• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best graph for the money

Scoot

Question

What's the best lcd graph for the money? I've got a buddy who'd like to spend between $150 and $400- a pretty big range. But what would people suggest? If he can get a unit for $200 that would do all he needs, he doesn't want to spend the extra money.
He'll be fishing primarily walleyes between 15 and 35 feet. Mostly rigging and jigging.
I'm a pretty big fan of Lowrance and Eagle, but maybe I'm missing out by not recommending something else to him. Suggestions???
Thanks guys,
Scoot

11 answers to this question

Garmin 240 is a nice one, cheap too. I believe around 3 bills. It has a fine resolution,built in flasher,sensitive enough to pick up thermoclines, youll even see your jig under the boat in deep water. Other brands with the same specs are much more expensive, upwards to a couple hundred more. Garmin does great warranty work if you should ever need.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I can vouch that the Eagle Fishmark 320 is an outstanding unit for the $$$$. The unit is so sensitive that if you jig under the cone of the transducer, you're able to see it on your graph.

Stephen

The Vexilar Edge goes for about $600.00 if I am looking at the correct model.

The Fishmark has 320x320 pixel display. That is better definition than the Garmin 240.

It does well on sunny days and is easy to operate.

I would buy another one , I have not field tested the other models listed but at the
320 came highly recomended by the people I spoke with at Cabelas . ( compared to others in the same price range).

I would imagine that both have a demo mode if you have a local sports store run them side by side in simulation mode !

I have the fishmark 320 also, and it IS a good unit for only $200, but after researching the Vex. edge, I am going to save my dollrs over the winter, I love the dual transducer option and it will be neat to get a side view of structure., but, while were at it, how does the Garmin 240 stack up to it?
thanks

Scoot,

I have to agree with Can-it-be-luck, the Garmin 240 is an exceelent choice for the money. I've had one for a couple years now and absolutely love it. I also use it for ice fishing, the built in flasher works great through the ice! Just my $.02

FisherMn

How about a Lowrance X-97. 3000 watts of power, 320 by 320 pixels. Great bottom read for those eyes.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The best bang for the buck for a sounder under $200 now is the Fishmark 320. If you asked me the same question last year I'd say the Garmin 240.
If your budget is for a $600 unit then thats a whole new ball game so lets keep it in perspective. Both units will show you a 32 oz jig in FOW easy, thats not new technology. Theres been units for the past 2 decades that will do the same thing. Resolution and pixel count has gone up with the LCR's but folks using paper graphs and videos have had the benefits of high definition and power(watts)for years.