• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice+Fishing reports from Stanchfield and Blue

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• Gordie

• river rat316

• ozzie

Lots of trucks driving out on Blue, at least to the first point (from the North access). I measured 12" in a couple places, but I think there are some thinner spots yet. I'm waiting a few more days before driving out.

no chance you would catch me driving on Blue yet....end of the week maybe but if there is only 12 that means there are spots with 10 or less especially out in the middle where the swans and geese kept a spot open a little longer than the rest of the lake....

was out on blue yesterday. yes the spot out by the points was about 11" and people were driving around all over..i took the wheeler out and moved away from the crowd of wheel houses and full sized trucks bunched together. i'll take being a bit cold of driving out on the wheeler before driving anything larger for a while yet. very slow on the fishing. was out from 930 am -630 pm and didn't catch much.

@Marshall-- I wouldn't be hanging around guys in trucks/wheelhouses on 11 or 12 inches of ice either. I"d stay away or fish another lake, thats just stupid and not worth it in my book. It seems like there are more people the last 8-10 years or so, that are willing to take unwise risks (laziness or whatever), just to fish early or in the big group of people.It's not just their risks, but also can effect the safety of other people on the lake.

I was out on Friday late afternoon/evening on Blue lake. I went out of the north access. I was fishing just inside the first point in around 17-18 ft. I had 14 inches of ice with the top 1.5 being that frozen slush/snow junk. The Ice is in pretty good shape now. The fish lit up the locator pretty good after 6pm with mostly green and just abit of orange, but rarely red. After 7pm, I started seeing more orange and red. I did then finally pickup a 9 inch crappie, before 7pm with mostly green marks on the screen the crappies we got up the hole where 7-7.5 inchers.It was pretty slow even with the warmer temps, we stayed until about 8pm and called it a night.

Thanks for the follow up report. Maybe they'll be a little better for you next time. Keep workin em. smile

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time, 3:30 to 7:30 on blue last night. Away from the big groups in 22ft. From 6 until I left the bottom 5 ft showed fish just couldn't find what if anything they were hungary for. ended up with five crappies the largest a 9". A good 15" of ice, very little snow on top and cleats would be recommended.

Headed back to blue last night, to see if I could get a few to bite. Sorted through some crappies to get a meal of 9 inchers. The bite wasn't fast and furrious to say the least, but at least they were biting. Best luck after trying several baits was -plain red hook & small minnow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

On my way home last night from class one of my friends called me and wanted to show me how well he did on blue lake last night. He was fishing just to the west of the sunken island on the south east side of the lake. He had his and his sons limit of crappies from 9 to 11.25 inches and 3 nice walleyes. He said the bite was very good. He said he was on the edge of the sunken island he did not give me a depth. The biggest walleye was 21 inches and the other were around 19. He asked me to go with him tonight but I have class until 8.

kind of specific with the location. There'll be a mob there for sure now. Good to know that someones getting good action though.

Yes, Blue can be productive. Timing is key. For the record...the mob has allready been there shocked and I am sure they will be back. Let the small ones go so they can grow and please clean up your trash along with others who can't seem to do it. mad Good luck.

If anyone knows Blue, the crappies can be hit or miss. Its easy to catch a limit of small panfish, but to get the decent ones to bite is tricky! On blue, it not so much the location, as it is the jig size, color, presentation, and most definitely the fish demeanor that day! If you ask anyone that has fished Blue alot, you can go out one day and get your limit, and the next can't get a one to bite, but you put a camera down, and they are all over down there. I haven't been out to Blue yet this season, but plan to try to get out there next week sometime, and I will share my experience on here! Happy Fishing!

I have to say I agree with cc and fishergurl on this as I have used my camera on blue last winter and always saw fish. I saw fish that were bigger then the ones I was catching. Being at the right place at the right time is the key. There is a lot of unfished areas on blue that can be good. Most people head to the big groups of houses, but for get to look at great inside turns along the shore lines. There is some other structure that is not show on the maps out there or at least on the dnr lake maps. Good luck

the funny thing about the DNR lake map is that there are only 3 humps listed and the main hump that is straight out from the steep access isn't marked!

What hump out from the steep access? grin that one doesn't exist. there is a ton of structure on the lake that is not on the map, a couple big points, ditches, and other assorted things I have found over the years that all hold fish are no where on that map.

It makes me laugh when guys only fish like 3 spots on that lake. There is so many other places to fish on great structures. I guess it is ok that everyone thinks their is no other structure out there because it gives the rest of us other places to fish. Another thing I have notice on Blue lake is the walleyes like to follow the weed edges. Good Luck People. I think am headed out fishing as soon as I load up my truck.

Had some fun on Blue this morning. Picked up a few nice crappie's for breakfast and another eye. Big 9 incher. Lol Maybe he will be bigger next time. There down there, just don't seem to interested in what I got.

Going to begin some new searches on the lake in the A.M. Might get skunked but that's OK scouting can be fun as well.

Sorry to hear about that transducer M&M. I have lost many fish to that darn transducer getting in the way. I try pulling it out of the way but get lazy sometimes.

lol. Yeah the darn ducer in the hole. How do the fish always know to run to that side when they get up near the hole. Smart buggers. I am cutting up a DINGER (from my bass tackle) and making my own thin platics. Hope it will be hot with the later ice when the bugs start poppin out of the mud. Looks like a bug, with legs hanging. Drops REAL slow, which has got a few fish to charge and smack it. RED RED RED.

My plan changed yesterday seeing my brother inlaw wanted to go to lewis lake. If he would have let me go where I had planned we would have been on Blue Lake were I have done good in the past for gills and crappies, but it was ok to hit up lewis. We saw so much wildlife is was crazy. On 47 just after the Day turn off we came across over 40 pheasants and we also saw a couple flocks of turkeys as we took the back roads back to Princeton along with a few deer.

CC I might have a walleye spot for ya on another lake.

My PM is cleaned out now. Were are you thinking M&M? Not sure yet of weekend fishing plans but chasing eye's will be on the agenda. Thinking Milac's as I have not made it there yet this year. Need some 2013 pictures and Milac's is good for that anyway. grin

On 47 just after the Day turn off we came across over 40 pheasants and we also saw a couple flocks of turkeys as we took the back roads back to Princeton along with a few deer.

I drive that every week and this past fall was everyday and the ALL the wildlife would be a understatement. I saw more pheasants this past fall that the last 5 years combined and before a storm was coming it was nothing to see 100 birds a day in flocks of 20 or more.

I have come clse to hitting a few deer also, good thing my brakes are in good shape.

Agreed Gordie it is crazy!! I thought I was in South Dakota for a while.

Agreed Gordie it is crazy!! I thought I was in South Dakota for a while.
NOT ME not flat enough grin but it did bring back memories for the late 70s and early 80s in southern mn

Hey does anyone have any tips for blue? My buddy is home on leave and wanted to get some fishing in. I heard this was a good lake but if anyone has anything else PM me or post on here. Thanks

Tips for blue lake! Find yourself some unfished structure do not get suckered into the big groups. Weed lines can produce walleyes and crappies. Be on the move if you are not catching fish. Sorry for not having great info for you today but my buddy that fishes blue a lot has got the flu a long with his family. As soon as he is healthy I will have more info. I think if you look back on this thread you should be able to figure out a few good spots to try.

Thanks for joining the forum!

Hey does anyone have any tips for blue? My buddy is home on leave and wanted to get some fishing in. I heard this was a good lake but if anyone has anything else PM me or post on here. Thanks

sent ya a PM. I did alright last night.