• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Navionics app for Android/iphone - ice fishing GPS

icefishingmn

I had a question about Navionics app, is the app good for ice fishing and how accurate is the map it self, i mean like does it mark the exact spot. If anyone had experience with it, please share, thanks smile

Its great for ice fishing. The accuracy can vary a bit from lake to lake but overall has been fairly accurate for me. Can't go wrong IMO.

I have not yet used it. I bought it about a week ago for the upcoming ice and open water seasons. I have played with it a bit, but haven't used any lake maps as yet. Seems like a good app to me though.

I used it last year...it works great...I found a couple spots where it was off a bit, but mostly works very well especially for $15.. definately worth it

If you already have or plan on keeping the phone for reasons other than the app, it is a no brainer. Spent 13 bucks on it a few years ago and paid for it self countless times over. Some lakes I like the lake master chip better and others the navionics. But all in all, it is just like a chip with great resolutions on larger/popular lakes and not particularly accurate on the smaller ones that I think they just use DNR mapping on, but still beats carrying around paper. Using it on the droid is a battery killer though.

Yes, the app eats the battery, well not so much the app, but constant use of the GPS. If managed properly and exit out of the App each time you won't have an issue.

Having an extra charged battery is always a good option. You can get them with a charger for super cheap on the big auction site. I did that for the last 4 or 5 months.

With the Razr MAXX I shouldn't have to worry it too much anymore.

I have it for android. I like it. it's kind of slow for open water use. it doesn't display your position quick enough when trolling. But that won't be a problem for ice fishing. Im excited to have it this ice season because I've never had gps for ice fishing. For battery consumption. Buy a cheap 12 volt flasher battery and a cheap car charger for your phone. Then get a 12 volt receptacle ( cigaratte style that the car charger uses) make a little box to hold battery and charger and receptacle. Now you can run your phone for a day or two using the constant power from the 12 volt battery. And the cord being connected to you phone will slow it down if you drop it.

To combat the battery usage issue, I bought myself an external battery pack. It is a device about the size of a deck of cards that has a couple USB ports. Plug a USB to Micro USB cord in and plug the other end into the phone. Mine is a 5000mAh and can power my phone on GPS for most of the day without any issue.

I don't like to take my phone out of my pocket when ice holes are around. For 10 bucks, you are dang right I've got it on my phone though. But I prefer my handheld.. touch screen doesn't work to well with gloves on and my garmin will last all day and then some on 2 AA batts.

For 10 bucks I got it a couple weeks ago. Played around with it a bit and so far it looks pretty nice. I found that I have to zoom in on a lake while I'm in an area with good cell service in order to get them to show more detail and then I can open them up again and it basically just uses the gps and doesn't take as long to load the detailed data.

10 bucks is way cheaper than buying a handheld gps and then the lakemaster chip. Even if you have to re-buy it when you get a new phone in a year or two.

10 bucks is way cheaper than buying a handheld gps and then the lakemaster chip. Even if you have to re-buy it when you get a new phone in a year or two.

The purchase is tied into your app store account. Get a new phone, log into your account, and download. Unless you are going from Apple to Android or vice versa you've got it for life.

I have the app for my android and i would say its a definite no brainer to get the app! for the money it cannot be beat. accuracy for ice fishing has been spot on for me and will work well for ice fishing. I will be switching to an Iphone in december and it will be one of the first apps i repurchase with the new phone. No matter which platform you have either android or iphone once you purchase the app its yours for life as said above.

ok the tech thing is still a mystery to me but when I go to my app store there are a couple of different ones I am guessing I want the one that is titled Marine and lakes USA? for 10.36

I love this app and use it all the time...only drawback is the small screen..I noticed that they offer a HD version for Android tablets for 36 or 37 dollars. Since I have a 10" tablet I think i might try that.....anyone else tried the tablet version yet.?

Yes GSP4ME, it has all lakes in us, not like lakemaster that has only by state, cause i think they make them for the whole world.

The one with Canada is the one for an extra $5. This app is worth every penny, its as accurate as my HDS Lowrance and battery drain on ice has never been a problem on my I Phone. I mean, why would you have it on for long periods of time? I can say an hour was nothing on my battery when I forgot it was on one day.

I would also highly recommend this app! It's great for marking spots and coming back to them as well as finding breaks, humps, etc.

Bought the app two winters ago for my motorola droid2. Really nice to have. I have been in white outs and coming off the lake at night and this thing gets me back to the landing. It has a cool track feature on it that comes in handy cause once your to your spot you can shut it off and when you turn it back on you can follow that track back to the landing. By biggests complaint is that the detail sux for upper red vs the lakemaster. I fish there 90% of the time in the winter, but I like its tracking feature. That and on little screens I have to have reading glasses on to read depths.

... battery drain on ice has never been a problem on my I Phone. I mean, why would you have it on for long periods of time? I can say an hour was nothing on my battery when I forgot it was on one day.

One way you could accidentally "have it on for long periods of time" is by hitting your 'home' button rather than 'back' when you want to exit. If you are at the map screen and hit "back", it will turn off the GPS and exit. If you instead hit the "home" button, it will exit but it leaves the GPS on. At least that's how it works in the version I have.

I think it's operating in the mode they intended it to. I imagine this is so that you can go and do things like check email, browse, the web, etc. and come back and see the map where you last left it. But, it can lead to a dead battery if you have an oversight.

At least this is how it works in the version I have (not sure if it's been updated in the new one because I don't want to pay for it again).

Aanderud, thats exactly how I did it but an hour wasn't bad. I left my security camera app at my business on overnight once and learned the hard way to keep turning off programs you're not using. The security camera cost me $10 in extra data charges for the night.

The 10 dollar version is just for the lower 48, the 15 dollar version gives you that plus all of canada,alaska,hawaii. For 5 bucks if you only go to canada once or alaska once it will pay for itself. Its also handy if your fishing border waters like LOW.

Does anybody have any experience with this program on both platforms (Apple and Android). I have it on my old iPhone 3gs (now used as iTouch) and my iPhone 4, but I just got a Razr M for personal use and am debating putting it on there since the screen is a little bigger. Is it any smoother or more accurate on Android? Or is it about the same? For the extra 1/2" in screen size I'm not spending $15 but if the GPS works better or uses less battery maybe it would be worth it.

If yo go to the google app store on your android it may already be there because you paid for it on your Iphone. It might not if the Android has a different phone number.

I used it on an Iphone 4S and I have it on my droid razr. Performance is essentially the same. No noticeable difference. Like DTro said though, download speeds will be noticeable because the Razr is 4G LTE where the Iphone was not. When I initially bought the app I had a Droid Incredible. It was only a 3G phone. It took me over an hour to download the whole app over wifi, couldnt do it over 3G connection because it kept erroring out.

When I got the new phone it installed in 8 minutes because of the 4G LTE!

The one significant difference between the Droid version and the Iphone one is that Droid does not have pinch zoom at least the version of the app I have does not. Not a major deal, but a nicer feature that the IPhones have.

GPS accuracy will be about the same with either. Battery life is bad no matter what you do or what phone you have.

Yeah the addition of the pinch zoom was the biggest reason i caved in and bought the rereleased app. I wasnt happy they made us rebuy it....oh well.

Also the latest version allows you to only download small sections or even certain lakes which makes it much faster.

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll just save my $15. It will be extra nice being to use my old 3Gs and not having to worry constantly about dropping my nice phone in the hole or in the snow. My good phone can stay in the truck or in the fish house.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have an S5 and an Navionics app? I picked up the new phone yesterday and can't find it on Google Play?