• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish on the ICE! (pic)

Spenser

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Random guy

• Chad Holst

• CANOPY SAM

• maxpower117

Quote:
Then you climb out, get to shore, pull off your boots and socks to try and warm up, and an even more excruciating pain comes back as you restore just a little bit of blood flow back to your extremities. I would compare the feeling to having your feet, ankles, and lower extremities in a full body vice, cranking down to a degree that will begin to crush bone.

This alone can kill you. If that cold blood reaches your heart, you're dead.

The only time I fell through the ice was about ten years ago and I was pheasant hunting on a cattail marsh with a river running through the center. It was mid-December and I figured that everything would be frozen pretty good. I was following pheasant tracks and they kept flushing ahead of me and flying to the center. The dog was intent upon following the tracks and like a fool, I kept following her until the ice suddenly gave away. The water was only about 4 ft. deep but I sunk into loon do-do up to my chest. Luckily there was a cattail clump withing arms reach. I placed my shotgun in the middle of the clump and grabbed some of the reeds that were within range. After several minutes of contortions, I was able to pull myself up on the ice shelf. I grabbed my gun and crawled until I saw my foot prints and then stood up. I walked carefully back re-tracing my footsteps all the way back to the vehicle. It was about 30 degrees out so not extemely cold but my clothes were all frozen stiff. I unlocked the door and stripped off all my clothes except for the upper wear and drove naked from the waist all the way from Benson, Mn. to the cities with the heater on full blast. Thank God I wasn't stopped or I would have had some explaining to do. grin That was enough for me I am very careful around the ice now. No pheasant or walleye is worth taking a chance.

I've never fallen through the ice, but I did step into a hole that was covered in slush. Went in all the way past my knee. That's nothing compared to some of the stories already told, but it sure was enough for me. And yeah, when that water hits you, it just paralyzes you. Luckily I had several foot warmers I was able to put in my boot, so at least my foot wouldn't freeze on the long walk back to shore. So when it comes to early ice, I'm a follower, not a leader! If it's not at least 5 inches thick, I'm not walking out there! This thread probably should have been deleted as soon as it came up.

I've been through the ice twice. The first time in high shool on a meto lake, went in at a metro lake over my head, luckily we just had to back up 50 ft to my buddies house. What i rember was how dark the water was, and how everything hurt. that cured my early ice obsession.

the second time i went in 5 ft of water late ice on a backwater. That was worse because 3 of us had a long walk back to the truck. We drove one guy to the ER to be treated for hypothermia. If we hadn't had lifejackets, ropes, extra clothes, etc. it could have been a more tragic outcome.

The truth is, as some learn every year, no ice, early, late, or in between, is ever safe. Use your head, wear an inflatable jacket, never alone.

JB, I respectfully disagree.

I'm sure you are a good man and have great intentions so please do not take this as a personal attack, but rather an attack on the attitudes alot of people in our country have takin to...

"this thread should have been deleted as soon as it came up"??

Why should the thread be deleted right away?

I feel that this new american attitude of hiding the truth from the dumb people, to protect them from what they may think is... Wrong, un-american and shows why we have so many issues today.

IMO:

1st, great post, it's good to be reminded that there are dumb people out there doing dumb things.I have also done some pretty stupid things in the past, and it's nice to be able to read about someone else doing it, rather than doing it myself.

2nd, Conversations are a great way to teach, and this post started a good discussion about ice and safety.

3rd, Like others said, it gets the juices flowing. Its ALMOST hard water walleye time!

Back to my point. I 100% disagree with sensoring. We learn the most from the things some would have sensored. Although the intentions are to protect, it has the opposite effect.

Lets take this thread for example. For arguments sake lets say we did delete this as soon as it was posted... I'm guessing the reason would be to stop people from thinking that the ice is safe and them hurting themselves. Very noble reasoning. (Also known as hidding the truth from dumb people to stop them from doing dumb things) Ok... now imagine that these "dumb people" can atleast read, after all they had to read the original post. Now imagine that they KEEP reading and hear stories like the man that fell through and almost died. What may happen? could it be that they..gulp...LEARN? Now becoming a little less "dumb".

I know all these sensors and rule makers have great intentions. But no one learns from doing it right. Sometimes it takes an "dumb person", or unlucky person, or uneducated person, or un..whatever person, doing it wrong and then being made an example of, for some people to learn.

Ostriches think its safe when they stick their head in the sand, but even us "dumb people" know that doesnt make it true.

Sirlips. With all due respect, your post is the only thing that should be deleted here. It's offensive, off-handed, and derogatory.

