• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Summer trip questions from a first-timer

Hello these 30 below temps have me fired-up for our annual Canadian fishing trip to our families a break from good ole Dad. We have gone to a few lakes up in the Nester Falls area in the past. We are going to try Rainy Lake this year. Going at the end of June. Hoping for a late Spring so the smallies are still up shallow. I think my buddy is looking at Coppen's Resort. I like smallies. He likes to catch northerns, and we both would like to catch just a few 16in walleyes to eat. We are mainly guys that cast all day and troll at dusk. Any words or wisdom would be appreciated. Gonna get the Lakemaster chip and a map and give it a shot. Does a guy need the Remote Border Crossing Permit to go back and forth? Are they sticklers about this? Are there resorts where a guy can pull in and get a burger or pizza? We pretty much fish from 7 am to 10 pm . I can hardly drag him off the lake. I'm pretty thirsty by that time. Thanks for any info, Sam

Hello ssaamm,

Up at Coppen's you have access to some of the best fishing on the lake up in Red Gut Bay. You'll find all the species you desire up there and your smallies should be hanging in areas adjacent to where they're spawning so possibly a little deeper but look for areas of busted up rocks. Smallies can be found shallow on Rainy all year until about August. Walleyes will be shallower in June as well.

You will need an RABC pass to go to and from American and Canadian waters($30.00) unless you stay on the Canadian side.

Thanks for the reply. Silly question. Do I buy the border crossing permit from the US or Canada? I would assume the US. I bought the N and S Rainy maps. I've heard from a a buddy the crappie action is crazy at times.

If you are staying at Coppen's you don't need a RABC unless you plan on going across to the US by water, which you probably would not do, as the fishing is better, or at least as good on Redgutbay. If you want to go across by water to go to a restaurant or bar, which is complicated and not recommended because you need a RABC from Canada and still must check in with US customs. Incidentialy Coppens is a great resort as is the Fisheries which is close by. If you want to go to a restaurant or bar better to do it by driving.

Thanks for for the feedback. Sounds like there is really no need to go to the US side as the fishing should be good where we are at. I understand the water is stained and not gin clear. As a result, any reason to troll at night, or does it pretty well shut down? Thanks again, Sam

Did I read the reg's right? The limit is one walleye between 14 and 18 in per day on a Conservation license w/ 2 in posession?

Hi Ssaamm,

The Canadian regs on Rainy for walleyes is 1 fish between 13.75 & 17.75 inches. Stay over night at a Canadian based resort you can take 1 more... Need proof of that stay. Canada is reviewing the regs & will be in place 2014...as was told to me.

Sincerely,

Fishmeister

As far as I know you read the regulations correctly. I have never heard of the deal to keep more, if you are staying at a Canadian resort.

I don't understand your question. If it's about limits, the discussion we were having, was about limits in Canadian waters, not US waters. Don't fish US water, so don't know the regulations there. Somebody else will hopefully reply.

I have stayed at Coppens and Taylors Cove. Live bait is a problem also it your planning on crossing the border. Restaurants and bars are non-existing on the Canadian side. Taylors Cove is also the cheapest place to buy gas on the Canadian side.

8 walleye and sauger, no more than 4 walleye on the US side.

The great thing about staying in the Redgut Bay area is good fishing very close by.

This year we will be staying on the US side. No crossing the border wait, coming and leaving, larger limits for shore lunch days,and can always fish the Canadian side if we want.

Hello Ssaamm,

The regulations for non-residents are 1 walleye between 13.8" to 17.7" long or 1 over 27.6" per day with up to 4 in possession if you have a sport license and 2 in possession with a conservation license. This year the new regulations include all lakes south of Nester Falls northeast to Upper Manitou and further east to White Otter lake. Visit www.mnr.gov.on.ca for the map and all regulations. If you want to go for supper in Int'l Falls, it will be quicker to drive in and in the evenings there is ussually little or no line-ups. I ussually get my minnows from Rainy Lake Sports in Fort Frances or if I'm up the lake Great Bear. Hope you enjoy your stay.