• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Most people fish the rainbows either by the creek on the south end or all along the north end shore line in about 12' or less. Wax worms, Erolarvae or small crappie minnows on small plan hooks or jigs are what most use. Tip ups with the sucker would work better for the Lakers out in deeper water. I use spoons and rainbow chubs for jigging Lakers in deeper waters. I have caught Lakers in 20' to 80' so your guess is as good as mine where they will be on Sat? Good luck out there! wink

Thanks for the advice. Are the creek areas fairly safe to be around? Do most people drive and park in the middle of the lake and walk to their destination from there? Anytime there is current, I get a bit nervous driving (one of the reasons I haven't been out there yet). Hopefully we can find some fish!

Thanks,

Joe

The creek area can have some thin ice as there is a little current there, but just don't go any closer then the foot prints of others you see there. I think I heard that people are driving around the lake now.

Last call!

If your still on the fence! "GET OFF" and come on up tomorrow!

Sounds like there's going to be some pretty good food there for lunch.

Hope to see you out on the lake! smile

Fun meeting all you today for lunch. Thanks to all who brough the great food.

Wish fishing had been better, but congrats to lispeej for the catch of the morning and scoring an HSO hat. (though no one seems to have actually seen the fish shockedgrin)

Hope you all had better luck after we left. I'll get some pics up ASAP.

I had a great time today meeting everyone and eating so much I had to loosen my belt after lunch! Well I got Skunked and fished two feet from Lee who pulled in three Lakers, a nice Crappie 35' down in 70' of water and he also got some big Smelt! I was just to bullheaded and set in my ways to down size. Lee was down to a bare red hook and crappie minnows and had a few other bits as well.

Thanks for eveyone that came out, the day was a little on the breezy side out on the lake but all the good food still went down some how! Thanks for Rindhard who again gave up a ton of his great home made smoked brats for the GTG! I did end the day with a nice jar of pickled pike and some meat threats from Rinehard I found at my truck when I came back in. Thanks a gain everyone that came it was nice meeting a lot of you for the first time! smile

full-27051-29967-gtg006.jpg

full-27051-29969-gtg005.jpg

full-27051-29970-gtg007.jpg

full-27051-29971-gtg009.jpg

full-27051-29972-gtg011.jpg

Looks like everyone had a good time. I was unable to make it, stuck it home doing chores. With the weather report predicting a good pile of snow, I figured I better get the snow blower going (needed a carb kit), then my wife and I ended up getting all of our firewood into the woodshed before the snow hit. By the time we finished that, it was already later in the day.

Still hoping to make it up there soon!

-Joe

Awesome time. Nice meeting with everyone,thanks for the pointers Leech and Reinhart for the tasty brats. And congrats to Lispeej for the catch...you and i need to go fishing together one of tese days.

Yes, it was a good time. My fishing partner and I caught two smelt!!! and he caught 2 mud puppies...were they every ugly!! along with a few perch. Still, a good time on a beautiful lake. Thanks to Reinhard and Leech for organizing. full-241-29983-january2013fishing009.jpg

full-241-29984-january2013fishing007.jpg

DonBo, how about those pic's? I know you had a group one that would be nice to see. Thanks. wink

Here's the whole gang after enjoying an awesome lunch on the ice. Wish I could remember everyones name, but I got too old for that a long time ago. blush

P2090248_zps95332129.jpg

It looks like the way you and I were holding our hands, that my imaginary Laker was a lot bigger then yours! laugh

• 10 months later...

Join us for the 4th Grindstone Gettogether on Saturday February 8. Fish morning and/or afternoon. Gather near the red barn for a "potluck" around noon. It has been a great time in past years. Again, nothing formal. Just fish, eat, meet some fellow fisherman and have a good time!

Like to make it again, but last report said little ice with lots of slush. A more recent first hand report of ice conditions would be nice.

I think I remember you from last year Don! The meat man is going up opener to check things out and I might too. Remember...it's the 8th this year and not the 9th!

Leech posted GPS coordinates last year.

N 46 67.894

W 93 00.773

Take 35 W to the Sandstone exit. Go west on Hwy 61 to the Grindstone lake/ Audobon center sign. Go right just a short distance, then left on Grindstone Lake Rd (hwy 27). Just after you pass the lake on your right (across from the church camp), take a right on West Grindstone Lake Rd. Go a couple of miles to the Red Barn. People access the lake here. It is private land but the owner lets people access the lake here in the winter. If you go to the public landing just a short distance away, you've gone too far. Turn around and go back to the red barn. Sorry I don't have exact mileage.