• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1st annual Burntside ice fishing tourney?

March 23rd is the set date. Anymore ideas, rules, etc throw them out there. Should be a Adult and children division. Maybe have a tourney on snowbank on sunday the 24th. What do think?

Horrible idea! Sorry.... just my personal opinion. Not a fan of fishing tournaments, especially for a fragile fish population like lake trout in B-Side. That lake already gets ridiculous pressure now days, why add even more? For money and bragging rights?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I say do it on Miners

Burntside already has a "fishing contest", more of a fisherman get-together called the "Burntside Bash" in March. I would also be concerned about the extra fishing pressure on a delicately balanced fishery.

Couldn't agree more. B-side gets pounded now as it is. Lakers take a long long time to grow and if I'm not mistaken there is no longer any Lake Trout stocking. (could be wrong on that) Hopefully a lot are going back down the hole.

Burntside hasn't been stocked with lakers for the last couple years, and there are no plans I'm aware of to reinstitute it. The Burntside Bash used to be an actual tournament, and in the last few years has gone back to being just a fun get-together.

Whether you call it a tournament or a get-together, it's still a lot more guys than the usual weekend fishing for (and many keeping) lake trout. We've had as many as 80-100 people at past Bashes.

The jury is still out on whether native reproduction of lakers on Bside has recovered enough to maintain current populations in the face of the smelt issue, lack of stocking and the marked increase in winter laker traffic in the last 10 years. I'm not confident the species can withstand all three of those factors.

Smelt threaten lakers (and other species in the lake) in two ways. First off, it's a fairly sterile fishery, with a couple small areas of exception. Smelt are voracious egg eaters, and their numbers are legion. They also are small, so they compete during their whole life cycle with hatchlings/fry of all species for the micro-organisms suspended in the water. So they knock down the hatch of other species with their egg eating, and they make it harder for fry recruitment. Double whammy.

The smelt are responsible for the plunge in laker and walleye numbers that happened after the smelt were released into the lake in the '70s, and also for the extirpation of cisco (none found in Bside since 1997) and near extirpation of whitefish (only a few mature whitefish have been sampled for the last several sampings). They've effectively replaced cisco and whitefish the primary laker forage in the lake.

Since about 1980, the DNR has been stocking about 60,000 to 70,000 yearling lake trout every other year. In 2009 (which was not a standard stocking year), they threw in an additional 1,000 or so fingerlings and also released just under 1,000 adult lakers they'd been using for brood stock. In 2010, the last stocking year, more than 70,000 yearlings were stocked.

When I first started fishing Bsdie lakers 10 years ago, about 80 percent of my catch was fin-clipped lakers. Today, about 80 percent of my catch is non fin-clipped lakers. Of the 18 fish we'e caught so far this season, only one was clipped. While the DNR doesn't often catch a large sampling of lakers when surveying the lake, they've noted a similar trend.

Regarding winter pressure, when I opened first on Burntside in January 2003, I wandered most of the lake and only saw about 10-15 people. It was an easy access year, with nice thick ice on opener and only about six inches of snow. I drove everywhere in my pickup. In contrast, the last couple years there have easily been 150-200 folks on the lake. This I know from my own counts and talking with COs. That's a huge increase.

That's reason for optimism that stocking has brought laker numbers up enough to establish strong natural reproduction. My worry is that it won't last now that stocking has been suspended. It'll take many years to know for sure, I guess.

For all the reasons mentioned above, I consider Bside a laker fishery at risk. I'm against adding a second event per winter concentrating on the species.

For more in-depth info on Burntside, go the the DNR's lake finder page for Burntside Lake.

Yeah, sorry Barak, I'm not down for it either.

I used to fish tournaments but don't anymore and have reverted back to just enjoying fishing for what it is. I got hooked on lakers for a number of reasons that are the antithesis of tournament angling. The two just don't match.

