• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Handheld GPS

Question

I was wondering if anyone can give input on inexpensive handheld for hunting. Thinking of buying the basic etrex but would like comments from owners.

Thanks,

12 answers to this question

I have the Garmin 76 and love it, easy to use and read. I have heard that the keys on the etrex are difficult to use as they are on the side.

I've got the basic etrex. It does everything I want, and once you play with it a while the buttons on the side are easy to use. I really like it for the price.

I got the Magellan Sportrak Pro. It is a nice little unit, and the built in-map is good for long road trips. As a bonus, it has a few of the larger lakes in its database. But they are not that detailed, only for reference. It also tells sun rise/set tables, the time, and best game/fish times. Overall, I love this unit, and at 149.99, it can't be beat. If you want to add more maps, get the 199.99 version with a 24mb database.

There are lots of past posts on this topic that'll give you a ton of info. Do a search for "gps" and sift through the info.
My .02- get one with mapping. You may not plan on using it too often, but it's really nice. Money well spent in my opinion. The Sportrack Pro is a nice one.
Scoot

I got to give a nod to the Lowrance Global map 100. (I think this runs about $200, so I don't thing that fits your description of inexpensive), but I can say that I have used mine hard for about 3 years now. I use it hunting, fishing, ice fishing, and sometimes driving. The built in map is pretty good and this is easy to use and very accurate. At least look at it...

chow

tennesean,
i see from your email you are a johnnie. cool so am i, class of '00. Did you ever fish any of the lakes on campus?

------------------
"Fishing is a condition of the mind in which one cannot possibly have a bad time."
idratherbefishing

Mr. Big eyes,
I think I can help. I sell GPS units at my job. I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about the Garmins and some of the magelians. Shoot me an e-mail if you need any advice.

[email protected]

Another basic ETrex owner here. And a satisfied one. All I use it for is to mark spots I've found fish on, label the name of the spot on a map and return to those spots, as well as taking coords off Online maps and plugging them into the unit to find spots I'd like to fish when planning a trip. Fantastic for ice fishing, especially on big water. You can get a connector cord that will allow you to download coordinated from mapping software right into the unit, but since I have a Macintosh, I can't use that feature.

Unit is waterproof, and the side buttons are very easy to use one-handed. They also allow you to keep you hand from in front of the screen, which is big enough but no bigger than that.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Another vote for the e-trex, I have had mine for a few years now, I find it is all I need, I also use Topo! mapping software, the computer cable accesory, and EasyGPS to manage waypoints. I can keep track of good fishing spots, navigate thru thick woods, find my campsite in the dark, and always find the car or boat landing after a day in the woods or on the water.

Garmin products have my vote. I own an e-trex and a GPS12. Garmin locater in the boat also. I once needed a new transducer for my 240 fish finder and the warranty had expired. The customer service department in Kansas told me to send it in no questions asked, or money paid. I've been happy and sold on the company since. can it be luck?

Idratherbefishing,

I sure do fish these lakes. It's easier than driving anywhere else and they are full of fish. Only problem is no good places to fish from shore, had to get a canoe. Also, not alot of pressure from others. I've got 2 more years here to take advantage of the scenery and fish. It's great!

John c/o 05