• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

From the MN DNR Long Range Muskie Management Plan (copied and pasted)

"After more than two decades of using muskellunge progeny with origins from Shoepack Lake, it became apparent that fish resulting from those stocks rarely attained a large size. Data from the sport harvest coupled with DNR net catch information indicated that most fish in those populations were less than 36 inches. Of the 1,826 muskellunge captured by members of Muskies Inc. from 1970 to 1980, 85% and 15% came from lakes with native and introduced populations, respectively. Lakes with natural populations produced over 97% of the fish greater than 40 inches and all of the fish 50 inches and larger. Shoepack strain was discontinued as the source of further stocking efforts."

The DNR did stock Pokegama w/ muskies, what strain, I'm not sure.

I'm looking forward to hopefully catching a few 'ski's out there, once the stocked fish start getting bigger.

With the smelt, lake trout, and tulibees in the lake, I wouldn't be surprised to see some monster, possible state record muskies in Pokeg, in the future.

Brian

Are you sure your not referring to the pokegama lake in pine city? That had been stocked with muskies for a long time. I thought the grand rapids pokegama had just been stocked the 1st time within the last couple years? I know shoepac strain muskies were regularly stocked on many lakes in the 70's and into the 80's before it was known they just didn't grow very large.

Maybe I'm wrong. I thought spotted Muskie were shoepac strain but I just checked out DNR Website and it says showpac usually have dark bars on a light background. The ones I've been seeing in the dark house are spotted. My bad....

I think its cool you are seeing them in the spearhole. How big do you think they were? Prior to stocking, would anyone ever see one?

The dozens of shoepacks that I've caught/seen have been neither barred nor spotted. They are just olive/brown and drab. I'm pretty sure the DNR totally quit stocking shoepacks over 20 years ago.

I've never personally seen a spotted musky in this area. Sometimes the small ones have more contrasting and profound patterns, but I've never seen true spots. That will be sweet if some have spotted patterns in pokeg. Only about 15 years until fishing MIGHT be decent out there for them.

How big are these spotted muskies you're seeing?

Have seen muskies in the spear house long before the lake was stocked. The biggest was with my brother and we estimated it to be over a 40" fish, that was about 6 years ago. Saw 3 last and 1 this winter ranging from mid 20" to mid 30". I never understood why they stocked a lake that already had muskies in it.

Same goes for walleyes and lake trout. Why stock them when they're already in there?

Oh yeah, so there are more.

hey as far as spots go the smaller LL strain fish are spotted just about anywhere you see them. once they get over 40" or so they usually lose their spots, except in the bemidji area, where most of the adult fish have very pretty spot patterns. weird how the same strain fish have such different markings in adulthood in different areas of the state. would be cool if pokegama produced adult spotted muskies.......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...