Geez jumping the gun. It would be a day of fishing just like any other day. Winner gets top dog angler of the year status. No advertising! Just the diehards who frequent the addiction of ice fishing. A little competition never hurts. U cant fish a lake out in a day.

March 23rd is the set date. Anymore ideas, rules, etc throw them out there. Should be a Adult and children division. Maybe have a tourney on snowbank on sunday the 24th. What do think?

Hmmm so the bash is all ok. A new idea is just awful.

That's not how I look at it, but you certainly are entitled to your own interpretation of my comments. smile

No biggie everyone can think and act independently. Just thought a friendly fisherman contest amongst the people fom the forum would be fun. Basically all the input was negative if you read the whole thread. It's a public lake set aside for public use last time I checked. Well happy fishing.

Hey Barack how about you just go to the bash and set some side bets with some boys. We have done it that way in the past. All in fun with no competitive vibe.

No biggie everyone can think and act independently.

Exactly.

You certainly don't need anyone's approval from here. I understand you put it out as an invitation to us on the site and thanks for that. It's just not someting I'm interested in. I have enough problems icing fish on Bash day for a pic, let alone adding any contest pressure to it. laugh

It's easy to get excited about laker fishing and want to share your experiences with others; that's how the sport gets so much press on here. smile

Happy fishing to you too and maybe we'll see you up there at the Bash or another time.

Lol yea im sure there could be some side bets. Whens the bash? Burntside was a bust today lol. You got a stage and renta-dancers at this party? Yea i gotta few side bets i suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Heck Casey, we've only had safe ice one out of the last three years, since the DNR extended the season until the 30th of March outside of the Bdub. frown

Hopefully we can get our record to .500 this year. confused

So put a bounty on the smelt when there running gill nets 24/7. Christisen outta Duh-loot makes nice nets. I'm sure if the government let general public volunteers fix some of there long and short term goals they'ed be happy. There now just getting to the moose issue, there under staffed big time. Well the wolf population is up moose and wood rats population down ding ding ding. I'd volunteer my time helping the DNR or forest service anytime. As for the fishery on the border waters it's still best in the lower 48. As for a tourney let Great outdoors pick 10-20 fisherfolk who fish the winter bite every week. He can make the rules. No money involved just for fun. How's that Mr voss. Dont think the fishery will disappear over a day.

I wish I could have found the thread from about 9 years ago that discussed Lake Trout fishing on Burntside and the concerns some of us expressed about over fishing if the lake became too popular. On that thread the same people that said not to worry about over fishing Burntside are now the ones worried about the fishery. They were also the same people that promoted the lake for the last 10 years. I guess the chickens have come home to roost. In my opinion the damage is already done so another fishing contest won't make much of a difference, have fun.

Actually the fishery is great cause not many people catch fish consistently. There's plenty of fish left in da lake. There's alot of strong year classes of native fish left. A DNR survey is not accurate on a lake of burntsides size.

I wish I could have found the thread from about 9 years ago that discussed Lake Trout fishing on Burntside and the concerns some of us expressed about over fishing if the lake became too popular. On that thread the same people that said not to worry about over fishing Burntside are now the ones worried about the fishery. They were also the same people that promoted the lake for the last 10 years. I guess the chickens have come home to roost.

I agree. Wisdom comes more slowly to some of us than others. Wish I had it to do all over again. Would have done some things differently. frown

I seem to be saying that about a lot of things these days.

IMO, the question is not whether the laker fishery is healthy on Burntside right now (it is.) But whether it will remain so down the years with no stocking (I have my doubts.)

The only way the lake would be fished out is 5-10 years of hundreds of boats fishing everyday from ice out till mid ma and from October till freeze up. Right now the fish are all over the lake. That lake got gill netted hard back in the day along with the rest of them it survived. Throw everything over 25 back if she gutted ur bait cut the line. The more u handle and monkey with pictures might as well keep it instead of feeding the blow-horns