• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smokers/ExSmokers

minneman

Question

For you Smokers,Last Wed.Am I had a real I opener, 6:am sitting right here, cup of coffee, havin a smoke, reading the best fishin info around, I feel kinda clammy/hot. I reach up behind me to open the window. after opening I feel as tho I pulled a muscle in my chest. nothing major, just irratating, 10 min. later its more of a heavy feeling, I go lay down next to the wife to strech it off. NOT!
30 sec. of that I wake her with the Scarriest words to ever come out of my mouth.. "I think you should take me into the hospital, "I think im having a heart attack??"

With pain that feels like an elephant standing on my chest we get to emergency and although relieved to be there, I still am in pain. 2 little sprays of nitro and the pain is gone. the next day im shipped to Fargo for an angiogram, and ultimatly angioplasty and a stent for the blockage they found. lucky for me there was only minor damage to my heart, the blockage was not in a major artery.

Here is the thing, Im male, 42 yrs young, and there is no heart disease in the family, None. my Cholesteral level is 164, Im not over weight, 6'3" 205lbs, and am phisically active. My downfall is that ive Smoked for 26 years! !!Quit Now!!

Ex Smokers, please share with me the ways you found things to do to avoid the urge, I havent smoked since 6am wed. and am doing the patch, so far so good, but today I return to work (selfemployed const) and in this biz smoking is the norm. Yes, they will all get an earfull!!

Thanks for your time! I have a totaly new outlook on life now, and sharing this is part of it, hoping that atleast one of you great people will Kick it!! Ted

• Answers 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• upnorth

• minneman

• Paul Rohweller

• irvingdog

I CONGRADULATE ALL YOU GUYS OR GIRLS who are extending your lives! I am an "x" smoker, quit the day after my 12 year old son was born. (nic. gum and tons of bubble gum) I'm also an EMT who works wright co. and I would prefer to meet you guys on the water, NOT in the back of my truck, at work! Catch fish. Stay healthy. Turn into an "OLD COOT".

Yeah, you all want to stick around long enough to be a pain in the a$$ to your kids don't you? smile.gif

Tommorow is day 23! WEEE!!!! I dont miss those evil satan sticks. Kinda funny to be able to smell and taste again.
FunFact. As of tonite I havent smoked about 950 ciggys (holy moley thats alot of smokes!) That equals about $154.37 Man freedom feels good... Keep on keepin on folks!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Officially on the Quitting Program with Zyban. Woke up Sun AM, and told the wife and kids - That is it! Only 2 dyas on the program and less than a pack in 2 days when I usually go about 1 1/2 packs a day. Toothpicks, sunflower seeds, gum is all handy! Program states to set a quit date 7-14 days after you start. - My official quit date will be next Tuesday. We just happen to be going on vacation and I figured what a better time!

Glad to here it Muskinut! getting out of your normal routine will definetly help!

Aqua, I sure hope things are smoothing out for ya!!

Paul, glad to hear your hangin in there! Fresh air, ya gotta love it!

the monkey is getting weaker all the time. Im in my 5th week and the patch has helped a lot, however, I can tell, as can my family that I still have a problem with the Nicotine, I can get kinda edgy, not shakey or anything just easily irratated, when I forget the patch. So ive been thinking about the zyban, to rid myself of the Nic. its eaither that or I just go for it!! Im on the middle doseage on the patch, I spose I could just finish it out with the low dose and then see how it goes...?

No matter what, I feel very proud of myself for quitting! My youngest girl (6) and I were foolin around playing games and she said "Dad, lets see who wins, hold your breath!" so we each gulped some air and my god, I went 57 sec. (she beat me) but wow, I could maybe do 25 sec pror to quitting.

Its all good!

Hey Ted! I havent wore a patch in a couple days, not much problem with it, just little monkeys occasionally. I can beat them down with a tootsie pop! My bride on the other hand becomes almost unbearable if she doesnt wear a patch...Funny how they affect different people.
I still carry a patch along with me in case the urge becomes unbearable, so far so good tho... Keep it going folks!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425

Good work, everybody! A healthy round of back-patting and a nice "hoo-wah!" is in order. C'mon Ted - you let her win. wink.gif
34 days. In 34 days I used probably 16 pieces of 4mg gum that I found in the glove-box from the last time I quit.
I'm starting to get my head back. Brain isn't as quick as I'd like it to be (like it was when I was juicing it up with nicotine every 50 minutes) and the emotions are a few blocks away from a walk-in-the-park. I heard somewhere that there is a 6-week cycle for replacement of cells in the human body - it takes six weeks for every cell to replace itself (sort of) at least once.
(Scifisher - help me out with this, eh? Am I full of carp-roe?)
If that's so, then in a week & 1/2 all my old addicted cells will be gone and replaced with shiney new ones!

