• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice+Fishing reports from Stanchfield and Blue

5-6 times the people out there on sunday then I have ever seen on the lake. Everything I caught has been thrown back as is always the case, but I would guess that is not the norm.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• Gordie

• river rat316

• FishSystem

I still have not seen an honest 12 incher out there, for those that do not know, a 5 gallon bucket is 12" across, if the mouth or tail do not hang over the bucket then its not a 14"er, holding the mouth open and extended doesn't count either....lol

Welcome to how MN manages crappies.

This is the natural cycle of MN crappie lakes. A lake goes a while without lots of pressure, the fish get decent size, word gets out, the lake gets hammered until the fishery isn't attractive to anglers anymore, the lake goes without lots of pressure, the fish get decent size and the cycle continues.

It can't be denied. We've all seen it many times.

p.s. take a kid fishing, yours, a neighbor or any one willing to go....I've noticed they don't care about the size of the crappies nearly as much as we do!

If they do anything, I would rather see a slot on certain lakes, like 10-12" and one over 15" or something, I know people don't like that idea, but I would rather the chance at catching a trophy then taking a meal, and yes these lakes around here are capable of trophys, we used to catch 14"ers out of little elk when I was a kid, now that the masses pound it every winter your lucky if you see one over 10". Same thing with most of the other lakes, Blue, Green, Briggs chain, they are all capable, but when they get pounded like they do with no regard for size or future its not going to happen.

I have tryed not to post on this thread because i was hoping it would die soon, not the case. There is now 1' deep ruts heading onto the lake, and i am noticing the garbage starting to pile up out there, same old story different lake.

ps: to the meat pig in the tan dodge diesel that tells me its his 5th night out in a row, and he has filled out everynight the dnr is now the proud new owner of your lic.#

I agree with you riverrat that our panfish should have a certain slot but I think the slot should be you can only keep the ones in the 10-12 range and must release the rest with 1 over 15. This way the little ones don't get overharvested early and then once they get over 12 then they are good to have a chance to grow to trophy caliber. Oh and I agree that most lakes in this area have potential to grow big crappies given the chance except Blue!!! That lake can't produce anything over 12" and even that is a stretch but it can produce numbers of 10"-11" crappies when given the chance.

Ozzie, that is what I meant by the slot, 10-12" would be the keeper, lakes with a slot would be a reduced bag also, just thinking outloud here, would just be nice to be able to go to a couple lakes and have a chance at a trophy!

Why do people feel the need to always "limit" out on the crappies?? I mean why can't people enjoy catch and release. Maybe the pressure will go down once all the crappies are caught and the other species in the lake will flourish and word won't spread like wildfire like it did this time. Hopefully it doesn't end up being a lake that just has perch.

I was out there last weekend, its getting pretty beat up, deep ruts, havnt been out there since

Last night alot of traffic on South Stanchfield so a good path was made ,But this morning it looked like a lot of slop due to the rain we had and I didnt go by it this afternoon but it was raining when I left Pine City so I can only imagine what a slop hole it could be now. Sorry thats the best I got for conditions

went to s.stanch last night a little later, but got some. There is still a bit of snow, and somewhat slushy in the tracks, but sat on snow in the porti, and it wasn't bad. I got 4x4, but some didn't and I saw some small 2x trucks getting out. Alot of bouncing and jerking, but I didn't see anyone get stuck. Enough that I drove anywhere I wanted in my 4x truck.

Crappies were hard to find for me, lots of perch off bottom. Found a couple crappies right below the ice, and that was the trick. Moved to an open hole elsewhere, and picked 1 up below the ice. Just in the first five feet on the electronics. hard to see your bait at times, but I would see a fish come in up there, and then caught him. Gotta get used to fishing without seeing yor bait. picked up a couple more in another open hole, same thing. KEEP IT GLOWING (every 2 minutes or so).

How's the access out on south stanch? I know its gotta be sloppy but canyou still get out with the 4x4 truck?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

becareful there is current there with the creek and it is in full sun most of the day. Also lake is soft bottomed or muddy I know from duck hunting this lake.

