• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is 22 ammo really becoming hard to find?

MN BassFisher

Hey guys, I purchased a new .22 Long Rifle about a month and a half ago. I've really enjoyed it for plinking/target shooting, when I bought it I was trying several different brands of .22 ammo to see what my gun preferred. Well 2 1/2 weeks ago I moved to Colorado, I've been out to 3 different stores here and they are completely wiped clean of .22 ammo. Each store has told me their shipment date but warned me that it's very competitive on those days, you have to wait in lines, and the .22 ammo is gone in an hour. I've looked at several different sites online and they are all temporarily sold out as well! Is this the case in MN as well? This is getting crazy.

I would guess that manufacturing .22 ammo isn't as high on the list as some of the other calibers to manufacturers right now. If people would just relax and stop the hoarding of ammo everything would get back to normal and there would be plenty to go around.

You are correct huntnfish. The profit margin on .22 shells is nothing compared to making .223. The ammo makers are making .223 full bore after the run on ammo after Newtown. It's all about the dollar and making it. .22 ammo is pretty much gone down here in southwest Minnesota and around Sioux falls.

It was like this right when Obama took his first year in the office. Everyone started to hoard ammo, I needed some .22 stingers for the small game opener and I was out and none of the stores had any in stock. Hopefully It is not like this come the opener because I am down to my last box and could sure use some more.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Sorry guys my friends work at large ammo company in Anoka Minnesota and they are running 22 long rifle ammo 24 hours 7 days a week. 22 ammo is not the high profit ammo per round but when you make way more 22 ammo per shift then the other ammo. They run 3 lines of 22 and each one will easily put out million 22 rounds per shift and they are doing 2 shifts a day.

lots of flippers buying the 500 round bricks from walmart or scheels and selling them on that Craig guy's website for profit.

• 4 weeks later...

I read this when it first was posted and didn't think anything of it. One of my partners at work called me while I was in Duluth yesterday to ask if I would pick up some .22 ammo. There was NONE in Hibbing. He finally found some at Walmart. They clerk was opening a new case, limited your purchase to 300 rounds and it was over $8.00 for a 100 round box! It was gone before it hit the shelves. What is this world coming to and what is next?

I have found numerous smaller local hardware stores that have plenty of bricks and 100 packs of 22 ammo. Big box stores are way low or out. Then many have box limits on the ammo also.

None available at any of the store I've checked on the east side of the cities.

I have found .22 rounds everywhere I've been lately. However, most handgun ammo and higher caliber rifles rounds are nowhere to be found! Even online ammo sites are "sold out" and back ordered. Stopped at the Walmart in Buffalo 2 weeks in a row...case was empty except for .22 rounds and shot shells for duck/pheasant.

U sure the .22 rounds werent shorts or birdshot?

Walmart in Monti and Elk River are empty. The guy in Elk River said they are receivinng only 200 rds of .22 LR each shipment.... 4 boxes...

The farm in brainerd has 550 round boxes for 25$

I haven't bought .22 ammo for some time but these prices seem outrageous to me. Am I starting senility early or was .22 ammo around 2 cents per shot not that long ago?

I'm thinking for at least the past 4-5 years it's been about 3.5-4 cents per round.

About $18 or so for a 500 pack.

I remember your thread about picking up your first rifle MN BassFisher. I'm glad you found one and are spending time using it! Good to hear!

Actually, Federal is making 5 to 7 million rounds of .22 ammo per day. It is just the demand that is making it hard to find.

I have a friend that has been look for the clips for his 20/10 ruger. I have called several places none to be found. Something is gone on the rest of us are not in on.

NOW, After watching our senator Franklin on the panel for the weapons band. The guy is selling out the gun owners of Minnesota. The senator carried on for 3-4 minutes about how sorry Minnesotans are the Sandyhook killings. As terrible as it was, Franklin still figures there is no room for any type of gun that every looks like an assault weapon, to be owned by the public.

We as gun owners need to look at the list of 150 guns on the feds list to be banded.