Did these guys perhaps make a poor decision? Yes, it was risky, but that doesn't make them dumb, or uneducated. Nor does it give you the right to attack and demean them, and others that fish early ice, just because you would have used a different approach.

It's not our place in this world to judge everyone else. I agree that this is a good opportunity to teach people when and where to use good judgement, but it's not the time or place to belittle, and insult anyone just because you can.

I could understand the post if they had just hammered the eyes, but for catching only 2 fish, come on. Funny how he remembered to get the Vexilar promo picture though.

Didn't mean to stir the pot with this post, just trying to get everyone pumped up. Believe me last week when we were on the ice it was anywhere from 3 1/2'' - 5 1/2''. I would never attempt to go on ice that I thought was unsafe. I have a wife and children to consider, so I'd never put myself in that situation. For now with these warm temps the ice is looking worse so we're on a stand still until we start getting some cooler temps again. Which according to the extended forcast should hopefully be here friday, so once things start to firm back up we'll be out there checking like we do and once again fishing once it's safe.

Everybody should do the polar bear plunge once in their life to see what it's like down there.

I'd recommend doing it through one of the charity things so water rescue folks are there on stand by if you freeze up and can't move.

@ BearPawGuides, thanks for clearing this up! I know you and have fished with you and understand the intent of this post. I know that you are responsible, and that you would not take any unneeded risk. Thanks for the post, and I will be the first to say that I am sorry for all of the negativity towards you. Keep up the good work, see you in January!!

I did the step into a slush pocket that sunk my one leg in water to mid thigh. I was 300 yards off shore on foot and over 30+ plus feet of water. When The crusted snow gave way my heart dropped and it felt like eternity until I hit solid ice below. That walk back was hell on earth with a soaking wet leg that froze like a tree trunk. I also fell out of my boat in early april into water that was only 37 degrees on the surface fully dressed. Luckily I slipped while launching it and only fell into about a foot of water. It was enough for me to submerge completely and I had the gasp reflex and actually inhaled water and came up gagging and spitting water out. I stripped to my boxers and drove home with the heat blasting. That ten second dip in that cold of water made me never want to experience it again. It is amazing how it instantly takes it out of you and makes you panic even though I know what to do. As for these guys, to each their own and I'm not here to scold someone I don't even though. But I know it wouldn't be for me.

All in all; the lake will freeze and we will be fishing right on schedule as we always have. It will give us time to make sure the all the gear from tackle to heaters is working and ready.

Well I had intentions of cleaning my boat and putting all of my open water gear away toady until I got a call from Tyler Brasel saying “lets go!” So I grabbed a rod and the Vex and was on my way to Red. We checked ice for a few hours before deciding on a spot, let me tell you the ice is not safe, heck NO ICE IS SAFE! We were very cautious and used the buddy system the whole day. We were only .5 mile off shore and were fishing in 6-7 FOW. We ended catching only two walleyes but being on the ice on Nov 14th is a good feeling. One thing both of us can’t stress enough it’s still VERY early in the season and the best ice is only a week to two weeks out. When you take 1 hard smack with the chisel and it goes through clean you’re not on very much ice! So again one thing I can’t stress enough is PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS. All in all a fun evening and like I said the best fishing is only a couple weeks out.

[NOTE FROM ADMIN: Lake ice is never safe!!

Tyler Brasel is with Bear Paw Guide Service. They know Upper Red Lake. Please do not attempt this. To survive a catastrophic event you need to be highly skilled navigating thin ice with ALL of the proper safety precautions. Especially considering what wind can do to thin ice in a hurry. Tyler and Spenser need to be prepared to have the ice fail. Nice Photo guys.]

Earlyice1-2.jpg

Was this trip really necessary?

Seriously, if they had 3.5-5.5 inches. Walking should be ok. All the BMBHU (Before Mandatory Bike Helmet Usage) books said two inches was ok to walk on. Yeah, I know it's a big body of water and early ice shifts more than a politician's view at election time. But still, 3.5 inches is thick enough for walking especially since (and no offense intended), he don't look all that large. Me, I'm 6'2" and right around 3 bills. Am I gonna be out on 3.5", heck no. Am I going to be out on 6"? No. Personally, I start ice fishing around the time that the saying "Auger extensions required" becomes popular smile . Why? Because I hate walking over ice that's covering water over my head. Heck, I bass fish and I only caught two fish in water over my head this summer/fall... in a boat... with a life jacket on...at all times.

Everybody should do the polar bear plunge once in their life to see what it's like down there.

I'd recommend doing it through one of the charity things so water rescue folks are there on stand by if you freeze up and can't move.

Been there and have done it for the last 5 yrs!! its the one time I fall thru on purpose and it's called "freezin for a reason"

funny how the guy who started this thread has not came back and said something....unless I missed it.

