to try when things happen. I don't like when people crowd me, but I don't expect to hold a spot or lake hostage when fishing...lol I would agree that 20yds is acceptable I just would've been more upset about the plowing at primetime. Now if I threw my fish out the door and he was catching them mid-air to help them hit the bucket...then that would be a little too close for comfort for me.

Good job BigDog, see if more guys actually helped and talked to each other on the ice it might be a happier place. I would not recommend anyone from this topic to fish the mississippi in the spring. 10ft or less seems to be norm down there.

I was at LOTW last weekend and had the same thing happen. Since I was in the bowl at 36' (with no one for 1/2 mile), I was a little annoyed. I finally figured it out - I was able to drive through the plowed drift and this person used my tracks. Most of the plowed road is tough to cross. Once I pulled my head out of my butt, I went over and talked with this father and son and we had a good rest of the day fishing near each other.

I was at Mille Lacs last night and was 200 yards from someone with a dish. I could periodically get a peek of the game. That is about as close as I would prefer to be, but on Mille Lacs, that can be tough.

I think half the people on here have no concept of distance. You can't watch a game on someone's TV from 200 yards away. That's 1/8 of a mile. I don't think a human could even identify what was on the TV from 200 yards without binoculars.

If you have gotten LASIK and eat a steady diet of carrots you could easily see a small TV screen through the window of a fish house from a distance of 2 football fields away. Everyone knows that...

I think half the people on here have no concept of distance. You can't watch a game on someone's TV from 200 yards away. That's 1/8 of a mile. I don't think a human could even identify what was on the TV from 200 yards without binoculars.

I remeber watching you catch that crappie last year that was at about 250 yards....no wait that was your son that caught it wink

Its hard to stay away from each other on a lake that is know as a structure lake and the fish on on the structure = crowds.

I try to stay away as far as possible sometimes other people think it is to close.

Swarovski 8.5x44.

But, I was listening to the radio and just would see that this guy had a TV when I poked my nose out of the house. Never said I was using it to keep track of the score... If it is that important to you aanderud, next time I will bring the range finder.

New rule for this thread - if you are going to post on this thread you need to use a rangefinder to gauge the distance you are going to say, AND you have to take a picture of the rangefinder reading the distance. grin

I think I can see why there's few keeper walleyes left lol, what a zoo and a half. Open waters a zoo frozen waters a zoo is it realy like tournament fishing 9 months out of the year ?

New rule for this thread - if you are going to post on this thread you need to use a rangefinder to gauge the distance you are going to say, AND you have to take a picture of the rangefinder reading the distance. grin

But how will we know the photo hasn't been photoshopped? We'll need two independent witnesses too.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Mille Lacs Lake is like the wally world for bring out the most wonderful people in the world. I have seen people set up houses in the ice roads, run over tip ups, and cut holes so close to your turck you have to ask them to move so you can open the door.