Rob

It is great to see all the people who are setting themselves free from smoking here.

I remember a day while I was still using the patch and I forgot to put one on. I was such a pain in the a$$ the people I was with talked me into going home and putting one on. Edgy and irratible would be an understatement smile.gif

I don't know how many were motivated by this thread, but it is really great to see everyone come together to help the other guy out and through this.

I wish that there was something out there like this thread to help when I quit a bit over 6 years ago, might have given the push a bit earlier.

Keep it up and good luck to all that are early in the quitting game, it does get easier as time goes on.

I've smoked for about 20 years now. I did manage to quit for 6 months useing the Nickatroll patch about 3 years ago,I felt better at that time than I have in years. I got into a stressfull situation, and gave in. Out of all the stupid things I've done in my life, that was the stupidist! Now I'm going through the struggle of tring to quit again. I would like to be started by deer season, but thats only two weeks away and I'm not sure I'll be to that point yet. I'm going to try the patch and gum, I would like to get ahold of one of those inhailers but I'm not sure where to get one.
Congrats on this thred! Allthough it has nothing to do with fishing or hunting,its the most helpfull one I've read yet. After all it's hard to fish or hunt if your dragging around a 02 tank or dead.

Willowcat -
The Nicotrol inhalers are available at pharmacies without a prescription. Good for you, man. The deer will have less to smell if you do.

Ya know somethin'? A while ago I cruised around About.com and another smoking cessation site for threads with testimonials.
None were as real, as in-depth, and as helpful as this one thread is.

Today while I was cleaning my shop I came across a bag of Drum and a pack of good papers.
They are in the round-file with the kitty litter now!

Peace ya'll.
Rob

Rob

OK, i have to chime in now. For the last two weeks I've swam in and out with the gum. I go two days without, then smoke a couple in a day, then two or more days without. I"m missing something here big time. When the BIG cravings come, i fold like a pussycat. They tell you "You have to want to quit". I know I want to and believe I'm almost there. I can go 2 or 3 days without. Then I freak. Help me out if you can.

addicted
chunky

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hey Chunky,
you can do it man. You gotta tell yourself before you cave each time that "you will eventually have to quit all over again anyway". Why make it harder by having to start from scratch each time(although I have to give you a lot of credit, it's much better than not quitting at all).

It's 3 weeks for me with no nicotine or crutches. I can tell you for certain that I'm done. I do have a wife that still smokes. I could use it as an excuse. I went out fishing for 2 days with two friends who smoke. I could have used that for an excuse.

The crabbiness lasted only the 1st 3-4 days. I hardly crave a cigarette anymore. I'm done smoking - you can do it too Chunky!!!

It's all in how motivated you are.

Don't let that smelly brown round thing take over your head. Keep banishing it everytime it sends it's smelly craving. Take deep relaxing breaths of FRESH AIR and have a clean drink of water EVERY time you want to banish the smelly brown thoughts.

It gets easier everytime you do it without fail. I guarantee it.

Just ask the guys who couldn't quit to save their lives before having smoking related heart problems how they managed to quit successfully.

You got it - they were highly motivated.

Quit smoking and live a better life.

When you're quitting the foul smelling round brown things we're with you all the way smile.gif

You CAN do it!

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-29-2003).]

O.K. chunkytrout, I'll try to help you also. Knock off the waffling or your going to die due to your weaknesses. you say you want to quit? Cool. Show me you've got the slightest bit of a survival instinct. It is killing you. Dead. Miserable kinda dead. No "going down in a plane crash". No "quietly in your sleep".

Nope. Not for you. Your death will involve tubes, gurgling, pain, tears, young survivors, profound expenses, sorrow, family members looking for things to blame........
And there will be only one. The fact that you couldn't grab the brass ring as it dangled out there in front of you.
Come on man. Don't go out like this. Make a list of things you want to quit for. Oops, I meant live for. Print out this thread. Read it. Over and over and over and over again.
I loath tobacco. it killed 3 of the most important people in my life. I quit 2 years ago. I feel no moral superiority. I wept like a baby because I had all the proof in the world right there in front of me. But it took holding my little boy in my lap, and wanting desperately to do this for many years to come, before I could push through. I didn't want him to see the tubes, weep the tears, hear the gurgling..............

Fight man.

Chunky, you've got choices. Quit and Jan. it's Walleyes perch or Pike, March it's Sunnies Crappies or perch You know the summer choices... In Oct. it's fish, ducks, grouse, archery deer, etc. etc. etc. Don't quit and you get choises too (kind of). Chest pain, or difficulty breathing. Ever see anyone entubated because they can't breath? How about defibrilated on a garage floor because thier heart quit working. Emphasima is a good choice too, the O2 tank can go right with you in the boat, untill you can't breath any more and someone calls my partner and I to put an entabation tube down your throat so you can keep profusing. Naw, it wouldn't have stopped me either. You quit when your ready to quit. Buuuutt, the sooner you quit, the better the chance I won't meet you at work. Never say die. always keep trying.

