• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports by Bear Paw Guide Service

bearpawguides

Went to a new area tonight and had much better results! First off I'd like to say we did gain about another inch of ice, on the other hand walking to this new area I found a spot of ice that had only roughly 1-2''. It was a 45 yard circle of

thin ice, if I hadn't been checking constantly with my chisel things could have gone sour quick(where I set the house up I was on 7''). Thats why it's good to be safe this time of year and always check the ice as you walk. Back to the fishing, I made a solo trip tonight and was rewarded with 23 walleyes brought up the hole, as well as lots of misses. When the school would come through it got pretty hectic and couldn't barely manage two rods. The fish definately wanted it jigging, with the lures of choice being the lindy flyer and the macho minnow in the rainbow color(tipped with a minnow head). They were still biting as I was leaving, wish we had 14'' of ice I'd put a sleeper on it.

full-3179-26846-nov26eye.jpg

full-3179-26847-nov26walleyelimit.jpg

The ice on the lake in front of the DNR access is fine. In the river itself there is only about 2'', I would not walk out of the river it's not safe enough. Your best bet would be to park where you normally would for open water on the west access. Than walk behind (west)the DNR hatchery and theres a 4-wheeler trail that goes to the lake. It's where I typically walk out of if I fish in that area. Once again it is crucial to be safe and constantly check the ice.

The mouth of the river IS the most dangerous place on the lake. Currents and old rock break waters under the ice that historically have been a death trap of bad ice around them. Not to mention water flowing from the bog and backwaters does not freeze as well as lake ice. I strongly recommend staying away from the mouth of the river.

I see Tyler and I posted about the same time. As Tyler said stay north of the mouth if you want to access there. I will say one thing; ever notice locals never access from the mouth of the river?

Do you guys think most of the resorts will allow people to launch out of their accesses by the weekend? I have no problem paying $10 to launch on ice that's a bit more solid.

I'm thinking yes to foot travel but that is just my hunch. Contact, Rogers Resort, Morts Dock, JRs, Upper Red Lake Adventures, Westwinds, Hillmans Resort and Beacon Harbor Resort directly to find out.

(I think I got everybody)

Amazing what a differance a day can make. Tried the same spot again tonight and only landed two. Kind of a shock after last nights bite. Thats fishing though, I'll try the area tomorrow once more and see if it produces again.

Dad made it out on the ice with me this evening, he had a goal to bring home his 4 fish and we did just that. The fishing was nothing like I had the other day but we still managed to ice 9 walleyes and dad brought home his 4 fish. We were s

et up in 8 ft tonight a bit deeper than I have been going. We didn't mark a lot of fish but the fish we did mark came in and hit it like a train. Lure choice didn't seem to matter. Ice varied from 6-10'' in the spots I checked.

full-3179-26954-pb280059.jpg

Living the dream, The bite has been pretty spotty during the day with a fish here and there. The evening bite has been the best action for me, right around 4:30-5:30pm. But if a guy had a hard house overnight I bet you'd get random fish all night as well.

As for a report. The wife and I fished tonight in 9 FoW and we brought 7 walleyes up the hole. We were sitting on about 9'' of ice where we had the portable. We were using flyers and buckshots tipped with minnow heads.

full-3179-27053-audreyeye.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight was definately a fun night of fishing! Headed out a little bit deeper over some scattered rocks and had just a blast. Countless doubles, fish chasing baits 4 ft off the bottom , just nuts! After landing a few fish on my usual lures I decided to start playing around with lures. A silver chubby darter was the hottest bait I tried. Definately some fast action fishing when you dont need to bait your hook. The ice ranged from 9-13'' where I drilled my holes and I was fishing in about 10 ft of water. For now we have the houses In shallow just off the main break. Most everyone are still getting limits, but once the ice get a little thicker/safer we'll be heading out.

full-3179-27614-darter.jpg

full-3179-27615-dec132012sunset.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had another great night on the lake this evening. Tonight's hot lure was the perch/ chartreuse ratln flyer. I was set up in 11 feet and was sitting on 14" of ice. I kept my 4 marble eyes and was even rewarded with a very nice jumbo perch, biggest I've seen in a while.

full-3179-27998-marbleeyesnjumbo.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from our yearly trip to Red Lake. As always Steve and Tyler were great! The fishing was good, but slowed by the wind. Thanks Steve and Tyer for everything, cant wait to do it again next year!! The fish were all very quality fish. Wind was very horrible the last 24 hours, no one can control the weather, but the trip was a great time as expected!!!

