• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports and Ice Updates by Ryan Peterson's Guiding

Took a littlie walk out today on the south end as far as the eye can see Winnie is froze over, did not go far but did find 3 inches of ice near shore, wont be long now!full-26625-26833-photo(30).jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ryan p

• MJ1657

• Radar Randy

• thatoneguy

Lake Winnie from what I have checked has 5 inches Iam sure there are spots with less and some with alittle more, so for myself I am staying on dry ground until the next cold snap, after that we should be looking good.

Did Winni open back up? Today's satellite image appears that way, but it might just be that there is no snow on the ice, so it looks like dark water.

Please let us know.

Deet I was looking at that to, I can say on the south end things are still iced up as far as I can see, towards the middle if there is ice its iffy at best now. I am going to do some checking today will let you know my findings.

We are now finding 6 to 8 inches of ice on the south end. I still would use caution as most of us who have checked things out are finding different results, not far off shore from the sugar lake inlet on the west side one guy found 1.5 inches another I heard was from Tamarac Bay area and they have 5 to 6 inches. Check with the resorts as they know best where a person can go. On the south end from what I have seen the ice looks good and we should see wheeler traffic this weekend.

Between getting houses staged and checking ice finally got a chance to fish for a couple hours today. We started in 24 fow found a few small eyes and some decent perch, ended up moving up a little to 20 fow with close to the same results perch and a couple better eyes, all came off of jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head. The ice is looking really good for now but I would still stay within reason we went out to the first set of bars and I must say if one does not watch where they are going they could have a bad day with one a few few trap doors I seen. For me I will be fishing the shoreline break in closer till the cracks freeze back up. Be sure to check with the resorts before heading out. Here is Justin with a decent Winnie walleye. full-26625-27347-photo(31).jpg

full-26625-27348-photo(32).jpg

After todays check on the south end of the lake, the ice is looking really good I could not find nothing less then 8 inches. We got very little snow, tiny puffs amoung the black ice. Denny's is now letting ATVs out be sure to stop for a full report. Tomorrow there will be some fishing!

The ice looks really good right now I am finding anywhere from 8 to 10 inches on the southeast corner of the lake with lots of people running wheelers.

The fishing has been good for walleyes in 20 to 28 fow glow colors have been working best due to the fact the lake is still a little stained, I am sure it will start to clear up any day. Perch fishing on the other hand has been alittle on the slow side but we are seeing a few nice ones coming in, once the lake clears the perch are going to bite good!

On Lake Winnie we are finding 9 to 10 inches of good ice, ATVs and snowmobiles are running all over. The walleye fishing has been good out on the main lake structure in 20 to 28 fow jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head have been working best. Perch fishing has been a little on the slow side this week although we did see a little pick up on the perch fishing Friday. Ryan Peterson

Ryan P,

Thinking about coming up tomorrow for a day of fishing.

What is the best/safest place to get out on foot without having to venture out too far?

Not familiar with the lake but do have a GPS device.

Trying to target walleyed and Jumbos.

Your advice and tips would be great.

Thanks

LBK

We did get a decent little snow, haven't been out on winnie, but a smaller local lake had water standing and the water coming up through the drill holes from the weight of the snow.

Would have got report up sooner but been busy getting houses out and road ready, we have 11 to 12 inches of good ice on the southeast end, did get 6 inches of snow but very little slush as of now. Fishing has been good in 18 to 28 fow for both walleyes, pike, and perch fishing has pick up some over the last few days.

On the south end of Lake Winnie we are finding right around a foot of ice, there has been some light stuff (4000lbs or less)driving out and half tons or less will be ok on Dec 26th. Fishing had been good up to yesterday for both walleye and perch from 18 to 28fow either on the breakline or mid lake bars and humps. Have a great Christmas Ryan Peterson!

Where would be the best place to head out of this weekend? No wheeler or sled just my 1/2 ton. Oh, and I drive slowly on ice, because I have seen what happens to accesses when you fly around on a lake.