I posted it earlier but I think it Worth posting again:

If you are craving a cigarette you can have one and the craving will go away.

or

You can NOT have one and the craving will go away.

If you choose the later method you will enjoy a new quality of life that cannot be matched by anything.

I had to question myself this morning. I was telling my self I got to quit smoking, and how much its messing up my life. But at the same time I'm telling myself this, I'm lighting up a smoke. Has any one eles done this? They say the second and third time you try to quit gets easier,for me it seems to be alot harder. But my mind is made up.

Here's one for ya !!

List 20 of the most important things in your life, then replace one with smoking ! What do you want to give up ? You will probably give it "ALL UP" way to soon if you don't quit smoking. Why take the chance ?????? Give me and yourself ONE GOOD REASON !!! I quit, so can you !! WASN'T EASY !!!

Good luck !!!

Richard

Willow, Nothing, in this world that is worth doing to benifit ourselves is, or ever will be easy.

Ive been trying very hard to become wealthy enough to provide for my family to live comfortably, without worry, and thats WAY harder than this. quitting puts money back in your pocket.

Getting to the 4 week point will really help, there still will be "times" but get over it! Commit to being a non smoker.

I need to quit and I will need support from my fellow FM members/friends. This is very hard to tell everyone, but sometimes the truth hurts.

I have been following this thread for some time now, waiting for my time to quit. My name is Eric and I'm really close to 30 yrs old. I've smoked for close to 10 years and it's taken it's toll on me.

I have three heart conditions that weren't cause by smoking, but it sure isn't helping anything.

I have a leaky Mitral Valve, Enlarged Aortic Root, and Ventrical Arrhythmias. Ya I know, tell me about it. (if anyone wants to know more about these diagnoses just ask)

I was just prescribed (today) by my cardiologist Atenolol which is a beta blocker to help with the arrhythmia.

I have made up my mind and will quit tomorrow or when my 6 cigs are gone tonight. My doc told me that the best way and most successfull way is to go cold turkey. Thus this is what I'm going to do, cause I'm not taking anymore pills. Plus it's cheaper. Mind over matter right?

Here's to Life, Health and Happiness. This will be a struggle as I am way addicted to those friggen cigs.

I can do it, I have to, I need to.

I'll keep in touch FM'ers.

Your friendly EBass

Eric,
I got you, buddy. You'll see. You CAN fish without smoking.
Got some extra bucks? One on one hypnosis worked for me, and under any other circumstances, I'd NEVER buy into the stuff.
Are you in the metro area? If you need a non-smoking fishing partner from time to time, let me know. You'll recognize my ice house. It's the one that doesn't stink of cigarettes!
Don't give up! Cravings last for 1.5 minutes! Don't give up!
Like someone else here said, you can light up and the craving will go away, or you can not light up and the craving will quickly go away.

A few years ago I lost my last grandpa to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.. We always got along great, more of a father/son relationship, I carried his work load around the farm when he retired.. He was an ex smoker, probably 45 to 50 years worth. He quit about 13 years before he passed. The last year and a half were pretty hard, in and out of the hospital, hooked up to a nebulizer while at home, just plain miserable..His lungs and heart just werent getting enough oxygen to his brain to function normally. He was normally an easygoing god fearing person but somewhere that last year he forgot who alot of his family were, he would look at me and didnt know who I was , alot of yelling and screaming at his kids. The last time I saw him I was walking out the door to go home and he was yelling at me for no apparent reason. He didnt know who I was..
I know he didnt want to go out this way, it wasnt his nature, he quit smoking but for him it was too little too late. Guess my point is dont put off quitting, you cant do it soon enough, just imagine not being able to recognize your first born for your last year or so on earth, it was extremely hard on everyone..Almost a month for me now, shoulda quit ages ago, shoulda never started...I'm doing it, it isnt easy but each day passes and I can smile because I've had alot of encouragement from this thread, it means alot to alot of folks .. Most importantly do it for yourself and your family! Make sure you get to see your grandchildren in good health, any luck at all you might even get to see a few great grandkids..Thats what I'm looking forward too. Take care and stay strong!! Togather we can all do this! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425

EBass the Doctors are always right !! The best way to quit is cold turkey. I quit cold turkey over 10 years ago and I won't lie to you, it's going to be a GRIND to get the monkey off your back !! I felt the urge to have one for over two months and to this day every once-in-a-while I have to breath deep just to remind myself that getting that monkey off my back was one of the best things I did for MYSELF !!!!!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Just quit. There is NO pain involved.

It's just the cravings and you just have to SAY NO to them and not give in. They definitely do pass. They sneak up on you again, but they do that whether you quit or not.

