• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time fishing Lake Winnie

In years past we always spend a weekend on Red Lake for walleye fishing, however this year we are planning on making a change and spending our weekend on Lake Winnie instead. I have never fished that lake before and I am looking for any suggestions on where to stay, how to fish (jig types, colors, sizes, minnows, etc.), and where to look for them. We would be looking for both perch and walleyes.

I have never stayed at any of the resorts at the Lake, however, all I have heard is great things about Highbanks Resort on the north end of the lake which there is less traffic up that way as well. There is also Dennys and Nodaks on the south end. As far as fishing goes, I have always had good luck fishing the main humps or flats on the north end of the lake, trying to fish on the top edges on turns and points, (Lakemaster chip). I have had the best luck with the perch colored frostees or bannana style jigs under a bobber tipped with fatheads. Find the right spot and you'll get a mix of perch, walleye, and an occasional northern.

I always fish out of High Banks. Great people there. They plow roads all over out there to some flats & North up to Perch Bar. They have sleepers & Cabins. Top edge of structure just like Fish Whisper said. Its not quite as easy as fishing Red, where you just go out in the middle of anywhere and catch fish. LOL If youre interested & set up you can catch decent tulibees out on the deeper edge of the structures during the day as well if the perch arent cooperating. Pink/Gold Buckshots are usually what I use out there.

http://www.highbanks.com/ or they have a FB page as well.

I always fish out of High Banks. Great people there. They plow roads all over out there to some flats & North up to Perch Bar. They have sleepers & Cabins. Top edge of structure just like Fish Whisper said. Its not quite as easy as fishing Red, where you just go out in the middle of anywhere and catch fish. LOL If youre interested & set up you can catch decent tulibees out on the deeper edge of the structures during the day as well if the perch arent cooperating. Pink/Gold Buckshots are usually what I use out there.

http://www.highbanks.com/ or they have a FB page as well.

Does highbanks allow paid road access for a small fee to the public? Or is all just confined to just customers who booked the resort?

Besides Highbanks, what other resorts have sleeper houses available for rent that can hold 6 guys. It seems that they have theirs already booked the weekend that we are looking at. They were our first choice as that is what everyone is telling me to go through. So I'm hoping that there is another resort that can help us out.

• 4 weeks later...

we will be coming up there this weekend. myself and m.y four boys will be getting a house from Ryan Peterson. as stated this is the first time we will be fishing Winnie so am just looking for some up to date info on where and how to fish the lake. not looking for your hot spots just some idea on how to fish the structure. Thank you

Did very well on perch yesterday in 11 fow. One ice 26.5" walleye and a couple of 4-5 lb pike as well. Talked to a couple people who were shallower who didn't catch a thing. Caught a few out in 20 fow, but not as many.