• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

i fished the lake for the past 15 years prior to moving to ND. the lake always produces nice fish year after year. Bout 5 years ago it got pounded. Looked like Rush lake for a few winters. But the lake has rebounded a little. South of the island, near the west side, drill lots of holes! Hole hop and don't drop a jig til you mark a fish. find the break and go from there out. Also dropped a set of cribs two years ago south of the island about 100 yards or so. The whole area has fish. There are a few other spots but my buddys would kill me if I gave that up! Waxies and any horizontal jig works great.

Good Luck

Thanks Bro. Thats what I am talking about. A new lake for me to fish and somebody that doesnt mind helping a fellow out. If I can help in any way just let me know

I dont live withing 300 miles of that lake anymore. so I have no problem giving up some of my spots. Also, there is a large log style home on the east shore, in front of that is an area we call "the ditch" its on the chip. that has also been really good to me as well. Late ice, the southwest bay just to the north of the access on the west side can be very productive. basically the mouth of the bay, be prepared to drill lots of holes reguardless of where you fish. Like is said walk with the vexilar and a can or waxies or artificials. Also Cross lake is loaded with crappies as well. Probably more fish in cross, but way smaller average.

just remember to fish at low light periods couple years back that wasnt the problem for that lake though now semms they only come in at dark spent a whole day out there with only limited success in the afternoon until night good luck!

I was out there last weekend during the cold spell and didn't do well. I think if you hit the lake today or tomorrow, you will probably be fine. Something about the barometric pressure. Ice is plenty thick. I didn't measure, but it looked 16+" of good ice. Little to no snow when I was out there. I came in on the north side boat launch and worked my way to the mid-south part of the lake. Good luck.

I dont live withing 300 miles of that lake anymore. so I have no problem giving up some of my spots. Also, there is a large log style home on the east shore, in front of that is an area we call "the ditch" its on the chip. that has also been really good to me as well. Late ice, the southwest bay just to the north of the access on the west side can be very productive. basically the mouth of the bay, be prepared to drill lots of holes reguardless of where you fish. Like is said walk with the vexilar and a can or waxies or artificials. Also Cross lake is loaded with crappies as well. Probably more fish in cross, but way smaller average.

Just because you don't have a horse in the race doesn't mean you can just mess it up for the ones who do! We all appreciate good general info, but when you paint a bullseye on a hot spot, it for one takes some of the fun out of the hunt, and for two it ruins it for the people who deal with the cascade of meat heads that come rushing out to the spots they worked to find. Rant done.

Just because you said that im calling every "meat head" I know and heading out there Saturday!

Whatever. Go kill the lake. Make sure you all leave an a$$load of trash out there while you are at it.

Whats wrong with a guy giving some friendly advice? You don't own the lake. Im sure no matter how unique you think a spot is...somebody fished it before you. Welcome to Minnesota, 10k lakes and 10 million fisherman! And for the record I usually leave with more trash than I brought.

Wow guys this wasn'tmeant to get hostile. what's with giving some information on alake someone's never fished before we are not selling national secrets

Dusty your a total BADA$$...

Hardly...well maybe a little...well at least I think so. Wasnt trying to be a d1ck, but his original post was a bit harsh.

Sorry guys i am up north and left my laptop on in the room with this forum up younger ones got on sorry about that was wondering what they were up to...

I agree with john, a little too exact with the locations, but its america and we can do that. I get what ya mean by MEAT HEADS, guys don't read the rules, and don't realize that you are in risk of a fine by fishing 10 feet from someone without their okay. I forget the offical rule, but isn't it like 15 feet away or something. I have had guys come closer, but I didn't say anything because they were smart enough to be real quiet out there. But when you get a mob fishing shoulder to shoulder around you.... I can get red like a good glow jig.

DONT LEAVE ANY TRASH!!

It was indeed a bit harsh. For that I offer everyone an apology. I still think, though, that when a post goes out that offers up some very specific info that a lot of people who just troll through here without ever joining or offering any input go seek and destroy. One thing I have noticed here is that if someone is active on the posts, they tend to be ethical sportsmen who respect their fellow men and women as well as nature and the laws. Once again, my sincerest of apologies.

