• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Motor question

fishman50

Question

I've got a Minnkota trolling motor (2002). My problem is this: I have the foot pedal, but I can only get the motor to turn one way. So, when I push the foot pedal right, the motor will turn right. But when I push the pedal left, the motor won't turn.
Any ideas what to do? It's such a pain trying to fish the wind and have to keep using my hand to push the motor.
Thanks for your help!!

5 answers to this question

A 2002 should still be under warranty. If you sent in your registration card take it to a repair shop. If you didn't send the card in, you will need your receipt. Most of them have three year warranties.

I had the same problem on an intermittant basis.....

Took pedal apart and cleaned similar to above post....A-OK now.

I also have had some problems with the foot pedal connection harness not giving good contact......motor would change directions but prop wouldn't spin. Cleaned up the contacts and everythings been working great for a while now.

Mine will do that when the battery is real low. Itr happened to me a few years ago and had to replace the control board on the foot control.

Mine had a similar problem earlier this summer. I couldn't adjust speeds.

I ended up taking the pedal apart. Then I took Q-tips soaked in IPA and cleaned all the metal connection points. That seemed to work. Otherwise check to see if there is small rocks or something that would prohibit you from getting a good conection.

I also suggest keeping the foot pedal in a dry compartment when not in use. It can only help even though the boards are coated in silicone.

I'd try that first because a new pedal runs almost as much as the entire motor itself.

------------------
Tonka Boy