• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coloring bucktail/squirrel hair

Wildlineman

Question

Can anyone give me some insight on how to permanently color bucktail hair and squirrel tail hair? I've decided to try my hand at re-tying some Muskie sized in-line spinners and bass style spinner baits this winter.

Also what type of glue do you use on your threads?

Thanks for the help!

Shayne

8 answers to this question

the coloring i know nothing of. i just use them natural. to seal the treads i use clear finger nail polish. i would think that some kind of model glue would work too. can't wait to read what the other guys use. del

Head Cement is what you need for sealing the thread. Try to avoid *Zap* brand head cement for it is like working with crazy glue.. a good way to glue your fingers together amongst other problems. Your thread choice will be critical when it comes to tying bucktails. I had my best results using commercial grade thread that was used for sewing canvas. Not only does the thread have to hold the hair very tight, but it must resist teeth damage. Smaller diameter is better, but must be very strong.. forget subtle.

As for coloring the bucktails yourself .. I have no idea. If you get ahold of Stamina they sell bucktails in lots which makes the price very reasonable. Usually the tails are a bit smaller than others, but they have a good color assortment available, and you can tie a heck of alot of tails for what you get.. well worth it.

Wildlineman .. if you need help making bucktails, shoot me an email .. worst case scenerio I dont live too far away.

[This message has been edited by Fisher Dave (edited 09-17-2003).]

You could check into "color-rite" dipping dye, I've been using the same bottle of red dye for years, but I'm sure they are still a making it.

I never dyed a bucktail with this stuff, but, but it has colored many white plastics for me. I'll dip one tonight and let you know how it does.

I use clear two part epoxy on my threads, it's pretty easy to work with and it lasts longer than fly cement will.
I don't know about dying I buy the stuff already dead. LOL.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

I use liquid RIT dye, dip 'em in the full strength RIT, wring 'em out a bit wearing rubber gloves, rinse 'em and voila, dyed bucktail, squirrel hair, you, the kids, the dog, the kid's dog, and anything else that gets within 10ft. If you are not satisfied with the color after rinsing, and drying, just reapply if it isn't dark enough, or thin the next dip with H2O if too dark.

Good Luck
Ol' yellow hands

Thanks for the replies! Excellent info!
I plan on making some natural colored Muskie sized hair baits. Since I have access to a lot of deer tails and of course squirrel tails I just thought I'd try to color a few of them. I seen some colored tails in Gander Mtn and thought it would be nice to get a splash of color like red or black or maybe yellow on a few of the baits I tie.

Anyone else experienced with this?
Shayne