• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My young daughter wants to go ice fishing has anything been biting on union or maple I want to bring her somewhere were she will catch something doesn't matter what type of fish.

Hunter,

Not sure if you'll get many replies here, fishing pressure has dropped off a lot since the holiday season, I haven't heard too many reports either, the people I know that get out and fish on a regular basis haven't been out which tells me it hasn't been too good.

What kind of vehicle do you have? Travel on Union has been pretty good ( the public access is snow covered and has a pretty good incline ), if you follow the trail off of the public access and go across the lake, you'll see the group of houses that are targeting Crappie mostly, probably a 3/4 to 1 mile drive from the public access. Folks hit it pretty hard over the holidays so I'm not sure how it is now.

If you are looking for a day bite type of thing, I would just drive down from the public access ( Union ) and hang a right and pick a spot, 16 - 19 feet, you could run into a Pike, Walleye, Perch or Panfish, you never know.

I haven't heard many reports from Maple this year, maybe someone will chime in and give one.

Good Luck!

Mike

I was at Sarah today, seems fairly drive-able though I didn't dare with my rear wheel cargo van, 4-wheel is probably a good idea. I marked fish all day long, they chased my lure like crazy but didn't bite very much, 2 bites I missed, hooked one and broke my line a couple feet from the hole, felt like a nice fish, and caught one 12" walleye. Was sitting at about 18'.

The guy at the bait shop said they were biting good on Union Saturday. I'm pretty new to all of these lake so I couldn't give you an exact spot to go. I do as Mike said and set up off the access road to the right as you drive on the lake, works great for me as well because I walk out. All I've caught on Union is walleye, with average success, can be fast and furious one minute, then dead quiet the next, bite has been best at sundown for me. I've heard panfish are around I just haven't had time to put in the work and find em yet.

I've been on Maple a few times this year and marked a lot of fish but again had a hard time getting anything to bite, tried almost every lure and bait combo I have. I've caught a lot of baby perch, one 12" walleye, and an 11" cat. I go out at Polk County Park on the NE end of the lake, a few other regulars out there as well, I've been told to avoid groups but it's tough if you're walking!

I'm an amateur so not sure how much this will help but hopefully you get something out of it! Good luck!

Joe

thanks guys I was thinking about union but a buddy said they are catching a lot of northerns on the river in thief river falls any one ben out there?

The northern pike bite is pretty reliable on the river here in TRF. I haven't fished the river for a while now, but there sure were a lot of folks out yesterday afternoon!

My youngest boy and I did a long sled ride yesterday from our place north. Covered a good number of miles up river and around town. There were people fishing all over the river.

I'd venture that your best pike bite would be behind the Community College right now, and on up river toward Lon's Bridge. Set tip-ups with the largest live bait you can find in 5-8 ft of water and you'll have a good chance at catching a few nice pike.

On a really good day it's nearly impossible to keep up with all the flags. On a slow day you'll have a few pop up and catch a few smaller fish.

Welcome to the Forum Hunter32. PM me sometime and I'd be happy to show you around, and even take you and your children out for a day of fishing.

went to union straight out from public access caught two walleyes in the two hours we fished daughter had a blast so dad did too now she wants to go again good times even if fishing was slow.

two walleyes in two hours! Nice! I know that's slow for a great walleye factory like lake of the woods, but for around here that's a pretty decent fishing trip. When it comes to lakes in this area, you'll drive yourself mad if you target walleyes. I target panfish and pike, and when I catch a walleye it's a bonus. I catch just as many walleyes (if not more) now, then I did when I targeted them. glad it all worked well for you and your daughter

Good deal Hunter! I was out on Union Monday and caught 3 eyes, lost 3 more, fast and furious for about 30-40 min at sundown! You weren't the guy I borrowed my auger to by chance were you?

I must have ben there was only one other person on the lake I was pretty worried we wouldnt be able to fish since mine wouldn't start thanks for the auger and good job catching three we caught the first one right away wish we had gotten set up earlier.

I love reading about these chance encounters. Especially the ones we're completely unaware of until after the fact!

Are you Thunderfoot? Yes, I am Thunderfoot! Are you Hunter32? Yes, I AM Hunter32!

Happy to hear you and your daughter caught a few fish!

smile