• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Modified v Jon boats?

Johnsonator

Question

I am considering selling my fishing boat and buying a 16' to 17' modified v jon boat like a war eagle or tracker grizzly. I want one because they are great for duck hunting and they look like they would be very easy to fish out of too. My question is does anyone have one and like it for a good all around boat or are they not worth it and I should not consider doing this? thanks

9 answers to this question

I've got a 1448 Crestliner with bench seats. Absolutely love it but if I were to upgrade I would go to a 16 ft with the side seats for a little more room. I use it for fishing only and is a great rig to fish out of. I built a deck in the front with a pedastl seat. I had a foot control but changed to a hand control trolling motor. Hand control is much better. I would stay with a 25 horse because I take it into the BWCA. It's light weght, pulls easy, gets back into the thick stuff, takes the waves fairly well but I do get a little wet when going accross the waves. Need to keep it directly into the waves.

Hello,
I just bought a 1988 14' Lowe with 25H Merc. It has a little V in the front of the hull other wise it's flat bottom. It has about a 70" beam so it's pretty stable. On the river it's great. I love to fish outa it, however, I have a custom casting deck that came with it. Otherwise... But I'm a bass fisherman so I gotta have my deck.

As for taking on the waves in the lakes she doesn't handle that well. But it's an 88 and the designs today are way better. So I go slow over waves. But if it's glass out, she flies. 28 mph with one person.

Check out Polar Kraft. That's the boat I want when I'm done with this. MV1675SE is the baby!

Hey now, not everyone can afford a River Pro.

Just my .02

I was wondering if a big mod v jon boat 17' would ride similar to like a lund alaskan 18'. The nice thing about the mod v is it is all aluminum flooring and tough not ot metion the price is alot cheaper that a lund. But I won't even consider if it is not something that is good for fishing too.

I have a 18ft. crestliner as you described with a 60hp. It's no duck boat though. I also have a fisher 16ft with jet on it, same hull design, but this one is my river boat and more of a duck boat. I love to fish out of both of them. They both get up on plane fast, they're stable, they don't get blown around as much as my buddie's boats due to their lower profile.

I dont think I would look at a jon boat if you plan on spending any amount of time on the lakes. Even the mod.V hull would not be real great for the waves a lake can throw at you. Maybe if you are just a fair weather fisherman, or just fish small lakes you could get buy with it but jon boats are not made for the waves like a v bow is.
B.W. eddys idea might be a good one to look at.
I have owned both a square bow and a Mod V jon boat and there is some difference between how they ride in the waves. The square bow is like taking a sheet of plywood and slapping it against the water. Rough ride up front and the waves will slow you down alot.
The Mod V will cut threw the waves alot better but in my boat you still dont get the same ride as a true v hull. The guy up front still gets a rough ride. I still get wet in back.
A couple of the things I really like about a jon boat is. #1 the room. In a low priced boat you get just as much floor space if not more than a V bow.
#2 the stabilty. This is mainly on the wider jon boats. My 1652mv I can stand on any couner of the boat and it hardly tips. Gunnals, transom, it does not matter. My 1436 is not as stable but is not to bad. (this one is for sale in the boat section)
Hope this helps.
Good luck fishing.

Mike W, Nice plug on your boat. That's too bad you still have it.

My boat is going in the shop already. The bearings are shot under the water pump and whatever else he finds. But I'd rather have a pro look at it then my dumb @ss messing it up even more.

I should've taken a small engine repair classes rather than networking classes.

Thanks Ebass. I will rent it if you need one while yours is repaired.
When are you heading back to the upper croix?
I have been catching a few nice eyes on pool 2 and might stay down there for awhile.

I don't know when now. I was planning last weekend, but ... well you know.

Maybe in a couple weeks. It shouldn't be too bad I don't think.

Pool-2 eh, there are some 10pd walters in there. My friend's cousin caught a 10lber right below the dam. This was a couple years ago, but I'm sure they are still around.

No need for rentals as I need to pay the repair cost. And I'm guessing it shouldn't be long to get her back ^gulp^ I hope smile.gif