Maybe we'll see them fishing on ice (URL) on October 14th next year?

You did... 8 posts back I think.

funny how the guy who started this thread has not came back and said something....unless I missed it.

Maybe we'll see them fishing on ice (URL) on October 14th next year?

Haters are gonna hate thats for sure! I think he made it pretty clear in his post it is not safe and not to do it. If someone was dumb enough to see the post venture out because of it and they found themselves in trouble I would say that is darwin at work. If this guys was comfortable with his experience and wanted to give it a go I don't see how it affects any of you unless you are the rescue worker pulling in from the ice cube. I know guys who fish Chequamegon bay and bring boats with them because they run into ice issues so often. I suppose those guys should be lectured too eh?

I will wait till there are a few inches under my feet but there will always be those who risk it a bit earlier. Thanks for the post. It got me jacked up for the season. One more weekend of chasing birds then it is onto the ice! Be safe ladies and gents.

I've done the first ice thing in the metro before and left due to others just walking out to ask me how much ice was there and did I catch anything. None of them had ice picks or checked the ice on the way out. In a way, I thought I was putting others in danger by being the first one out.

Ya being the first one out may come with some bragging rites but to put others at risk when it comes to rescuing your a..es is not worth a vexlar add with a walleye behind it. Last year when our local deputy and a friend went for a ride it took several departments and an hour to get them to safty and they had 6" of ice. IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT.

Haters are gonna hate thats for sure! I think he made it pretty clear in his post it is not safe and not to do it.

This is quite clear after reading all the comments! Wow! Just made a simple post to get people excited and stressed multiple times the ice isn't safe. Stay safe and use caution this early season. See you Monday Tyler! wink

I would never attempt to go on ice that I thought was unsafe. I have a wife and children to consider, so I'd never put myself in that situation.

You SAY you would never, but yet you just did, about the same time that people were searching the same lake for the body of a person who did fall in.

I appreciate the report and the fact that you used your OWN good judgement to stay safe while you were out there. It does get most of us fired up!

Most of us would not question Your judgement, when you are the one who was there in person assessing the situation as you progressed out as far as you could safely do so.

The longer I have been around it just seems to be getting worse and worse over my almost 50 years, along with our burgeoning nanny police state. How many times have those of us who like to get out on early ice been hassled by those who just can't get their mind around the concept of individual responsibility?

I get it all the time from family members who have never spent any time on ice, passers by on city lakes who call the cops to try and chase intrepid ice fishers off the lake, and my favorite; the news reporters on TV who endlessly harp on the early and late ice fishers to stay off the ice!

As sportsmen and women we don't put ourselves in situations in the outdoors that risk our life any more than the risk we all face every day just driving back and forth to work, or other destinations. Personally I feel safer and more secure out on ice that I have deemed as safe than almost anywhere else.

Agreed. If we all relegated our responsibility to others, the world would be a far scarier place. Far too much already has been, and it's scary enough.

Thank you early riser, i couldnt agree more.

I apologise if my first post sounded like i was giving bearpawguides a hard time. Not that i wouldn't give them a hard time, but thats only while drinking a beer and standing next to them on the ice. I was simply using this as an example of why NOT to sensor stuff, which was the post i was replying to. I didn't think going on the ice was dumb, i think that there are people, UNLIKE bearpawguides, that don't know what they are doing, or the lake they are on, and would be DUBM for them to do what bearpaw did. Not that they know everything, but they can make an educated decision based on years of knowledge. Unlike possible readers here...who may have attempted the same thing had they not read threads like this one. (again, why we should not sensor great posts like this, or any other for that matter) Sensoring should come from the reader, you decide to read what you want, and if you dont like it, stop reading.

As far as bearpawguides? I trust them. They will not get any grief from me. He has the right to walk out on 1/2 inch ice if he chooses to..I know he wouldnt, but just saying. Since they are the only outfitter that ever gets my money when i go to U.R. i know they know what they are doing. When i let a man navigate ice breaks and humps with me and mine on the trialer behind him, i better trust him...i did and will again each time we use him this year. (not to mention the fish we put on film last year due to him knowing the lake so well, when others couldnt catch a cold)

As far as feeling safe on the ice.. again early riser is on point. I would feel safer drinking a beer with a cig hanging between my fingers on 5 inches of ice when its 10 degrees out, than drive between two semi's with a socker mom in her "safe mini van" in front of me on I94 in route to said lake.

So what was the whole point of this thread? To brag an then tell everyone to stay off the ice the ice? That all I'm reading here.

Point? Vexilar commercial! Sweet pic, Tyler.

Jonny P.- very captivating and informative post. Thank you.