• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

High school hockey talk! Class A Version.

ANYFISH2

With no NHL yet, I intend on giving my hockey attention to my local high school Little Falls. As well as try to keep tabs on the many other outstate high school programs, particularly class A teams.

Please post any observations and updates of your local teams here. Also if you ordinarily don't attend high school hockey games, take a night night and check it out, not a much more entertaining high school sport.

My first observation of the year is from the L.F. vs Hibbing game tonight. A season opener between two of the top 10 class A teams in the state. Little Falls with the slight upset tonight winning 3-0. Hibbing is a nice team with a couple stellar player particularly Johnson. Unfortunatly Johnson missed most of the game to a misconduct. Little Falls did not look to be the most "skilled" team Little Falls has iceed but sure played physical and has an outstanding goltender in Stumpf as well as a nice defensive core. They will need to find their offensive stride as the year goes on.

I look forward to any observations you all provide.

No observations yet, but wanted to let you know that there is a MN Hockey App for smart phones that is available for free that allows you to track all scores, games, stats, etc.

Thanks bartman.

There hasn't been much talk about high school sports here on HSO in the past, I am trying to get that conversation going and maybe get some more folks to support or att take a look at the great sporting events in our own communities.

I also watch some other sites devoted to high school hockey, often though they tend to sway to metro team chat or many just down play class A as the "JV" class. I hope some can provide observations that will provide some fresh banter about high school hockey.

Last weekend I went to the scrimmage fest in Buffalo and watched Edina, Andover, Buffalo, and Wayzata. Edina looked good, but I wasn't able to pick out any stars.

Didn't have time to see Crookston, Hopkins, Lakeville South, or the others play.

• 3 weeks later...

ANYFISH2 we can talk about it all we want but it boils down to Little Falls, Fergus Falls and Alexandria in that section. You'd think Detroit Lakes/Perham which is the dumbest merger I've ever seen when 24 miles away is a team that doesn't have a full roster of skaters, could be a threat but they just aren't. If you are a team under 8,000 people in your town your odds are poor. 2 very good friends of mine coach Alexandria and I think they think they are the team to beat this year coming out of that section. Injuries, etc. can change a team in a hurry and maybe at the wrong time of the year. I should start following High School hockey again more, I miss it for sure.

Musky buck, I think I agree with your top 3 in section 6, maybe even adding Apollo in the mix.

After the LF vs. Alex game tuesday I fear Little falls is a little weaker than I first thought. Although they beat Alex and are 5-0, Alex out played Little Falls in the 1st and 3rd period. Little falls is winning on a very good goalie and a physical presence. Offensively, they really need to continue to improve.

Musky, Do you know if Wadena still ices a team, or did they disperse to other programs? I haven't look up the entire section assignments this season for any teams dropping out. I haven't heard anything about them this year or if they got a new arena built after the tornado a few years ago.

Good to hear, Myself, and I think I can safely say the hockey community here in Little Falls have always hadthe upmost respect for the Wadena-Deer Creek team,association, and community.

I asked because it sound as though they may have lost some youth to Park Rapids.

Ditto anyfish glad I came back here to read up, we also have full respect for Little Falls in WDC land, not to mention my brother in law is best friends with LF head coach and announces games for 92.1FM, we always had great games, we were so happy when they got their indoor ice years ago, I fear for you to a touch about the Flyers, I watched them and Princeton last Friday night, my advice to anyone playing LF is don't put them on the power play, they looked really good there but not so much in 5 on 5, then again with a 1 game sample what do I really know, I think no 1 is really separating themselves from the top of the heap, game was at Princeton and pretty sloppy in a way, very very few quality chances for either team, some really bizarre officiating, and they'll meet again later in the year at LF. I really wanted Perham to go pair up with WDC instead of Detroit Lakes, but oh well, just WDC their numbers are pretty lean at nearly all levels, the tornado thing sent quite a few guys open enrollin or whatever. WDC has lost several really good players over the years 2 of them to Brainerd, 1 to Cloquet, and a few to juniors, that really kills the small town, we they invest a lot into them only to realize you'll get 0 or so they think exposure in WDC or other places because of who they play or lack of who they schedule, anyway, you go with what you got. I need to follow HS hockey a bit better, it's fun to watch for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Well over the holidays I just haven't made it to any games. From second hand reports though Little Falls has handled inferior teams well. But allowing 3 goals to hutch and being shutout by Mound-westonka is a little troubling. Looking forward to Sat. against Hermantown.

Muskie Buck, Your brother-in-law and James do a fantastic job on the radio. Best of luck to your local teams up there (except when playing L.F.).