• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tent heaters

Walleye_GFA

Question

Have not camped much into colder weather, anyone ahve any experience with keeping tents warm at night, or at least not dangerously cold ???

I am thinking about putting a bar heater or space heater on a couple milk crates and a board...

We have a big 20' x 10' with the vents at teh top taht you can close, but their is still a ton of ventalation with them closed...

Any ideas would be great... Im not going to go gently into winter this year, it will drag me kicking and screaming all the way !!!!

Wally

6 answers to this question

Mr.Heater Buddy. Be carefull with any heater in a tent for a long time. Keep vents and doors open a crack. Myself I would get a marmer bag or 2 if needed.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I sleep better knowing there isn't a heater running.
A cot to get you off the ground and a closed cell pad or self inflater for insulation between you and the cot. Theres bags that will keep you warm in temps well below zero. Use a buddy heater to warm the tent in the morning, makes it easier to get out of bed.

Depends on what your tent is made of....20' X 10'....is it a canvas wall tent?

ANY heater in a synthetic tent is dangerous, at best. CO poisoning or a flaming tent can be the result. A catalytic heater will help with the CO, but the flaming tent is still a possibility. Even if you get out, you'll be covered with melted plastic and those burns are very unpleasant.

The best suggestion I have seen here is to just use the proper sleeping equipment and perhaps use a buddy-type heater in the morning after you wake up to take the edge off.

I've slept comfortably in a tent in sub-zero weather...not what a person necessarily aims for, but it is very possible.

I use a catalytic heater in a two man tent when I'm winter camping. It's just me in there so I set it up with the least chance of melt down. I'll pre-heat the tent before I turn in for the night, and then turn it on again an hour or so before I get up. It helps to rid the tent of moisture that has accumulated during the night. You can also take your time getting out of the sleeping bag and getting dressed. The best way to keep warm while sleeping is a quality sleeping bag and a good thick foam pad to seperate you from the frozen tundra.

I vote for the Buddy also. Its advertised as being safe for indoor use because it doesn't emit any carbon monoxide.

It may not give off gas but there's alot of condensation. I recall as a kid that someone in our group used a coleman heater. I looked like a single-burner stove with a silver domed top.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.