• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going out tonight

erikwells

This will be my second trip going after coyotes ever. There is a lot of sign on my deer land. I have 2 moth calls dying rabbit and the coyote call. I was listening to the radio last night and they were saying it's mating season and the coyote call is typically pretty effective this time of year. The longer coyote call is the greeting and the shorter coyote bursts are considered to be the more aggressive call. My quesion is do you use the more aggressive call as they get closer or should I get on the dying rabbit? Any help is appreciated I know very little but never the less I'm excited to give it a try. Thanks.

I'd hope for the moon to be out and I'm outside a lot after dark, even in this cold, and I haven't heard much for coyote chatter, just after thansgiving I was hearing all kinds of yotes, but they have been hunted and pressured since then, and 11 of them are no longer, I wouldn't call a ton but if you try a few areas vary your calling, if you succeed copy that again and again that same night, I wonder if coyote to coyote that some like a lot of calling and some are skeptical, I think with the full moon nearly here I'd like to put a carcass out and hunt over it, may be too late for that does it take a few days for the scent to leave etc. but they have 0 problem hitting my gutpile shortly after I get a deer, save a fawn drop a yote or 3. Good luck and report your hunt.

Thanks Muskybuck pressure is part of the reason I'm going. Very few people coyote hunt in the area and after hearing an adult coyote eats 4-5 deer a year I decided I better start controllig the population if I expect to see deer next season. I'll setup up wind on a hill over a slough next to some woods and see what happens. I'll provide a report on Monday.

Hope you're having some luck...I just stepped outside and the moon is full and straight up...temp is minus 15 and the wind is barely noticable, just a slight movement from the west-southwest....a perfect nite...it is a perfect nite...several days of bitter cold and strong winds have made hunting and staying warm a problem for predetors...they are hungry...I'd skip the howling to start with and just go with a rabbit distress call...set up, call for 20 minutes or so, and then move about a half mile to a mile and start all over again...I remember many a bitterly cold clear night like this that I called in several varmints. I always liked to have a shotgun in my lap and my rifle handy for any that hung up...but, I usually ended up getting most of them within 20 yards...many of them "alot" closer...have the itch to get out too...I just may walk out to the edge of the yard and set up in a bit and give a whirl...if I have some luck, I'll be in the truck and headed for another set up...

Thanks lichen fox for the advice. I went out about 9:30 p.m. Friday night and sat in one spot for about 45 minutes by some woods on the edge of a slough. Sat at the base of a tree for cover and called on my rabbit call and did not see or hear anything. I know they are around but no luck. I'll give it a stronger effort this weekend. It was beautiful out there and me being an optimist I kept picturing coyotes busting out of the slough at a dead run straight for me or coming out of the woods across the field. I moved to a fenceline and called for another 20 minutes but agin they were a no show. Before I left I did use my coyote call. I was still really excited just to be out there, I'm sure I missed some great television. Thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to share my success or lack thereof.

• 3 weeks later...

Going out on trip number five this Saturday evening and #6 Sunday morning. I'm going to try to sit in one of me deer stands however that will depend on the wind. Last weekend while fishing I heard a pack howling and yipping aggressively. I spotted two coyotes last weekend while driving my sons to a wrestling tournament. I'm hoping this will be the weekend I actually see a coyote while hunting. Thank you all for the tips, I'll share how this newbie does next week.

The wind switched on me and I was forced to trek through the snow for 1/4 mile to get the wind to not work against me and was shutout. Tried before light Sunday and went back out to a different spot in the afternoon. Still haven't seen or heard one while I'm hunting. I see and hear them when I'm fishing or deer hunting. Maybe I am that poor on the call? A little discourage but I'm not quitting until I figure out how to do this and actually get a shot. Good luck, Erik.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

It will happen. I believe it was you Eric that said something about a lake I heard some on a lake on saturday just as the sun came up. I would set caller on the west side of the point and then sit back near the fish houses with a rifle.I have been out a few times earlier this year and have only called in owls. I hope to back at it this weekend maybe friday night.

