• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winter Storage

Question

I was wondering for those of you who keep your boat Outside in MN, what do you cover the boat with besides your cover?
I heard people wrap their engines in 2-3 towels and then a plastic cover?

Just wondering how to keep the boat outsider in the harsh elements?

5 answers to this question

You need to be careful with things will trap moisture. I've known of guys who've wrapped their motors with gunny sacks and breathable canvas tarps. Make sure you've prepared your motor properly and you should be OK.

Two Cycle Engine Winter Prep:

• Drain and replace the lower gear lube.
  • Treat the gasoline with Sea-Foam, Sta-Bil, or another comparable type of fuel stabalizer and conditioner. (Be sure to run the motor long enough once the fuel has been treated so that the treated fuel reaches the carbs. This will save you from drianing the carbs, and also risking not getting all the fuel out and having gumming problems in some orfices)
  • Remove the spark plugs and spray a 5 second shot of Engine Fogging Oil into each cyclinder.
  • Turn the engine over for 3-5 seconds
  • Replace Spark Plugs
  • Remove starting battery, fully charge, and store in basement or other climate controlled area.

4 stroke Engines:

• Follow steps 1 and 2 as outlined above
  • Change crankcase oil.
  • Remove starting battery, fully charge, and store in basement or other climate controlled area.

UJ