Merry Christmas!

Bigsam, Denny's Resort has marked roads to the first set of bars and up the east side break line a ways, stop in the lodge for a full report, as far as public access I would not use Richard Townsite or Trappers Landing at this point they have flaged it off for it froze up later and its thin. Not sure of any other resorts letting people out this weekend.

Just got home from my first (hopefully first of many) trip to Winnie. My son and I had a couple days to kill and wanted to do some fishing on something other than the local lakes. First I wanted to thank Ryan Peterson for renting my son and I a house on short notice. Nice place, just the essentials- it was warm and on some fish, and most importantly a place that made some fantastic memories for me and my son. We only had time for a quick 24hr trip and Ryan made it worth it! We got tons of perch, and with some sorting got 12 for the bucket. Also 2 walleyes overnight 1 eater, and one a little bigger that had to go back........( we should have had quite a few eyes but I shamefully missed more than I care to mention on the rattle reels going off all night!) Gotta love not getting any sleep because the rattles keep going off! Thanks again Ryan!

Thanks again for staying and glad to hear you both had a good time. Denny's is letting half tons out and want be to much longer on bigger trucks we have around 14 inches of ice where we have been placing houses and travel is good. Fishing has been good for walleye perch and pike over the last few days and alot of people doing well today best depths have been any where from 16 to 24 fow.

Happy New Year from Lake Winnie! Fishing has been good over the last week, lots of slot walleyes along with many eaters coming in to. Dead sticks have been working best although there are times when you can get them to hit a jigging spoon tipped with a minnow head. Perch fishing has been ok some nice ones being caught. Ice is right around 14 inches. Good luck Ryan.

Denny's on Winnie was open this past Sunday. We had 15 inches and a ton of pickups out there

Fishing on Big Lake Winnie has been good walleyes are biting good any where from 14 to 28 fow depending where on the lake you are fishing them, jigging spoons tipped with a minnow heaad have been working best. Perch bite has been ok better on sunny days, the best depths for perch have been 20 to 30 fow. The ice is right around 14 inches in most places even though its been cold its not making ice very fast.

A few of us will be heading out tomorrow. Are the humps a good start or does anyone know if the bite has been better on the bars or shoreline structure? Also, has there been much of a day walleye bite or has that been mostly late afternoon? Good luck all and thanks for the info.

Hi Ryan i was wondering if u had any tullibie reports? I know its a bit early for them but i might be up in that area in 2 weeks. Thanks

There has been a good bite all over the lake for walleye some days it's 3 in the afternoon other days been getting them one here one there through out the day then a little run at dark. Tullibie bite has been ok for the people chasing them we have caught a few fishing eyes out on the edge of structure out aways hope that helps. Denny's Resort now has a plowed road to Moxies along with one road running to the bars.

Walleye fishing has slowed over the last week or since the warm air left and the cold air returned, the people still catching a few have been fishing 15 to 18 fow on the breaklines or off the edges of the bars and humps, more slot fish being caught then keeper size fish. Pike fishing remains good at alot of depths, we are seeing many nice pike coming in to the cleaning house. Perch have been biting but you have to short through the small ones and some houses and spots are doing a little better then others but nothing gangbusters yet on the perch, if you work at it you should get enough for and nice meal or 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing over the last week has improved, walleye bite is going good in 15 to 18 fow along the east side breakline jigging spoons with a minnow head have been working best. Perch bite has been ok, they are biting good but getting decent numbers of big ones has been the problem. Pike fishing has also remained strong in 15 to 24 fow. Denny's has plowed roads up to Moxies and travel off road is still good. Ryan

• 1 month later...

Ryan,

Me and my girlfriend had a great time on the ice last weekend.

Some of the best Perch fishing that I had. I will be up real soon for some pan fishing. Tell June-bug, I will have the girlfriend make him some more baked goods!