• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish on the ICE! (pic)

Spenser

The longer I have been around it just seems to be getting worse and worse over my almost 50 years, along with our burgeoning nanny police state. How many times have those of us who like to get out on early ice been hassled by those who just can't get their mind around the concept of individual responsibility?

AMEN!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Random guy

• Chad Holst

• CANOPY SAM

• maxpower117

than drive between two semi's with a socker mom in her "safe mini van" in front of me on I94 in route to said lake.

Now I have learned the hard way to respect the ice but that situation on I94 scares the he// out of me!

One good thing about Tyler being the first guy on the ice is he is young and strong, I have grown to old and fat to crawl out anymore. smirk

... Is it really worth the publicity to put other peoples lives at risk.... that's what you do when you post something like this..

Putting a lot of unexperienced anglers at risk....

A chisel thru the ice is a sign to turn back... eek

Northdrifter, these guys didn't put other peoples' lives at risk. LOL. What kind of baloney is that?

I see videos on youtube of skateboarders or other extreme sports enthusiasts (race car drivers? NFL football players? the list is endless) doing things that, if I was to do it, would most certainly either kill or maim myself almost instantly. They aren't putting my life at risk at all.

Geez, I wonder how you propose anyone get a picture approved by the nanny/police to put on the internet. Are you on the safety committee? How often do they meet? Is there a website we can use to submit pics for approval before putting on the interwebz?

Fully have to disagree with you on that one aanderud. If they would have fallen through, there would have had to have been people namely first responders, sheriff deputies, DNR personel, etc. that would have had to go out and try to either get them out alive or retrieve the bodies. Things like that don't just effect the person that does them, it has a ripple effect on many, many other people. It is not as if you sign a waiver at the lakeshore that says "if I fall through, don't come and get me". They wouldn't be any more immune to the dangers of going out on thin ice than the guys that went out there to begin with.

Fully have to disagree with you on that one aanderud. If they would have fallen through, there would have had to have been people namely first responders, sheriff deputies, DNR personel, etc. that would have had to go out and try to either get them out alive or retrieve the bodies.

You can disagree but the facts are facts. The prior poster said that by posting a pic they are putting other lives at risk (specifically, he mentioned other fishermen). Neither he nor you (with your first responder bit) are correct. The act of posting that pic did NOT put any lives at risk. It's a picture on the internet. Pictures don't kill people. It doesn't hurt anyone. They're not putting lives at risk any more than if someone else on the internet posts a pic of something they did that's dangerous.

This isn't a nanny state where we need to start censoring what we put on the internet. If you want that, move to China.

If they had actually needed first responders, you might have a leg to stand on. The posting of the pic would still not be the culprit, however.

So basically -- to summarize, you're both wrong.

So if there is 3 feet of ice and they break through then these same people will have to try to save them so you should never go on any ice or ever take any pictures of anyone on the ice so you do not put them in danger. Sounds odd but the logic does not make sense to me. We do not live in a bubble and our lives are full of choices. Thats why we call it the USA

If they had actually needed first responders, you might have a leg to stand on.

Not be a wise butt...but Tyler is our first responder. laugh

Give it a break allready guys,there's allready been multiple postings saying almost the same exact thing. We allready know that many guys think this was stupid and dangerous, my wife still tells me that when there's 12'' of ice! LOL!! I never listen to her,just like anybody that wants to go early ice fishing isn't gonna listen to you.

I was a tad jealous of these guys. But more upset too. If that makes sense. Im in my mid forties and things like this get me cranky. Everyone needs to start fishing, transition periods always get everyone's goat. If I didn't have a stupid job i'd be fishing the lake everyday.

.... Let's just fish... Got a few people fired up with that comment...

Some people just dont get what the comment was getting at... probably be the people you read about...

Other than that... When the chisel don't go through on the first throw... I'll be right out there with the rest of the first ice people...

Good Fishing..!!

Settle down and relax... Fish...

If i cant fish (d@mn you guys up north) at least i can banter with a few of you, ill still buy the beer when i come up)

Not that you asked, but heres my take on it:

Some people can't seem to grasp the concept that when you live in a free country, you are going to weigh risk over freedom or in this case freedom over risk. We do it everyday.

Fathers and mothers risk there childrens lives everyday for the freedom to drive them in a car. (your family is more likely to die in a car accident this year than any other single risk they will face this year).

