• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which fish scale?

huntnfish

Question

I am trying to make a wish list for Christmas and was wondering which fish scale is the best. It doesn't need to be digital, but that would be nice. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

12 answers to this question

I have the 15# rapala and it seams to work great. Uses a 9v battery that is replaceable and is accurate.

I'd go digital for sure if your looking to weigh moderate size fish (up to 30 lbs.).

I have the Normark 15 lb. and 50 lb. and honestly can't recommend either (the black rectangle ones that have been around for awhile). I've had a few problems with them giving me bad read outs. I had to take the unit apart and re-adjust a piece down by the bottom to get it back on track. Anyway, it is difficult to tell when it is reading correctly or not with 2-3 lb. fish as it is only off by 8 oz. or so. It cost me weight in at least one tournament. Next scale I get will likely not be Normark. Their new scales, marketed by Rapala, seem to be better. I've used them a few times and it seems to be better. I'd look at either the new Rapala scales or Berkley.

They have the same Normark scale as I've had problems with on sale at BassPro for $14.88. I paid either $40 or $50 a few years ago. I can see why they are reduced, as they are junk. The Rapala Sportsman is the model that I seems to be good from the few times I've used it, that one is $17.99 @ BPS.

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 10-07-2003).]

If you're serious, a Chatillon IN series spring scale, costs about $60.00, lasts a lifetime

Boga Grip! These are as bulletproof if not more so than a chantillon. They will land fish, unhook fish without ever touching it, and weigh fish. They can be certified by the IGFA and will be deemed as a certified scale for world record consideration. They also work as a bottle opener in a pinch. They come in 15 & 30lb models and allow you to weigh without injury to the fish. Truly a super quality unit 2 thumbs up! grin.gif

[This message has been edited by kwkfsh (edited 10-07-2003).]

Boga's are nice. I have a couple Chatillons that have made a number of fly in trips with no problems. Wouldn't recommend any of the plastic ones, had a couple different brands bust with larger fish.

If you want to spend about $80 or so id definitely get a boga grip! Were I go on my Canada trip they have one of these and they are SWEET.
I have a Berkley scale right now. The one that goes up to 20lbs. That works nice and I seem to use it a lot.

------------------
Fish ON!

I've got a shimano spring scale that seems pretty acurate, it's much better than the old deliar's.

Boga grip? Those sound good, I'll have to check them out. I think I've seen them, just never paid much attention. It would be nice to have something that is easier on the fish. Those have the jaws to grab the lip of the fish without having to go through the lip or under the gill (if I'm thinking of the same scale)..

[This message has been edited by Dan Wood (edited 10-07-2003).]

Boga's are definitely the way to go. Although, Normark's new Boga Copy in the heavy scale is very nice....DO Not get the Berkely Boga Copy as it doesn't rotate. Had a friend who almost broke his wrist with a big cat that decided it didn't like someone grabbing(who would've thought.)

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

I tried the cheap Berkley copy last year and returned it and got my money back as it was junk. It does not lock closed and will allow a fish to slip off on many occasions. The jaws will also slice through the lower jaw of certain fish ( red salmon ). The Boga suffers none of these problems. They are not cheap ($119 )but are worth every penny. I have landed hundreds and hundreds of King salmon up to about 40lbs. and it has performed flawlessly. Once you get over about 40 lbs. they do not fit over the lower jaw anymore.

I went through 2 digital scales, a rapala and a berkley, before getting a chatillion. No problems now, always accurate, never needs battries.