I figured it was bad, left with the wheelhouse sun morning lots of water out there.maybe hit it up with the porty this weekend.one more Saturday with the wheelhouse isn't gonna happen dammit!

I figured it was bad, left with the wheelhouse sun morning lots of water out there.maybe hit it up with the porty this weekend.one more Saturday with the wheelhouse isn't gonna happen dammit!

Thanks to who ever pulled my brother out, because he got stuck pretty good he said. I will post how he did when I get the word. My brother said the landing is really sloppy and soft.

They just be ready to be pulled out. Stay on the packed trails other wise you will get stuck bad and need to be towed out. Just like my brother did. They ended up with their limit of crappies but they fished until like 2am or something crazy. He said it was a steady bite but just not a fast paced bite. My dad and his work crew are going out tonight and picking me up seeing I know how to get to the lake. I hope we do not sink.

so people driving trucks out today?

Their were guys with big wheeled house out on Friday and trucks on the ice in different areas too. Looked very slushy from the road

Report from last night. We caught a limit of 9-11 inch crappies. We caught a 12.5 incher and 13.25 that were released so they can spawn. I know littler crappies spawn to, but it is important to release some of the bigger ones. As for the ice goes it is rough with all the ruts. Stay on the packed trails or have a long tow strap so some one can pull you out. We did not get stuck. We were in 13-14 feet of water and as stated on here before it is a low light or after dark bite. Lindy Frosties in glow green were hot, but you needed to keep it glowing. We are having a fish fry for lunch.

Was out there last night and it had a big water hole so I stayed to left on the way out. I was to chicken to see how deep it was. As for fishing it was slow for us last night we caught 15 crappies tossed 5 little 7 inchers back. We fished from 445pm to 1115pm. We were fishing in 14-15 feet of water. I did lose one jig to something with some sharp teeth thinking it was a pike. Even are minnows were not swimming in the bucket. I did get my father inlaw out and taught him how to use his vexilar, but he was focused on the vex and not on the spring bobber. He missed a more then a few fish, but he is learning. It only took me 6 years to get him out fishing with me. He said he had a fun even though the fishing was slow. Most of the fish I caught were on a northland forage minnow fry in glow tipped with a waxie. Key keep it glowing. Sorry for taking so long to get the report up from last night.

Fished Blue this afternoon into the evening. Things have slowed down for me out there. The landing was a little beat up today on the north end, just a little. Very nice day to be on the ice. The pooch had a great time. He's sleeping good now. laugh

Nice to hear you working a future fishing buddy in M&M.

I have this next week off and would like to get out with my daughter. grin Not sure yet were to go.

CC will you being going out during the day or night? I think I will be on South Stanchfield tomorrow or hit one of my favorite lakes. I am waiting to see if guy I used to work is willing to punch holes all over Stanchfield in search of perch crappies and gills. He also is a member of this site. I will post my results on how I do. I will also keep my ears open on hot bites this week for you and your girl.

My goal is to get the wheelhouse out. Not sure yet if I can make that happen since my 4WD is still out. Trying to put a plan together for that. If I get it out there we will be staying out very late if not all night.

Thanks for the tips M&M. What does Stanchfeild look like as far as pulling a wheelhouse on? Never been out there but it could be a good option for the sleeper. Just don't want to try something if it don't look good for getting out there. Thanks and good luck.

once on the lake you would be ok if you stay on the packed trails. the access is getting soft but people are bring out wheel house.

Monster, thanks for the PM. Gonna try So. Stanch this Fri evening is it walkable with a portable? Don't know the lake structure and it's not easy finding a map. Even Lowrance is blank, but it is an '04 chip.

i will check it out and let you know tommorrow

Well I made it out on the lake with the truck O drove thur the water to get on the ice. Fishing was limited to 5 bites 4 perch 1 crappie 12 feet of water. It is muddy at the landing might be walking out from now on.