John, No worries. I have never even been on the lake and if you would like to join be out there on Sunday by all means come by and crack a cold one with the gal and I. I have no problem sharing things. If you want a spot or two down in anoka county or chisago to chase some bass let me know or lake Vermillion to chase Walleyes or if you grouse hunt some areas. All people have to do is ask.

I admit, I'm a guy who doesn't like to give up specifics. That being said, I have only fished Poke for the last 2 years with no preconceived ideas where to fish. I've caught some great pan fish in areas where I have never seen another hole busted.Consistently. Lakes always have many more secrets than we know! One of my favorite lakes now!

It was indeed a bit harsh. For that I offer everyone an apology. I still think, though, that when a post goes out that offers up some very specific info that a lot of people who just troll through here without ever joining or offering any input go seek and destroy. One thing I have noticed here is that if someone is active on the posts, they tend to be ethical sportsmen who respect their fellow men and women as well as nature and the laws. Once again, my sincerest of apologies.

Dont worry...im not really going to Poke on Saturday with the meatheads! I moved here from Nebraska a few years ago and am just starting to get my feet wet again. Its not as easy catching fish in Minnesota as it looked on fishing shows when I was a kid. Im used to fishing farm ponds

where we may well have been the only ones who fished it that year. Buckets of big sunnies and crappies were always had. This is my third fishing season in MN and my biggest Walleye, Pike, Smallie, Cat, Sunny, and Crappie are all still from Nebraska! Although I did get a my biggest Perch, 13.5 and

Largemouth,22 here. I guess all im getting at is it nice sometimes to get a

little help finding fish. All I ever hear is "lake x" or try 25' in a lake thats 25'

all over. I know everyone works hard for there spots and applaud their

efforts, but try moving to a new state and starting from scratch and youll

want some pointers too. On a happy note, I took my boy out for the first

time Saturday and we at least got him on some sunnies! Oh and a leg down an 8" hole, I guess thats routine for a first timer!2013-01-27113103.jpg

Sorry didnt see this til this am. John you dont need to apologize for anything. "horse in the race"? ive been fishing that lake with my father since I was able to walk! I grew up just 9 miles from the access. And I still have lots of friends in Pine and Kanabec that have houses out there. So I gave up a few spots, big deal. I have way more than that on that lake. Just trying to help a guy out. I guide part time by the way and am for hire if you ever wanna come out and catch some reel slabs or Muskies. Its fishing and I doubt that come sat am there will be 400 anglers out there cuz "some guy" gave up a few spots. These spots are good spots indeed, but everything is timing. I wouldnt fish any of these spots without drilling 30-50 holes, why? cuz the areas are as big as a football field. Plenty of room if you fish 10 foot by 10 foot. The fact is its a good lake and can be intimidating. thought Id help a newby out and give him some good advice. Something other than "on the west side" or "towards the north shore"

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see what all the fuss is about.

Those spots are a either a cluster of houses or as mentioned, trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I would suggest you or others stop by the bait store on main street pine city (Tall Tales) and ask for advice.

Good people and they fish !

• 2 weeks later...

My wifes step dad has had a cabin on the lake for several years and this Winter has been one of the slowest Winters for panfish he can remember.

I tried it a couple weeks ago on two always productive spots and marked one fish!

My wifes step dad has had a cabin on the lake for several years and this Winter has been one of the slowest Winters for panfish he can remember.

I tried it a couple weeks ago on two always productive spots and marked one fish!

I would disagree a bit. I've done pretty well up there - not as well as last year but not bad.

The water level is lower and the water is much clearer than in years past so the bite has moved into the evening and at dusk more instead of all day. I have noticed a couple of my spots arent doing dump this year though

i have been out there twice this year and i was fishing away from the crowd and after 5 hours of fishing i had 4 big sunnies in my bucket and a DNR officer stopped by and said that i was doing better than most people. i went back and did worse than i did the first time. in years past my dad and i would go out there and catch sunny after sunny with a few crappies here and there. so i would have to say that the lakes is a lot slower than other years

The sunnies are tough to come by this year. I have only gotten a handful of nice ones compared to the pile of nice ones before. I have gotten more and bigger crappies this year than in the past

• 4 weeks later...