• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ran into sheriff on the ice on adrians.. pease read

They patrol the heck out of that area for DWI's. I've been to 4 different resorts in the past 7 years or so and every one of them has given us a very stern warning about how seriously the sheriff in the area looks for drinking and driving. It's obviously never a good idea to drink and drive anywhere but the resort areas of LOTW is one of the last areas of the state that you should push your luck. It's a very quick and easy way to ruin your vacation.

Haveing a law enforcement officer show up on the lake any hour of the nite is a good thing in my book. Nothing like this to shut the thiefs and destruction way down. What thief would steal if he knew a officer is waiting just around the corner for him?

As he drove up, he may have entered your plate number, and was waiting for info on your truck and owner to appear on his computer screen?

Not to be a Debbie downer, but here is my 2 cents. As a tax payer in LOTW county I can't say that I like them driving the cars/trucks out on the ice, exspecaily at that time of night. If they would happen to drop the rigs in the ice it could get expense. Exspecaily if one of them got hurt. Just a week and a half ago I heard of 4 different vehicles that went in. Patrolling the lake in a boat is different then in a car/truck.

Just saying.

It seems obvious to me that he was out there on DUI/DWI patrols. Thats really the only possible thing he could be checking drivers for. Can you even get a traffic ticket on a lake? I can see maybe for excessive speed perhaps but thats about it. Also theft prevention is more about pressence in an area so he technically could be do theft prevention work at the same time just because of his pressence in the area.

Based on the description of the event by the original poster I'd say the interaction was a little weird but not worth getting undies in a bunch over. The LEO didn't pull the guy over since he was already pulled over loading his GPS. The LEO just pulled up beside him and asked a basic question. The odd part is the long awkward pauses. Likely he was running plates but its still a little weird he wasn't a little more talkative. Usually they'd ask a few questions and keep the conversation going just to get a gauge of whether you've been drinking or not. Regardless the LEO was a little awkward in his interaction but thats about it, seems like a non issue to me.

Quote:
Also theft prevention is more about pressence in an area so he technically could be do theft prevention work at the same time just because of his pressence in the area.

BINGO!

I wish we would see more LEO presence on metro area lakes. I think we may see more DWI patrols on lakes after last weekends tragic accident on Minnetonka. Their presence will deter DWI's, thefts, and senseless vandalism. Sounds like a good thing to me...

I don't see why DUI enforcement would be any different on ice, than on open water. Yes DUI on ice, in vehicle, on sled on ATV is enforceable.

I was up there earlier this year before you could drive trucks on the ice. We were staying in our sleeper at one of the resorts on shore on their private property. My buddy had to work late and arrived at 3am. He pulled into where all the houses were parked and stopped to call me to pinpoint our location out of the 100's of houses parked on shore. An officer pulled up next to him and asked him what he was doing. He told him he just got there and was looking for his friend to sleep in a house. The officer then asked him for the name of the friend he was looking for and he proceeded to give him my name. The officer made a long pause then told him he can't be here at this hour and had to leave. My buddy didn't question his authority to make him leave because he has had some bad run ins with authorities years back. He left the lot and was followed by the cop all the way onto the ice where he slept for the night in his car. I am sure the cop just wanted him to drive so he could follow him to see if he made a mistake so he could pull him over. I didn't think making a guy sleep on the ice in a cold car was doing his duty to "protect and serve". The resort owner was not too happy when I told him about the cop forcing paying customers off his private land.

I agree think this officer was a little left of center on this one. I would have followed him to your house and verified that he was in fact supposed to spend the night ther..

I don't see why DUI enforcement would be any different on ice, than on open water. Yes DUI on ice, in vehicle, on sled on ATV is enforceable.

In the winter, state officials say you can legally drive your car on frozen water with an open liquor bottle as long as the driver is not intoxicated. Motor vehicles, including ATVs and snowmobiles are subject to the same drinking laws as summer time boaters. Passengers can also legally have an open bottle of liquor in a car, snowmobile or ATV on frozen water. But, if the driver of that vehicle is over the legal limit, DWI laws apply and the person will be arrested.

Found this from a news report tonight...thought it went along with this thread.

JP

In the winter, state officials say you can legally drive your car on frozen water with an open liquor bottle as long as the driver is not intoxicated.

JP

Not going to find me doing this! I would advise 100% agaisnts this idea...

I would have thanked him for being out there. Id like to see it more on all lakes around Minnesota. You were sitting on the lake parked at 1:30am he was just checking to make sure everything was OK and yes that you were not intoxicated. I dont see why it wouldnt be "lawful" for him to be out there. The potrol in the summer time on boats and jet skis all the time. The DNR does a good job of looking after what goes on on MN lakes but a good old visit from a police officer every now and than is never a bad thing....IMO