My uncle over near Cambridge has been calling me and telling me I need to get over there and shoot a couple off his land. He says he is seeing a pack of 4 everyday during daylight hours. I need to just get over there, but I got this nasty cough and dont want to blow it. Also my dad had them come into his back yard and chase after the dog. Why he did not grab his rifle and take care of them is beyond me. He lives between Princeton and Zimmerman.

Monstermoose78, I do most of my hunting in New London and I'll keep trying. Seems like the lowlight or full moon clear nights are probably the most effective times to try from what I have read. I thinkl I'll stick to those times to give myself the best chance. I've tried in the afternoon a few times and have felt like my chances were considerably lower than low light but maybe I'm wrong on that too. I end up in Princeton quite a bit as my sons live there. We had a wrestling tournament at the high school Saturday. I hope to move closer sometime soon. I have really enjoyed the folks volunteering and the wrestling parents. I really like Princeton. Maybe we will bump into eachother sometime, thanks for the advice. Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Still batting 0.0 however I'm going out this weekend and will try a few sets. A couple are sloughs next to woods where I hear coyotes often. A friend of mine is coming along Saturday so we will give these new sets a shot probably setup in the cattails for concealment. New spots = new optimism. Good luck.

When we go out on full moon nights a fail at a couple sets, before we do another set we get in the area and turn on a coyote locator call and howl at them to see if there are even any around to call in. This allows you to not only get confirmation of yotes but a pretty good idea of they're location as well, so you can imagine which route they will take to the distress call when you set up, given the wind direction. This just saves us valuable time I guess but last weekend worked to our benefit, failed the first set, knew the next walk was going to take a LONG time so we wanted it to be worth our while, turned the locator on nothin'. Drove to the next set and they howled back not even a quarter mile off the road, short walk, set up, called in the 3 dogs we just had howlin'. Turning on a locator call won't guarantee they will respond, but when you can find some that do respond, as long as you do everything else right it makes the set that much better walking out knowing it's almost a sure thing.

Hunted during lowlight and dark this weekend. Plenty of foot prints and turds but I did not see or hear any coyotes. Mainly blow on my dying rabbit mouth call. After 40-45 minutes I switch to my coyote greeting for a few minutes before I pull the plug. Is it possible that I blow my call so poorly that I'm not able to bring them to me? I keep telling myself I have not been right place right time but after 8-10 times out and not seeing or hearing a coyote with all of the sign around I'm thinking I might be wasting my time. I'll take a look at an electrinic call but it's probably an item for next year. Am I just that bad at this or is it really a matter of right place right time? Thanks

erik try finding as many places you can gain permission and keep trying eventually you will come across some favorite spots that hold coyotes year after year. More than likely its not your calling but if you could listen to an expierienced caller they could give you some tips. My best hand call is the government hunter cottontail distress. Its closed reed lower volume,I think it helps in the wooded area I mainly hunt in.Good luck!

Pike79, thanks I drive through Cold Spring weekly on my way to New London. Just let me know where to pick you up on my way. Seems like there are quite a few varmit hunters in that area. I'll keep at it and I hunt wooded spots often. I just figure I must be screwing it up because the amount of sign I see (tracks) I figured I'd have at least seen or heard one by now. I'll keep at it, sooner or later the son has got to shine on this dog's butt.

erik, let me know the next time your up this way maybe we could work some thing out. I had the same thoughts my first years, hunted around my house because it was loaded with tracks but every time I called I got nothing. Once you call that first one in you'll be hooked. By the way I heard the average is about 1 coyote in every 8-10 sets.

Pike79 that would be very cool. I spend most weekends on Games lake in New London. I work in Bloomington but live in Kandiyohi county. I grew up in the area and have a few farmer friends that allow me to stumble about their land. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you are serious about getting out, thanks.