• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big game leaders

ted4887

Right now, I'm browsing the interwebs for some big game leaders. Right now, Hayward Fly Shops leader formula is probably at the top of my list. Out of the guys out there that are chasing some of the bigger toothy stuff, what leader formula are you using?

Nice topic. For streamers on sink lines I keep it really short and really simple

18 inches of 40lb maxima with a perfection loop to the fly line

12 inches of 25lb toothy critter wire or 25lb maxima if I'm not expecting big pointy teeth

I might experiment with hard mono and floro but so far the formula above is my favorite

PS. getting hung up when rigged that heavy is ots own little adventure. I had a rock take me into my backing on a float trip this year.

Hayward's idea is pretty run of the mill.. 40-30-20 leader formula.. only thing I'd change is I'd use a tippet ring over the loop to loop from the 30# to 20#.. I'd feel a slightly off cast would make that 2nd loop to loop hinge badly.. or that weeds would hang up on it

That's been my complaint about my home made leaders. The knots get real bulky and hang up on everything. For some, I've just gone to a straight 40lb 3' leader. The flies are so bulky and heavy they turn themselves over.

I actually started that when I snagged and broke off a knotted leader. I tied direct from my 40lb out of shear laziness and it ended up working out.

And who ever said that laziness will never get you anything! grin

Ted

This is what I do for my leaders. I use seagar Floro. I start with a perfection loop then measure out about 2 1/2 ft- 3ft of 40 lb then Imeasure out about 2ft of 30lb and then 2ft of 20 lb or so.This is my recipe for bass small or large. But if I know that their is going to be toothy critters like pike or muskie then I shorten the 20lb to about 12 in then tie on a chunk of about 18 in of 60 lb floro. So is very simmilar to your video u put up. for leader to leader conections I use a double Uni knot.

I'd feel a slightly off cast would make that 2nd loop to loop hinge badly.. or that weeds would hang up on it

I used the same 40/30/20 formula last year, just with different knots. While I'm sure it will have some problems, such as weeds, and occasional hinging, being able to change that section quickly just seems like it will have more benefits. Especially when it comes to quickly switching. The thing with musky is that if I see one, throw a few flies at it, and don't get a response I want to be able to change to another fly as quickly as possible. not having to tie two sections of leader will save me a good minute or two at least.

Trial and error will be the name of the game this year I think. Hopefully that's not the case, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Donny, aside from the knots, that leader formula is virtually identical. Did you and Ryan get out after musky at all last year? Have any luck?

I'm all about keeping mine short and simple with as few of connections as possible for many reasons but can't stress enough- don't forget to leave yourself a weak link on purpose (20-25) or you greatly increase your chance of breaking your fly line somewhere. I've certainly seen a lot of them break in random spots but especially any sink tip section and color changes of course. I'd much rather lose flies than lines, especially if you don't have a back up rig with for some reason.

I had initially thought I'd probably use uni-uni knots more than anything. Ted makes a good point though.

While I do tie a quick uni-uni (that's what she said?) I'm not going to want to think about tying knots if I'm casting to a fish that's right there...

big thumbs up to adding a 'break-off' section...

Good thread. Good people up at the Hayward Fly Co. That slim beauty knot is something else. I think I'm going to learn that one.

Dude, that slim beauty is about as easy as it gets. The only thing is that when you're tying 20lb hard mono around 60lb flouro, it's not quite as easy. If you were dealing with 10lb tippet or something, this knot would be cake.

I'll actually be coating all of the slim beauty knots in Knot Sense though. Same with any other non-perfection loop knots, just to smooth them out a little bit.