I quit cold turkey, 3 1/2 weeks and it's really not so bad.

You don't need those stinkin smelly round brown things full of chemicals going into your lungs.

Chunky, how you doing????

I've quit for a few months now and it's not that bad. I crave them when around others who smoke so I don't go around it much. I always just list the pros and cons of a cig and the only pro is making the craving go away, which obviously will happen anyway.

Hey EBass!
Way to go sir! I have noted that you fish the Rum some. If you would like to hook up and fish I know the stretch between Princeton and Cambridge quite well. It might be too late this year; but what the heck you're gonna be around next year and we'll do it then. Good Luck and keep it up!

mm

ENTER-Sensitive Supportive Guy...
Oh, that must be me....

Chunkytrout -
Don't give up, man. There were times I had three pieces of that gum in my mouth at a time. The rush is magnificent! The heart-burn was a drag - but it got me through the rough spot.

Don't beat yourself up for caving. That will only Feed The Need. Forgive yourself.

An old Shrink friend of mine said that addiction is a symptom of something that could really use fixing. It may be absolutley friggin' huge and well beyond your ability to control - or it may be a little thing - or the only cause may be that your physiology digs nicotine. You wouldn't be the only one, y'know.

Lab rats don't suffer childhood abuse, loss, horror or guilt - but they still think nicotine is worth banging a button for.

Quitting tobacco use is not going to fix the cause - but it will let you live long enough to put the true demons to bed - whatever they are. Please be strong, brother. You are not alone.

If this is a good time for a testimonial - here goes....
In my lifetime I have been addicted to cocaine, marijuana, valium, tylox, pharmaceutical morphine, heroine, preludes, alcohol, dextramethorphan hydrobromide, cigarettes, and violence.

The only thing I didn't allow to run me was needle-play (too risky without a guru) and hallucinogens ('cause I wasn't independantly wealthy and a guy can't very well go to work trippin' his a$$ off, can he? I did 'em, just not regularly).

Smoking has been the 2nd hardest thing to quit 'cause it was the 2nd thing on that list I got hooked on. I may never get to a point where I will NEVER have another drink -but I will never get s-faced again, 'cause I know that as soon as I do I'll be smoking -and that just ain't gonna/can't/won't happen. I'm not a (rhymes with stitch) for that drug anymore.
I'm a FreeMan, and that freedom is worth fighting for.

I'm going 98% sober and 100% cigarette free because play-time is over. It's time to be the man I was born to be, and it's time to kick a$$ instead of having my a$$ kicked.

The Right Thing is rarely the easy thing.

If I can do it - so can you. I'm soft and weak - It won't take much to better me and I bet you can.

Ebass -
Maybe when we both quit, our mutual friend will take a stab at it, too.

Peace ya'll - and dammit - I'm committed to helping us all spank this monkey! wink.gif
Bah ha - couldn't resist that one.

Rob

[email protected]

Well day 2 here for me quiting.Yesturday had a few tough cravings but they passed.I will succeed.

Needing help with something is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of being a human being!!! We all need help with things from time to time.

Quitting takes alot of resolve and mental toughness. So if you are gonna be successful, you need to be fully motivated. These addictions are sneaky little b@stards that come up out of nowhere and get you when you are not prepared.

If you are gonna quit you need to be prepared mentally for those times that the cravings sneak up on you. There are many things you can do, but the biggest thing is to know when they are apt to strike and have a simple plan on what to do to get through them.

I made a list of the things that made me want to quit and kept it with me. Every time a craving hit I pulled out my little list, most of the time by the time I got my hand on the paper it was gone or subsiding. May sound corny but it worked for me smile.gif

Ebass,
Heart disease runs in my family and that is one of the reasons I'm on day 38 I think. It's just something you gotta do, plain and simple. Everyone hang in there. This thread has helped me a lot and it will help you. It's all a mindset. You can't think of it as something you're depriving yourself of but think of it as something you're gaining by quiting. You're gaining another day in the boat, another day of hunting, another day of enjoying your wife or kids etc. The list goes on. I figured for each pack I did not smoke I gained a day of living. Just do the math.
GOOD LUCK - WE ALL CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Moly thanks for all the support and stories. Day 1 here and oh yeah I want to have a smoke. But I haven't nor did I buy some while at Cub this morning. I can tell that I'm a bit on edge, but that's ok. All I want is my heart to be normal, well as normal as it can get I guess.

Mistermom, Sure I'll take you up on that Rum offer next spring. smile.gif

Aquaman, yup he needs to quit to. Everyone needs to quit. But they make them so addicting that it's very hard. I will struggle with this, but that is ok as long as I stop.

Again thanks for your support. I will chime in here to keep you updated on my progress.

Nicotine is in the body for 3 days and the rest is all mental.