• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new auger

FishSystem

Question

Going to be buying a new auger, while I prepare to overhual my old Mag2000 strikemaster. Looking at the Jiffy Propane. I have heard it is good for the power (8" size) and no problems, but only talked to 2 guys that have it. Anyone have problems with it? Like the idea of no gas/oil mix anymore. Clean exhaust as well. Thanks for any input.

13 answers to this question

I see that they are about 40 lbs, and the only issue I've seen is that same thing, that the regulater sticks, and it floods out. I read from a guy who was told to send it in, but is a mechanic so he looked at it first, and found that there is a spring that doesn't have enough tension to shut a valve (something like that). He adjusted the spring, and has had no problem since. I think that if you have a little basic knowledge of small engines, a lot of problems can be easily fixed by yourself. I have fixed my old strikemaster everytime I had a problem. This sounds like an easy fix, and it is the only problem I have heard of. I think I am gonna go with the Jiff propane. Now.... 8" or 10". Hmmm. I think I gotta go 10". I had a S.M. 8 1/4", and would like a 10". The cost difference is about $40

If you have young kids the 10 they can fall through, also hurts when you go nut deep in one dragging a shack... Have yet to see a fish that wont come up a 8" hole unless you fish lakers....Honestly I spend less on a mix of gas for a season that 1 propane tank costs, and I hate the little green things...

I haven't had a fish that won't fit an 8 inch hole, but very close on LOW. Had my biggest eye wouldn't fit the hole, and wasn't fighting at all. I use 4 lb line, so gentle...gentle... he wasn't gonna fit. I sat down (in the porti) and told my bud, "Its too fat!" thats when I saw my rod straightening out, and this fish pushed himself up the hole. I could hardly get my fingers between the fish and the side of the hole to his gills. fish was about 36 (give/take 1". I compared to my 32"rod) and had to be near 14-15lbs. Mid depth monster on LOW.

I have however lost alot of fish that run at the bottom of the hole and burn my line off on the ice because I didn't get his head in the hole quick enough. I don't have any kids, and I think the 10 is for me. The 12 is a bit too much. I am hearing that I could get alot of holes on a green tank, so 2 would last me the year. I got a adapter to refill my own from the 20 lb tank.

I appriciate the feedback. If I find any issues with the propane auger, I'll be sure and post back in this topic on it. Hope not. I didn't feel like doing the gas/oil mix anymore. getting too many labeled gas cans sittin in the garage already.lol. Clean exhaust, not bad. Thanks again for the replys.

Icegator electric auger with Nils auger and can do 60 holes through 24" ice and runs at 375 RPM. Just keep in warm area because freezing temps are hard on batteries. Luv mine.

Going to be buying a new auger, while I prepare to overhual my old Mag2000 strikemaster. Looking at the Jiffy Propane. I have heard it is good for the power (8" size) and no problems, but only talked to 2 guys that have it. Anyone have problems with it? Like the idea of no gas/oil mix anymore. Clean exhaust as well. Thanks for any input.

Bought the 10" Jiffy pro4 (propane). LOVE IT! I'm used to the weight and don't mind it, but it sure is quiet. Drilled alot through what must've been 24+ inches of ice....not a prob. I just wish.....I got it sooner.

Bought the 10" Jiffy pro4 (propane). LOVE IT! I'm used to the weight and don't mind it, but it sure is quiet. Drilled alot through what must've been 24+ inches of ice....not a prob. I just wish.....I got it sooner.

Fish, how do the 1 pound cylinders hold up? How often do you replace them and how many holes do you drill per outing?

my buddy and I have probably drilled a 100 holes so far this season and we're still on the same 1lbs canister.

I have heard of 100 hole on a tank. With the stx drill unit, it is excellent. I have heard of the regulater not closing, and it floods out. Learned that it's an issue with a spring. Easy fix. Hasn't happened for me though. I got the 10" and the power is plenty for it. I always disconnect the hose from my 1#, and let the engine (still running) die off to get the gas out of the line. If you let the 1# get VERY cold, it might not work too well, the gas doesn't want to change from liquid if it is REAL cold, so I keep my 1# in the truck if it's cold out. No problems so far.

Glad you are liking the Jiffy Propane. I got the 8" model for Xmas and love the thing. It isn't the fastest auger out there(dads strikemaster lazer is a touch quicker) but it cuts darn smooth and never bogs down or hangs up. I am still on my first 1 lb tank and have definitely passed the 100 hole mark. Only thing I adjusted was the idle speed screw. It was finicky when I first ran it and needed to be backed off or the auger would spin at idle. Then after breaking it in awhile I had to turn the idle speed back up. It is really quiet and doesn't stink real bad, though the propane exhaust does have a little smell to it. It is a heavy auger, but that doesn't stop me from running and gunning one bit. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Just gotta see how long it lasts... that's the true test.