Yes indeed, another great year ice fishing with Bear Paw Guide service and Tyler and Steve put us on fish the first day and when the bite died down they were kind enough to move us on a fresh bite. Can't say enough about that outfit. Tipup, it was a blast as usual and can't wait until next year to do it all again. Red Lake, one of my favorite places in the World......

• 2 weeks later...

Went up this past weekend and had a 5 man sleeper.

All I can tell you is that the things that I had heard about Bear Paw guide service was dead on.

From the time that we got our gear in the house, until the time we left was nothing short of 5 star. We caught fish all times of the day. Steve and Tyler even let us jump from house to house to fish when they were not biting in the sleeper house. It didnt seem to matter what house we were in, the fish were there and ready to bite.

I am telling you that if you want to talk to people that are passionate about fishing, hunting and making sure you have what you need to make your trip unbelievalbe, Bear Paws is the serice to use.

ps. Tyler... thanks for the visit Saturday Evening.. what a great time. I cant wait to shoot some ducks with you this Fall.

• 4 months later...

The fishing on Red is still very good! Covering water and picking away at the active fish during the mid day either pulling cranks or spinners has been the best bet to put walleye in the boat. The 4-8 ft depths has been good. Towards evening key on the areas that you caught the most fish trolling and anchor up on the break and pitch jigs and/or bobbers. Evening has been the best bite hands down. We are also starting to see some of the deep water stuff starting to turn on a bit. The crappies are still biting and with the water temp along the North shore being 71 degrees in the shallows they are anxiously trying to finish up there spawn. I took the whole family out last night for a couple hours. We strictly targeted crappies and ended up catching and releasing 24 of them. Of the 24 that were caught 6 were smaller in the 7-10'' range, the rest were your typical 12-15''s. Nice to see those smaller ones! Just a reminder that the walleye slot will move to 20-26" tomorrow!

full-3179-34172-8586_586158271406426_236

full-3179-34173-998258_586156631406590_1

full-3179-34174-1001792_586157318073188_

• 4 months later...

full-3179-38261-duckhuntingsunrise.jpg

full-3179-38262-spenceducks.jpg

With the wind blowing the way it has been this fall the fishing has been slow. If we do get a few days of some calmer or East winds the fish are present and they are shallow and hungry. Pulling spinners in a gold or perch pattern has been doing great when the water clears a bit. The duck hunting has been good all season with the numbers dropping a bit as of lately but should increase if we get a push of new birds.

• 3 weeks later...

The weather man is forcasting some pretty warm weather in the 40's but as of now we are locked as far as the eye can see here along the East shore!

full-3179-38926-1424574_654234387932147_

After watching the ice closely for a while now and foreseeing the upcoming forcast, I figured it's a go now or wait until this warm stretch is over. A buddy of mine spencer came up and carefully we chiseled our way checking ice to the main break. We brought along life jackets, a rope and picks just in case of an emergancy. There was anywhere from 5'' of ice near shore and some places with barely 3'' towards the break out deep. The ice is very very soft with todays warm weather, and will only get worse and worse as this week goes on.So like I said I would wait to come up until you start hearing of some more promising ice conditions. Starting Monday the weather men are talking some colder weather and things will harden back up. Remember no ice is safe and we took extreme precautions. full-3179-38998-1461195_613506002039056_

• 2 months later...

Bear Paw. Did you just take that video? I am thinking about taking a trip up there. Waiting for the bite to pick up. Thanks for the info and nice report

Thanks again to Bear Paw. We had a great time. If anyone out there is looking for someone to go through. We recommend Steve and Tyler. Again thanks, we had a blast, Jason and Kris.

• 2 weeks later...