• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

we have a place on it. Pretty much the last lake to freeze due to the depth every year. Usually freezes up a few days after Walker Bay on Leech. I never plan on venturing far until the week before Christmas in a normal year and then on foot or on snowmobile along shore to go to buddies spear house for Whitefish.

Great lake to not "start" ice fishing. Depth and springs equals sketchy ice.

Thanks for info. I've just moved to mn.. figuring out new lakes can be a challenge. Is it as productive hard water fishing as summer?

Kabekona should be ice fished with great caution, there is a reason you rarely see vehicles on this lake, as other poster stated the last lake to freeze, often some open water on the east end at christmas. massive schools of tullibies swarming just under the ice at various areas reduce the ice to next to nothing thru december and into january, be careful

Thanks for the information.. better to get info here than finding out the hard way. Was a bit more of a risk taker 15 years ago..now just want to play it safe and enjoy the fishing when the time is right.

I second leechlakes post there's some serious springs in Kabekona. I was one of the first to venture out there last year and had 9" of ice, when travel via wheeler we found a spring with little ice just skimming over it. I almost put my dad and wheeler in the drink thank goodness I was walking 50 yards in front of him when I found it. Give the bay some time to lock up tight before you venture out.

Good luck

MR

I'm sorry just read your post again are you referring to Leech lake-Kabekona Bay or Kabekona "lake"?

MR

Kabekona lake. I truely appreciate all the info. Seemed like a good walleye lake this summer. Caught lots of nice 20 to 28 inch fish.

• 8 years later...

Planning to ice fish this lake for the first time this week. With the polar vortex we just had i would assume it would have safe ice? After reading the previous threads it sounds like it can be a good lake with extra caution. I am planning on snowmobile/foot travel. Any pointers to where a guy can catch some whitefish/tullibees and potentially walleye on this lake? Thanks in advance!