We risk our short term safety for long term rewards. (riding a bike, for entertainment or staying healthy or travel)

We risk our long term safety for short term rewards. (eating dump food from McD's so we dont have to make supper, later finding out we have to have a heart bi-pass)

My point is, the so called police state/nanny state is accurate when they say XYZ may hurt you, XYZ may be bad for your health or XZY may be dangerous. The problem is, they are still WRONG. They can warn me all they want but it is up to me to decide what i am willing to risk for what ever perceived reward i may or may not get. They feel they have the right to control what i risk, if they can show it risks others around me... That sounds ok..but its still WRONG, as they then use this to justify stepping into every aspect of our risk/reward lives.

We have went from making it the LAW that kids wear helemts when riding bikes to thinking we should "immediately delete" a picture of someone excersing there right to risk/reward by walking on thin ice. If you dont believe this really is happening look no further than this post.

Its hard to believe that some people think they should control others risk/reward freedoms. Shoot..more than that now someone here suggested that we not only ban walking on thin ice, not educate about thin ice...we simply should ban the pictures and posts that talk about someone excersing there own freedom to choose risk/reward! Blah.

As far as the argument that when one person risks something, it may effect others. Very noble sounding! (man falls through the ice, rescue team is risked..) Yep, you are right. There is no argument. The rescuer has chosen to risk for the rewards of rescuing. Whats your point? That too is the price that the rescue team (no one forced them to be a rescue aid)pays for being in a FREE risk/reward country. We all pay the price for everyones risks... i believe they call that a society. They have other societies acrossed the pond or south of the river if you don't like our risks.

If no one drives, then we dont need highway patrol. If we didnt need highway patrol, then no highway patrol man would ever be hurt on the job. YOU risk his life by choosing the rewards of highway travel. GOOD FOR YOU BUD, keep excersing your rights to risk/reward freedom. (you dont really think we should ban pictures of cars now, do you?)

I will not tell you to stop posting this garbage here, as it is your right to RISK sounding like an 1d1ot at the REWARD of us laughing at you.

Attended a funeral a couple years back for a young man that was part of our Wed. night fishing legue, that he and his mother fished together. His wheeler fell through during early ice, and he never came up. I happened to be driving past the lake as the chopper set down, watched for 15 minutes as divers slipped into the hole looking, finally I saw them pull a body up and it went on the hover craft, EMT's were giving CPR all the way accross the lake. I watched all of this through binoculars never knowing who it was.

Been to quiet a few funerals but that was one of the sadest, Tyler wasn't doing anything wrong, there was plenty of ice, just took the wrong path back to landing.

Since then I have taken a whole different approach to early ice.

Thank you for sharing that experience. Puts things in perspective. This string of posts has been sidetracked by some trying to politicize censorship or personal responsibility or whatever but when something actually happens to you or someone you know, it changes you forever. Some people may be over zealous in criticizing others for posting their fishing success on early ice conditions, but their point is, hey.... its not safe out there yet. It sounds like Red Lake has more ice right now than most of the state but, for the sake of the ones that love you, wait until its safer. I have a right to say that, sirlips, just like you have a right to express your opinion. thanks

The only thing that ticks me off is the bragging with little to no valuable content.

All it said is that I'm on the ice, you're not and good for me. And stay off the ice because it isn't safe.

Too much of this stuff on these sites. Very little valuable content. For me this thread was worthless.

All it said is that I'm on the ice, you're not and good for me. And stay off the ice because it isn't safe.

+1

Yah, i hear yah.. A post that includes ice conditions, fishing depths, number of fish caught, and a picture of the experience...All on a fishing forum. Yep...no valuable content at all wink

Wouldnt a post calling another post useless be..usel...Ah, nevermind.

CANT WAIT FOR THE URL TRIP!

Higgins, i agree.

Here is a good video from the "man" on hypothermia. Take a look and remember the basic survival techniques with early ice.

Yah, i hear yah.. A post that includes ice conditions, fishing depths, number of fish caught, and a picture of the experience...All on a fishing forum. Yep...no valuable content at all wink

Wouldnt a post calling another post useless be..usel...Ah, nevermind.

+1

I have been ice fishing for two weekends but I haven't posted any reports because I don't want the forum police to lecture me.

I think a lot of guys on here need to learn how to watch their own bobber.

"I think a lot of guys on here need to learn how to watch their own bobber"

It's been a while since I actually laughed out loud reading a fishing and hunting forum...lots of smiles but I haven't actually laughed so loud that my wife says whats so funny?? Thanks feathers...that is good stuff.